Just Beginning

2 Posts
Aug 16, 2008 10:36 pm
Just Beginning

Hi all, new to this forum and hope you can help. I need to get two solar systems, one for now and one for later. I don't want to waste money on something now that can't be expanded upon later. I am moving to Belize in Central America and will be completely off-grid.

The first step will be living in a travel trailer on my property while I supervise construction of a house which may take a year. Power requirements for the trailer itself aren't that much unless I use the microwave or air-conditioning. I will be bringing a generator with me for both battery charging and use of power tools. Refrigerator is gas. Well I certainly don't want to be using the generator all the time since the goal is to have a house run completely on solar and maybe wind energy.

So what should I buy now that won't be obsolete or unusable with a full-blown house system a year or more from now? I know panels and batteries can be added, but what about the controls, charger and inverters?

Phil Morgan

351 Posts
Aug 17, 2008 03:23 am
Re: Just Beginning

I would suggest that you don't worry about it.  Buy the trailer system now.  Live with it for a while. Then design your house system. It will help you make better decisions about the house system.
When you get the house done, you can sell the "trailer" system to someone. It won't be wasted money.
The only way you can do what you are asking, is to get a lot of professional help to design the house system now. Then purchase selected pieces of it for your trailer system.
Don't even count on reusing batteries. Mixing older batteries with newer ones, is not generally a good idea. They will most likely be different sizes anyway.

184 Posts
Aug 18, 2008 09:29 am
Re: Just Beginning

The biggest expense will be for the solar panels.  As long as you buy panels that won't soon be discontinued, you can buy more later when you move from the trailer to the house.  Still, I like Ken's idea:  Learn from your small system, then sell it and start with all new equipment. 

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!