Heating my Work shop in the Pacifc NW

May 10, 2007 12:11 pm
Heating my Work shop in the Pacifc NW

I have a detached garage (24x32)with a 10 foot ceiling built with block and it is unheated. The attic is insulated and the cores of the block are pored with zonelite insulation. I am looking at using the Ra240 Solarmax Solar Air Heater to maintain a better temperature so I can work there in the colder / winter months. (warmer for me and helping to keep my woodworking tools from rusting from dampness) My question is simple: Who has used this unit in this type of space and will it produce / maintain a warmer climate?

13 Posts
May 14, 2007 12:59 am
Re: Heating my Work shop in the Pacifc NW

Rich and Teri;
  Sorry if it doesn't answer your direct question, but I wanted to suggest improving the wall insulation in addition to whatever heat-sources you are adding.  If by block you mean cinder-block, there is a lot of mass there that will allow direct heat conduction, and a Layer of Rigid, Foil-faced foam, ideally as an outside layer to the building would go far in hanging onto whatever warmth you've got.  It can be given siding outside the Insulation, of course, though trimming for doors and windows can take some creativity.

Don't know what your Solar Inputs are like out there, but you might design the racking to allow for additional panels, as you can afford them.

Bob Fiske
Portland, Maine

6 Posts
Jul 28, 2008 10:37 pm
Re: Heating my Work shop in the Pacifc NW

Yes, you can pull all the heat you want from the attic.  I have built 5 passive projects from Bellingham, WA to Vancouver, WA. I have passively heated five building of 144' x 74' and 21' tall with my system's of automatic passive heating and passive cooling in Vancouver. The average cost of heating these building's cost's as low as $1.30 a day to 75 degree's.  I have built these projects since 1984 and the first one's passive solar system cost $45 + the squirrel cage fan system to pull the heat into the interior of the building. The first project was 95' x 55' by 27' tall.  It cost, in today's world, 2008, less then $2.00 per day.  Communicate with me and I will explain and suggest a design for your shop.   Anachronism

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!