Solar Hot Water - Heat Exchangers

72 Posts
Nov 1, 2008 09:44 am
Solar Hot Water - Heat Exchangers

Do any of the retro fit heat exchangers push heat in to the existing tank continuously?

By continuously I mean, via a controller and heat differential settings of course.

It looks like many, or even most, only work by providing extra thermals to the incoming line. In other words, they are attached, in line, to the hot water tank incoming 'cold' line.

I would prefer an exchanger that is continuously heating the existing tank, via some sort of circulation.

Since most of my use is during early morning and late evening, and I've read that a huge portion of electric hot water heater consumption happens during stand-by. I'm very interested in finding the best method of getting heat in to my existing tank whenever it is available, and whenever the heating coils would have needed to turn on.

Anyways,
The Helio-Pak Pro exchanger looks very interesting to me ... mostly because of the wireless monitoring. I really like that idea.
But, Its not clear to me how and when it adds heat to the existing tank. Is it only on the input during consumption?

http://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Water-Heaters/Heat-Exchangers/Heliodyne-HelioPak-Heat-Transfer-Appliance-HPAK-16/p6650/

462 Posts
Nov 1, 2008 10:04 am
Re: Solar Hot Water - Heat Exchangers

Kieth, I think you need to take a closer look at the unit. Basically it works whenever the fluid in the panels is hotter than the water in the tank, just as any other system that uses a differential controller, not just when hot water is needed.
 So when the fluid in the panels is hotter than the water in the tank, the pumps turn on. One pump circulates the fluid up to the panels and back. The other pump circulates water from the tank through the heat exchanger loop and is surrounded by the fluid from the panels. You can take your supply and return from where ever you want. Usually you will use the drain and the relief valve location on a typical tank. You have to add a tee to both locations and pipe from there. 

19 Posts
Mar 5, 2009 07:16 pm
Re: Solar Hot Water - Heat Exchangers

check out the Sungrabber system; it is an exchange system and is automatic based on ambient outside temp in comparison with temp of storage tank.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!