what is the cost of uninstalling solar panels compared to installing them?

3 Posts
Dec 10, 2006 11:25 pm
what is the cost of uninstalling solar panels compared to installing them?

Hi everyone, I need to find out a ballpark figure for how much it would cost to uninstall a 160 kW solar pv system.  Any ideas?  Thanks!
Lindsay

578 Posts
Dec 11, 2006 11:34 am
Re: what is the cost of uninstalling solar panels compared to installing them?

Well, taking things apart is usually easier than putting things together.  That is a HUGE job, you would likely have to call a pretty large solar contractor or maybe just an electrical contractor to get appropriate bids.

I just have to know why a system that large needs to be un-installed.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

3 Posts
Dec 11, 2006 02:08 pm

Hi James,

The reason I'm looking at this is I'm doing a study on fair market value of solar panels, and a question came up about how much it would cost to uninstall panels and move then as opposed to leaving them and getting the "party" under the rooftop to buy them.  This is from the perspective of a third-party power purchase agreement on a county government scale, which is why the installation is as large as 160 kW.  Thanks for your reply and I'll try to get in touch with an installer!

Lindsay

578 Posts
Dec 11, 2006 03:00 pm

I get it now.  That could be tough to pin down because the new buyers may not care at all about sustainability or the like.  Real factors would include years remaining on factory power output warranty, daily energy production, daily energy production vs. cost of energy offset, cost of removal (like you said), anticipated payback, etc.

Also, it may be interesting to find out if government rebates or tax credits apply when buying renewable energy products used.  for a system this large, the green tags may be worth a lot as well.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

351 Posts
Dec 11, 2006 03:32 pm

Another interesting wrinkle.

If the system was recently installed and received a govermental rebate, tax credit, or utility rebate when installed, would any of those entities want a refund if you un-install it ?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!