- FEATURED PRODUCTS
- Solar Panels
- Solar Power Systems
- Battery Backup Solar Power Systems
- Productos Solares en Puerto Rico
- Charge Controllers
- Deep Cycle Batteries
- MORE PRODUCTS
- Cables & Wiring
- Enclosures, Electrical & Safety
- Heat Pump Water Heaters
- Inverter Power Panels & PreWired Systems
- Meters, Communications & Site Analysis
- Portable Power Systems
- Solar Panel Mounts
- Solar Water Pumps
- Voltage Converters
- Wind Turbines
- Books & Educational Videos
- * Clearance Sale *
- 2020 Solar Installer Conference
8G24 12V, 73.6 AH (20HR) Sealed Gel Cell UT Terminal
|Item code||Brand name||Model number||Volts||Amp Hours|
MK / Deka Solar
Sealed Valve Regulated
Gelled Electrolyte Lead-Acid Batteries
6V and 12V Models
(Please verify that the default terminal type listed below for the battery of your choice will suit your needs)
Advanced American Technology and the use of the most modern computer-aided design and manufacturing techniques combine to make MK Battery's Sealed Batteries the standard by which all other batteries are measured. MK (Deka) Sealed Batteries are the best the PV/Solar market has to offer. The Deka Solar Valve-Regulated Gel Monobloc series offers reliable, versatile, maintenance-free power. The thixotropic gel enables these batteries to be completely spillproof providing many available options for installation. The gelled electrolyte gives more protection to the battery plates, and is better suited for deep cycle discharge. With longer discharge and less charging time, these batteries are ideal for many renewable energy applications.
- Completely maintenance free. Sealed construction eliminates periodic watering, corrosive acid fumes and spills.
- Electrolyte will not stratify, no equalization charging required. Allows faster recharge.
- Increases durability and deep cycle ability for heavy demand applications.
- Less than 2% per month stand loss means little deterioration during transport and storage.
- Tank formation ensures voltage matching between cells.
- Transports easily and safely by air. No special containers needed.
- Ensures reliable service, support and quality
- MADE IN THE USA
L x W x H
Default Terminal: T874 (no other option)
Default Terminal: T881
Default Terminal: T881 (optional: female 1/4" terminal)
Default Terminal: T872M (no other option)
Default Terminal: Stud (also called LTP) (optional: Dual Terminal with SAE and T876 Post)
Default Terminal: SAE (optional: 8G4D LTP -> T975 post)
Default Terminal: SAE (optional: 8G8D LTP -> T975 post)
Default Terminal: T881 (no other option)
Default Terminal: T876 (no other option)
Default Terminal: SAE (no other option)
How does a gel cell work?
A gel cell is a "recombinant" battery. This means that the oxygen that is normally produced on the positive plate in all lead-acid battery recombines with the hydrogen given off by the negative plate. The "recombination" of hydrogen and oxygen produces water (H2O), which replaces the moisture in the battery. Therefore, the battery is maintenance-free, as it never needs watering.
The oxygen is trapped in the cell by special pressurized sealing vents. It travels to the negative plate through tiny fissures or cracks in the gelled electrolyte.
The sealing vent is critical to the performance of the gel cell. The cell must maintain a positive internal pressure. Otherwise the recombination of the gasses will not take place, and the cell will dry out and not perform.
In addition, the valve must safely release any excess pressure that may be produced during overcharging. Otherwise, the cell would be irreparably damaged.
It's important to note that gel cell must never be opened. If opened, the cell loses its pressure, and the outside air will "poison" the plates and cause an imbalance that destroys the recombination chemistry.
What is the difference between gel cell and traditional wet batteries?
Wet cells do not have special pressurized sealing vents, as they do not work on the recombination principle. They contain liquid electrolyte that can cause corrosion and spill if tipped or punctured. Therefore, they are not air transportable without special containers. They cannot be shipped via UPS or used near sensitive electronic equipment. They can only be installed "upright".
Wet cells lose capacity and become permanently damaged if:
- Left in discharged condition for any length of time (due to sulfation). This is especially true of antimony and hybrid types.
- Continually over-discharged, due to active material shedding. This includes specially designed deep cycle wet cells, but is especially true of automotive types.
Deep cycle antimony wet cells have seven times less shelf life as well.
Our gel cells have triple the deep cycle life of wet cell antimony alloy deep cycle batteries due to the gel cells unique design.
How do gel cells recharge? Are there any special precautions?
While our gel cell will accept a charge extremely well due to its low internal resistance, any battery will be damaged by continual under- or overcharging. Capacity is reduced and life is shortened.
Overcharging is especially harmful to gel cells because of their sealed design. Overcharging dries out the electrolyte by driving the oxygen and hydrogen out o f the battery through the safety valves. Performance and life are reduced.
If a battery is continually undercharged, a power-robbing layer of sulfate will build up on the positive plate, which acts a s a barrier to electron flow. Premature plate shedding can also occur. Performance is reduced and life is shortened.
Here are some tips from the altE staff
- Can gel cells be installed in sealed battery boxes?
- NO! Never install any type of battery in a completely sealed container. Although the normal gasses (oxygen and hydrogen) produced in a gel cell battery will be recombined as described above, and not escape, oxygen and hydrogen will escape from the battery in overcharge condition (as is typical of any type of battery). For safety's sake, these potentially explosive gasses must be allowed to vent to the atmosphere and must never be trapped in a hermetically sealed battery box or tightly enclosed space!
Reliable Severe Weather Battery
I have purchased and installed five of these MK-8G24 batteries for starting three boats and two Onan 16 kW generators. There is never a worry about the batteries in the severe winter weather here in Northwest Ontario. My best results have been with single battery installations, not in voltage or ...
Read the full review