- FEATURED PRODUCTS
- Solar Panels
- Solar Power Systems
- Battery Backup Solar Power Systems
- Puerto Rico Solar Products
- Charge Controllers
- Deep Cycle Batteries
- MORE PRODUCTS
- Cables & Wiring
- Enclosures, Electrical & Safety
- Heat Pump Water Heaters
- Inverter Power Panels
- Lighting & Fans
- Meters, Communications & Site Analysis
- Portable Power Systems
- Refrigerators & Freezers
- Solar Panel Mounts
- Solar Water Pumps
- Voltage Converters
- Wind Turbines
- * Clearance Sale *
Morningstar DC-Coupled Retrofit Battery Backup System
|Item code||Model number|
|KITDCCOUPMSTAR1||Morningstar DC Coupled 1|
See these videos with Morningstar to learn more about this 600V Solar Charge Controller and how DC Coupling works!
Morningstar DC Coupled
Retrofit Battery Backup System
Are you looking for a system to power your most important electronics during a power outage? Is scaleability important to you? And the added efficiency of having a charge controller manage your energy storage during such times? If so, let's talk about the basic concept of "DC Coupling".
How does a DC Coupled system work?
DC Coupling is, in essence, the retrofitting of a grid-tie solar power system to include battery back-up without changing the PV array configuration. At the center of this system is the Morningstar TriStar MPPT 600V Charge Controller. This controller features a DC Transfer Switch, which is great for systems that were just set up as grid-tie. Now, during a power outage, you are able to switch from the grid-tie inverter that is in your system, to a battery back-up solution - with the flip of a switch. And have power when the grid goes down - all hope is not lost! And it's scaleable - start with a small battery bank for only your most critical loads, and add batteries and inverter capacity in the future, if needed.
To be more specific, in this solution, the controller continues to keep the batteries charged while the grid goes down, so that you'll have power for lights, the refrigerators, the computer, or cell phone charger. Then, when power is restored, you simply turn the controller's transfer switch from "Controller On" to the "Grid On" position.
Another big benefit of using the Morningstar TriStar MPPT 600V Controller with Transfer Switch is that you can OVERSIZE THE ARRAY - without harm to the controller. Yes, that's right! Though the max array input power for the controller is 3.2kW, there is no issue connecting a 6kW or even 7kW array to it. This is not the case in an AC coupled solution, where the max array power is usually 85% or 90% of the inverter power. The Morningstar MPPT Controller will limit the input power and provide it's rated continuous output current into the batteries. So during sunny conditions, the controller ignores input power in excess of 3.2kW, protecting the smaller battery bank. On cloudy days, however, you still get full power from the larger array. In this DC Coupled solution, when connected to an oversized PV array, the controller will put out significantly more power. Huge benefit. See more great info in Morningstar's White Paper on DC Coupling vs. AC Coupling.
Until now, the only options to add backup power to your Grid Tie System were a Generator, which pollutes, is noisy, needs maintenance and periodic cycling, or AC Coupling which is fairly complex, and much more costly. With the Morningstar DC Coupling solution, you can have clean, economical backup power to run your critical loads when the grid goes down. It requires no roof work, and you can leave your PV array just as it is. It can be installed outside, in your garage, or in the basement. You just need to add the following:
|Morningstar DC Coupled System 1:|
|Part Number||Item Description||Quantity|
|MORTSMPPT600DTG||Morningstar TriStar 600V MPPT Charge Controller with Transfer Switch, GFPD||1|
|MORTS-M-2-600V||Morningstar TriStar Digital Meter for TS-MPPT-600V Charge Controller||1|
|SCNCONSW4048||Schneider Electric Conext SW4048 Inverter/Charger||1|
|XANXWPLSYSCNTRL||System Control Panel for SW Inverter/Chargers||1|
|MIDMNE175SW||Midnite Solar E-Panel for Conext SW Inverter/Chargers||1|
|OUTEC-200NC||Outback Power EnergyCell 200NC 178Ah 12V AGM Battery||4|
|ALTBC-2/0-120RB||altE Battery to Inverter Cables, 2/0 10Ft,Pair||1|
TriStar MPPT 600V Charge Controller, Transfer Switch, GFPD
This version of Morningstar's TriStar 600V MPPT Solar Charge Controller comes pre-wired with a Ground-Fault Protection Device (GFPD), for the ultimate safety. This feature is used in electrical systems to prevent current from following any unintended paths. It is critical to detect any stray current, and to interrupt (break) the circuit until safe operation can be restored. Any current imbalance between the (+) and (-) conductors of a circuit indicates a ground-fault. Morningstar's GFPD-600V will detect this condition, and break the circuit on both the (+) and (-) legs, ensuring interruption. As with the TR model, this charge controller is available with a DC Transfer Switch. This feature is ideal for systems that were just set up as grid-tied. Now, during a power outage, you are able to switch from the grid-tie inverter that is in your system, to a battery back-up solution. Easy- you just turn the switch!
