Will the investment have a real return?

1 Posts
Apr 18, 2008 07:29 pm
Will the investment have a real return?

I'm a resident of PR and I'm currently paying and average of $0.23/kWh. That includes a somewhat infair cost structure for energy utilization plus the adjustments to the oil price variance which is driving us crazy in the island.

What would be the economics of investing on windmills or other alternative energy source? I'd appreciate any help on the subject.

Luis Cortes
Puerto Rico

Apr 19, 2008 02:46 pm
Re: Will the investment have a real return?

One could "crunch" numbers in order to come up with a few fixed sums that may or may not justify spending a small fortune on renewable energies, but in the end one just has a singular choice that amounts to taking a "leap of faith."

I have often heard it said or have seen it written that the cost of a renewable energies system to supplant conventional electric utilities cost the same as a life time of electric bills, if certain large electric loads, such as, but not limited to, cooking are changed over to liquid Propane or Natural gas.

Reducing the overall electric load is the first and formost consideration. This is where the strength of your faith may get its biggest test. Think of faith as a verb instead of a noun. An action instead of a thing.
 Mankind not only just lived, on this Earth for thousands of years, without the electricity we know today, but flourished. Now what does mankind have?
The automobile and electricity came into the scene at about the same time that global human population began its explosion. And of course the pollution that would ultimately result from all of it. Pity about Earth.

Lets do a little math for the fun of it. $0.23 per kWh huh? Your probably already somewhat conservative with your electricity so I am going to guess that you use 1000 kwh's a month. That would be $230.00 a month. $2760.00 a year and for, I don't know, 45 years? That would be $124,200.00. that is a nice little stack a jack! Of course your "mileage may vary."
The point is you may have to reduce that 1000 kWh's by at least half first. Then consider making your own power. I cant really say for sure because I do not know your situation entirely. Its still going to take a leap of faith by you.

Buyer beware Renewable energies is a sellers market. You will be paying top dollar for your kWh's anyway. A lot depends on how long you live on this Earth.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2008 02:51 pm by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

13 Posts
May 16, 2008 09:32 pm

Luis;
  I don't know if PR has any incentives for Solar, but you might be able to find out on the DSIRE (Database for State Incentives for Renewable Energy) site at Dept of Energy.

Regardless, I would have to say I strongly encourage people to have at least a little bit of their own Electrical Generating Capacity.  A few hundred bucks could get you a 40watt Panel, a Sunguard 4.5 Charge Controller (very important part of the package), a deepcycle batt and an inverter (with Low-voltage Disconnect, so you don't kill the battery by over-discharging it)   I am personally very concerned about the stability of our power supplies at this point, both motor fuels and electric generation.  If there is any kind of 'global power hiccup', there are such slim margins these days that the costs of energy and of Alt Energy equipment might go through the roof.  The great thing about Solar Electric is that you can add them together, so just buy a few, and add to the stack when you can.  (matching the same Model Panel is ideal, but not absolutely necessary)  Batteries and Inverter are often best to buy with an eye for how much you 'ultimately' want, since  batts should be the same age and usage history, and upgrading inverter capacity (more Watts) means a whole new inverter.

Hope this gives some things to think about.

Bob in Portland, Maine

(currently with one 40w Shell and two Kyocera 130w panels from Alt-E store)

184 Posts
May 17, 2008 11:35 pm

I agree with the others.  Installing at least a small system will give you a feeling of freedom from the electric grid with its high costs.  My modest off-grid system meets only about 10% of my electricity needs, but it has served me well during power outages.  I've also learned a lot about conservation, and with everything I've done, I've cut my electric usage in half over the past two years.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!