Charge Controller

55 Posts
Nov 9, 2008 05:41 pm
Charge Controller

I have a off brand charge controller. Rule off thumb if the solar array is disconnected and the battery is connected if I use my DVOM and go to the + and - on the solar array side what voltage reading should be there if any?

Nov 9, 2008 06:09 pm
Re: Charge Controller

None. If its a good charge controller, because it should "see" this as being the same as nightime and stop all "reverse" flow to the PV array.
Does it have an electro magnetic coil relay in it or is it all solid state?
« Last Edit: Nov 9, 2008 06:13 pm by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

55 Posts
Nov 9, 2008 06:22 pm

O I did a bad thing today. It is MOSFET controller. Well I have proven something to myself and others should read this. Today the controller I attached to the 12V side of my generator on attempt 2 smoked. The LED for charging comes on and the voltage drop is correct from array side to batt side BUT there is 5V when the array is detached. I did check this with solar panels not the Gen.

55 Posts
Nov 10, 2008 08:37 pm

So what can I use to regulate the voltage that my generator creates on it 12v side. I want to charge the battery while it is unattended safely?O and buy the way it makes more like 17v .

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!