Private Wind Turbine

2 Posts
Dec 29, 2006 03:45 pm
Private Wind Turbine

I am interested in finding some information on building a Vertical Axis Wind Turbines (VAWT) for a future house.  I have not selected the location yet, but I am looking to find a coastal location with steady wind that comes of the ocean.

I have been doing some reseach and looking into Specs for power generators... trying to figure out how many Watts I need and how big the actual generator is going to be.  But the majority of the information I have found is for houses that run on 110 volts.  I live in Chile and the power here is 220 volts.

Another thing I would like to some day go Carbon Neutral, so the ability to give some power to the power company would be a bonus.

So, I am trying to find out a few things:
How many watts does the average house use?
How big is the generator?
How many watts should the generator produce (is having a few thousand extra a good thing to do)?

351 Posts
Dec 30, 2006 04:00 pm
Re: Private Wind Turbine

Jason

1) How many watts does the average house use?
Wrong question. The average electrical usage of a house in the US won’t mean anything.
You need to know what a similar house near your windmill site uses, or at least what a similar house in Chile uses. You might look at your electric bill for your current house and see if they give you the kilowatt hours used and the number of days in the billing period.
Or, ask your electric company if they can give you the total kWh billed for a year ?

2) How big is the generator?
Depends on the answer to #3.

3) How many watts should the generator produce (is having a few thousand extra a good thing to do)? 
Depends on the answer to #1, AND the average annual wind speed of your site.

Most wind turbines are rated at windspeeeds of 28-32 mph. (Somewhere near 14 meters/second.)   If your site has an average annual wind speed of 5.5 m/s winds (about 12 mph), a 1 kW turbine might only produce 6.4 kWh a day.

In other words, on average, it will produce about 260 watts an hour, not the 1,000 watts it is rated for. So, you must size the wind turbine according to your expected loads and the wind speed at your site.

Having a real capability greater than your needs, is a real expensive mistake. It will drive up your costs tremendously. As a rough idea, figure the system cost at about $ 8,000 (USD) per kW installed.

You might want to spend some time reading the articles here on wind power and energy systems located under the “How-to” tab at the top of the page.

Also, Paul Gipes site has some real good info.     http://www.wind-works.org/
All of his books that I have read, are excellent. I think the store (here) has a couple of them, or you might check your library for them.

Why the Vertical Turbine ? 
I think that about 90% of the Turbines in the world are horizontal (HAWT). I know, that in California, 94% are HAWT.  I would take a hint from that.

Ken

2 Posts
Dec 30, 2006 09:39 pm

"Why the Vertical Turbine?"

I have been trying to do a fair bit of research into this project and from what I can gather a Vertical Axis Wind Turbine is better at lower wind speed, and doesn't need to be as tall as a Horizontal.  Also the Verticals seem to produce more torque then Horizontal models. (very use full adding a gear box to increase the RPMs at the generator)

Both have their pros and cons... looks like I will have to do a bit more research to see what one will be best.

351 Posts
Dec 31, 2006 07:47 pm

Jason:

Here is a good article on the various types of wind turbines.
http://www.otherpower.com/windbasics2.html

Ken

13 Posts
Jan 7, 2007 12:43 am

Jason;
  You might have a look at www.windside.com , a mfr of Savonius VAWT's in Finland, 'developed in 1979 by Mr. Risto Joutsiniemi.'

I can't vouch for their claims, but there is something enticing to me about verticals, too.  For one, I live in a small city, and won't be able to loft a tower, and the designs for verticals will respond instantly to more blustery conditions with gusts in multiple directions. (Down on a lower rooftop, for instance) Horizontals lose precious time turning into the new source. Verticals also claim to be quieter, allowing for some to be attached to residences, unlike many 'Propeller-types'..

It also appears that you might be able to build and loft a Vertical more cheaply, so you just have a few more of them, and gain some stability by not having all eggs in one basket.. in theory.

Good Luck!
Bob Fiske

From their site...

"Why The Windside Wind Turbines are the best on the market?

Quite simply Windside Wind Turbines work when others don’t ! In the gentlest of summer breezes and in violent winter storms. When others fail due to frost, ice, snow or high winds Windside Wind Turbines continue to produce. Windside Wind Turbines will produce at least 50 % more electricity in a year than traditional propeller models. Many things make the Windside Wind Turbines extraordinary and their total life cost make them the best value for money. "

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!