Combining Grid power and solar power

13 Posts
Jun 30, 2009 02:48 am
Combining Grid power and solar power

Hi,

I want to install a solar PV system along with grid power such that when there is a deficit of solar energy, I has to take "REMAINING" from the grid.

Can anyone clearly say whether it is possible or not.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2009 02:50 am by Tech Guy »

28 Posts
Jun 30, 2009 09:56 am
Re: Combining Grid power and solar power

Normally a typical grid tied (utility interactive) system goes both ways but it does what you want. If there is enough sun to cover your load than you don't buy any utility power. If you have more sun than your current load, it sends power to the utility which typically gives you a credit for the extra power you are producing. If there is not enough sun to cover your load, than the utility supplies you the difference. 

Of course anytime that you hook power generating equipment to the utility, you need an agreement with the utility and the equipment needs to be installed to the National Electrical Code (NEC)and the interconnecting inverter will have to meet certain standards.

578 Posts
Jun 30, 2009 09:58 am

without batteries, a grid tie system will not run if the grid is down, it is important to point out.  grid tie systems are very strictly regulated, and must adhere to the national electric code, be inspected, and have the appropriate interconnection agreement with the utility in question.

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

13 Posts
Jul 1, 2009 02:16 am

What is the device that supplies the difference power from the grid

578 Posts
Jul 1, 2009 09:19 am

i dont understand your question, but this may help.

grid supplies main panel, when sunny inverter also supplies main panel reducing demand for electricity from grid.

if more electricity is coming from inverter than main panel demands at any instant, the excess is sold back to the electric company.

if 10 minutes after that instant, the loads get to be larger than what the inverter is putting out, the grid was always there and is supplying the difference.

the grid tie system generally offsets what is pulled from the grid when weather conditions allow.

hope that helps,

james
altE staff

AltE

13 Posts
Jul 2, 2009 12:44 am

Thanks a lot for ur answer.

This is what I exactly want.

From your words I understood that, it is the inverter which supplies the offset power when there is a deficiet from the solar.

Can you please specify some of those inverters which do these functions. Also I need remote monitoring of the inverter.

578 Posts
Jul 2, 2009 08:39 am

no,

for straight grid tie inverters, the following is true.

the inverter only supplies solar energy when it is available from the solar array, and the grid is up and running normally.

the electric company (grid) supplies all the energy not supplied by solar, including at night.

james
altE staff

AltE

13 Posts
Jul 4, 2009 12:38 am

Yes of course it is the grid that supplies the deficit, but what i am asking is whether the inverter is able to calculate the deficit and take from the grid if the solar/battery power is not sufficient?

If it is the case please specify me the inverter companies which are having that option.

578 Posts
Jul 4, 2009 11:01 am

hello,

all the prior posts are assuming a grid tie system WITHOUT any batteries.  systems with batteries are a different can of worms.

as far as inverter calculating for straight grid tie inverters, it just outputs what it can, no calculations.  the grid is always there running all loads that are not offset by the solar production.

james
altE staff

AltE

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!