800A deep Cycle Bank in Storage - Need Trickle chg specs/configeration for Solar

2 Posts
Jan 9, 2009 09:21 am
800A deep Cycle Bank in Storage - Need Trickle chg specs/configeration for Solar

In a marine configeration, I have a 800ah house battery bank of deep cycle batteries that goes into storage, fully charged, for periods up to 18 mos. I am looking to keep a maintenance charge on the bank over this period to compensate for the self dischage. I assume I will need a 3 stage regulator to prevent boiling , regardless of solar output?? Secondly what output should i be looking for for this service? 50w? any guidelines on this area?
thx
A:)*

Jan 9, 2009 04:15 pm
Re: 800A deep Cycle Bank in Storage - Need Trickle chg specs/configeration for Solar

Sounds as though you have it figured out allready. The greatest concern is that they do not bubble and the best way to achieve this is by keeping the voltage down to no higher than 13.2 volts at 12 vdc nominal provided that *cold weather isn't a factor. 50 watts of PV should do nicely. Check the modules "working" voltage, no need for an 18 volt module when a 14 volt or below would do the trick. Any solid state PV charge controller that can be set to a high voltage of 13.2 at 12 vdc nominal will do. The old off/on relay type PV charge controllers have the potential of "sticking" with age, I wouldn't recommend that type for an un-maned system particularly. Mind you this is just for a storage maintenance charge. It would be a really good idea, I dare say necessary, to invest in hydro caps. 18 months is a long time without supervision. Unless of course these are sealed batteries. You may want to look into desulfators as well. It would be a good idea too, when they come out of a long storage like that to; top off the water and run them through an equalizing charge before putting them into service. Be sure all connection are clean and tight and that any exposed terminals are coated to resist corrosion as well be sure that all loads are removed from the batteries.
http://www.solarhaven.org/BatteryDesulfator.htm
http://www.semarine.com/store/product.php?productid=315&cat=212&page=1
*If cold weather is a factor it might be necessary to bump up the voltage a little, say 13.6 but definitely no higher than 14 because this is when bubbling starts and with no one there to replace water in the electrolyte well, you know the rest I am sure.
« Last Edit: Jan 9, 2009 04:29 pm by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

2 Posts
Jan 10, 2009 09:15 am
Re: 800A deep Cycle Bank in Storage - Need Trickle chg specs/configeration for Solar

Tom,
Thank you for the time and info provided in your post. I am by no means an expert in battery maintenance but have full timed aboard a bluewater sailboat for 16 years and now find myself sharing boat time with an rv. So I can speak the battery langague. In the boat I am running 6 conventional GC 220AH batteries in a parallel/series arrangement. Anyway I kno you can boil down even a large battery bank with a small trickle charger. I just never had worked with solar untill I got the motorhome where I have an AGM bank with 220w on the roof and a conventional regulator.
On the boat I just wasnt sure if there was a formula for trickle maintence re bank size vs wattage when placed in storage. Seems I read in my 12v bible, "Living on 12 Volts with Ample Power" that the self discharge rate on a deep wet cell battery is about 1%/month. I do use a 3 stage charger on both the house inverter and the engine regulator /alternator. Both have equilize capability which i use as needed. I typically float at 12.45v so as to reduce water loss. So all this rambling leads down to a question or two...is a 50w panal an overkill? and next ...what regulator do you suggest for such small duty? Are any of the regulators adjustable as to output float voltage? Can you suggest other forum sites covering this area?
ths again
Alan
thanks for your help
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2009 09:18 am by Dynamo1181 Wi »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!