Need help to select batteries

5 Posts
Jul 3, 2007 08:38 pm
Need help to select batteries

Hi,
Currently, I have two battery banks, one that smoked away (consisting of four 8D truck batteries, 3 of them got sulfated)and the other consisting of eight 6 Volt golf cart batteries (they read that are 225Ah 'Trace' batteries for UPS, and inverters, but as long as I know, Trace do not make batteries)and are working pretty well. The thing is I will be moving to a new home that will be off-grid, and can no longer count with the 8D batteries. So I am getting new batteries for  the whole new system which will consist of 12 Kyocera KC-130 Watts solar panels. Right now I am considering one of the following options:

1. Expand the golf cart battery bank to 16 batteries total.

2. Buy forklift batteries, like the 12-85-13.

Please, let me know if which one of those options is the best, or if there is another option I should consider. I do live in Puerto Rico, where I have plenty of sun, but getting batteries such as Deka or Rolls is something like impossible and costs will be out of this world.

Thanks,

Jorge
« Last Edit: Jul 3, 2007 08:58 pm by Jorge Rodriguez »

Aug 5, 2007 05:59 am
Re: Need help to select batteries

I tried those 8-D truck batteries, they are not worth the trouble. At best when brand new they might have around 100 amphrs. of storage but that quickly goes away as it is deep cycled.

Wow! 12- 130 watt modules in Puerto Rico? That should be good for some where around a 10,000 watt hour day. At;
12 volts = 800 amphrs.
24 = 400
48 = 200
Whatever voltage is used, personally, I like to size the battery bank so that the needs are within 20% of the total capacity. In simpler terms, if my watt hour needs over a 24 hour period are 200 amphrs. I just multiply that times 5 for a total battery capcity bank of no less than 1,000 amphrs.
Since you know the PV array size you can go with that. Just pick a voltage and do the same math based, not on what your needs are but what your array can produce in one day, but its better to use the needs for this.

Its been said that older batteries and newer batteries should not be mixed especially if they are not the same brand and capacity. If possible use your existing bank for a dedicated load such as a fridge or something and "slice off a piece" of the array to maintain that bank. Again using the 20% factor. This is important for battery bank longevity. If a deep cycle battery bank is shallow cycled it will generally last longer.
I have had some success with a bank of the golf cart batteries. Trojan T-105's to be exact. 2007 marks the 7th year of service we have gottin from them. They are beginning to diminish though. Whatever battery you use, size by this 20% factor and maintain a constant vigil on their; water level, cleanliness(NO CORROSION), and charge in/charge out. A Bogart TriMetric monitor helps immensely with that last one.

Just a small piece of advice. Think about the future, especially if you have a family. You know how they grow and its so easy to come up with ways to use power when you have it. Its not as easy to maintain that power supply. Just look at the world we live in today and the "energy crisis" that has developed.
« Last Edit: Aug 5, 2007 06:02 am by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

1 Posts
Aug 6, 2007 05:41 pm

For the price you pay, and the difference between AH of a 4D and an 8D battery.  I feel the 8D's are really not worth it.

You really should be getting deep cycle batteries as well.

If you can get fork lift batteries with a bit of care those would be your best bet but extremely heavy, ie once they are in place, they are there.

Obviously the fewer times you discharge a battery and the shallower a discharge you give it the better it will perform over time.

The golf cart batteries,  the T-105 group, while they may be working for you now, unless they are specifically made deep cycle, typically will probably only last you 3 to 5 years before they start dying out as well.  I would not recommend mixing newer and older batteries either, unless you have dedicated banks and charge them seperately.

aaron

2 Posts
Nov 17, 2007 03:03 pm

I live in Texas an want to make them build what I am calling a Windmill Causeway.�  You may recall on South Padre Island the event when both lanes of the Port Isabel Causeway fell. ( right after 911 )

http://www.ropatec.com/�  is a company I found that I think could be used in my idea.�  The new causeway will be 3 to 8 miles long to cross the Laguna Madre. The wind units could run down the center catching even more wing from the passing cars.�  This wind capturing could be done on all roads where wind charts show the bear minimum for lighting.

I would love to use a smaller product (perhaps found here in the US) to retro fit onto areas of HWYs that funnel traffic into making substantial wind speeds.

Connecting the dots form standing on the road in Gallop NM and losing me Stetson to the Front end of a Mac truck to seeing on David Letterman a kid blow 4 roll of TP 80' into the air with his dad leaf blower to just the passer-by that spin the ever spinning pray wheels in Tibet, I am betting that this vision could replace the stupidity of just building a wall from Brownsville to San Diego. It could be the nextee "New Deal" "WPA (Wind Pay All) [I saw you like Teddy]

iway66 @ iwon.com
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2007 03:13 pm by Sco Baker »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!