Solar Chicken Coop

2 Posts
May 20, 2008 03:25 pm
Solar Chicken Coop

I am building a chicken coop in northern New Mexico, it will be fairly efficient; straw bale walls minimal windows E and W a good sized S facing window, all recycled from a friends remodel.  The winter extremes here are around -10F overnight, the coop should have an R of around 40 depending on how much clay I slap up on the walls, the floor and ceiling are going to be ~30 so the birds should be kept alive through the winter  but I am interested in making them thrive enough to lay through the winter which means light and heat.  I am planning a tiny little solar system to power a ceiling fan for ventilation, and have been thinking about the feasibility and economics of expanding that for my other needs.

Looking around for lighting I think a 2 15W full spectrum florescent tube would address the lighting needs, but heat seems prohibitively expensive.  Solar Air heaters seem to be overkill as the square footage will be well under 200 feet, and ceramic heat emitters would keep it warm but place a 12 hour 75-150W load and require what appears to be substantially more investment in PV panels and batteries.  I think I can whip up a little DIY passive solar air heater scaled down from one described in Mother Earth News (I think) a few months ago, but that wont do much over night.  Any problem solving ideas anyone can share?

2 Posts
May 20, 2008 04:49 pm
Re: Solar Chicken Coop

Hi Dylan,

Sounds like an interesting project. A DIY passive solar heater might be a good alternative providing that there is a enough solar energy during the winter & thermal mass in the coop (bricks, rocks, adobe, etc) to store the heat during the day and release it in sufficient quantity during the night.

As you mentioned, electric heating utilizing PV panels is probably not economically feasible.

Another option that you might consider is the use of a backup propane catalytic heater system for use during extreme lower temperatures when solar heating may not be enough. These heaters are very efficient and would use little propane for the space that you describe. The only thing that you would want to make sure of is that there is adequate ventilation to prevent oxygen depletion in such a small space.

Bob
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008 05:03 pm by Robert Reynolds »

3 Posts
May 20, 2008 11:04 pm

Have you looked at builditsolar.com for ideas?  -Kerry

3 Posts
May 20, 2008 11:09 pm

Also, A friend of mine was able to get his six chickens to lay through the winter by wrapping the chicken tractor with greenhouse poly and putting a lightbulb in the roosting/nesting box. 

2 Posts
May 21, 2008 09:42 am

I wonder where the greenhouse poly wrap was?  My main concern is that last winter when we got 2 feet of snow my neighbors who had a 2x4 frame unheated but insulated (blown pink fiberglass) chicken shed had their flock freeze solid, literally one while sitting on an egg.  I figure the R in that house was only 10-15 and I should be able to triple that with out much effort but I am still concerned. 

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a full spectrum (or even just enhanced spectrum) compact fluorescent bulb somewhere, I have only been able to find 18 and 24 inch regular tubes.

-thanks for the replies so far
dylan.

18 Posts
May 21, 2008 12:53 pm

I think the answer to your question is to use solar thermal hot water.  All you will need is 1 thermal panel (water), a tank (heat exchange/storage), a radiator for the coop, a small 12v pump and 2 sensors (coop and panel temp).  You would also need a solar panel and battery for the pump (and lights) but far smaller then the electric heat option.  For the low temps use a non-toxic antifreeze in the system and realize that your system will not have pressure (like city water pressure) so leaks should be minimal.  The tank is to be insulated above what it has now but will give heat for days.  If you like to tinker a bit then maybe you could add a fire place water heater - heat water in pipe inside wood stove and splice to in/out going pipes to the tank.  The temp sensor in the coop regulates the amount of heat.

As far as light - I would go with LEDs.  I would use a 25 LED unit (www.ledlight.com/detail.aspx?ID=220) part # 64985 in super white (500k) which is as close to true sunlight as you can get without actual sunlight.  LEDs are expensive but have no flicker (animals can see flicker) and last far longer than anything else.  You will have to use a series of these so take advantage of the bulk discount.  These LEDs have automotive connectors and I get the matching holder (www.autolumination.com) so I can "change" one out (desk lamp white LED to red) or in case one is bad then you have not "modified" it and can return it for replacement.
Actual sunlight could be used of course (without windows) if you put in fiber optics.  Just run some fibers from the "ceiling" to the outside (side wall exit avoids roof holes).  Use small pieces of clear plastic that are finely sanded for diffusers at the end of each "light pipe" at the ceiling.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!