- Maximizes energy harvest with recognition of multiple power points during shading or mixed PV arrays
- Can accept up to 2 strings per controller - up 3.2kW of solar. NOTE: The system CAN accept oversized PV arrays (ie. up to 7kW) without harm to the controller
- Wide array input operating voltage range (100-525 V)
- Maximum 60A continuous battery current
- Supports nominal 48 Vdc batteries (custom programmable to 24V, 36V, 60V)
- Parallel operation of multiple controllers from a single source input
- Accepts power from oversized PV arrays without damaging the controller
- Passively cooled for high reliability
- Remote Temperature Sensor included
- Enables system monitoring, data logging, and adjustability, through ethernet connection, and utilizes standard MODBUS protocol and Morningstar's MS View software
- Facilitates simple and cost-effective design (including savings on wiring and labor costs)
- Advanced 4-stage charging algorithm optimizes battery health
- Enables use of existing high voltage PV or small wind turbines for battery charging
- Ease of installation - battery breakers are included for easy connection to battery terminals or E-Panel battery busbar
- Compatible with all Inverter/Chargers, E-Panels, and battery technologies
Conext SW 4048 Inverter/Charger
The new Schneider Electric Context SW 4048 Grid Tie inverter has been designed to offer improved reliability as well as a low installed cost through ease of installation and integrated features. The Conext SW is a pure sine wave, inverter/charger system with switchable 50/60 Hz functionality. This unit is available in 120/240 VAC, but there is also a 230 VAC model available.
- Configures quickly into compact wall mounted system
- True Sine Wave output
- Generator support for larger loads
- Compatible with FLA, Gel, AGM, Custom batteries
- Supports AC coupled and DC coupled off-grid and grid-tie architectures
- Intelligent functionality enables self consumption with solar prioritization, peak shaving and, assisting small generators with heavy loads
- All models stackable and support both 50 Hz and 60 Hz output
- Remote monitoring and configuration with the Conext ComBox
The MNE175SW E-Panel is designed for use with a single Schneider Electric SW inverter/charger. The SW inverter is mounted directly to the right of the E-Panel. It comes installed with a 175A breaker for the SW4048 Inverter.
Schneider Conext SW E-Panel
- 175A Inverter/Battery breaker
- Knockouts for up to (6) din rail mount AC or DC breakers
- (4) panel mount breakers or DC-GFP80 breakers
- Massive tin plated copper bus bars directly connect to the SW's battery terminals
- Bus bars for AC inputs, AC output, neutral, ground, PV + in, PV- in, Bat +, Bat-
- 500 amp shunt
- Location to mount 2 charge controllers to the top with corresponding knockouts
EnergyCell 200NC AGM Batteries
The EnergyCell NC valve regulated lead acid battery is designed for high power density and frequent cycling in backup, off-grid and renewable energy applications. Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology for efficient gas recombination of up to 99% and freedom from electrolyte maintenance. The EnergyCell NC also features low profile terminals with threaded copper alloy inserts providing reduced maintenance and increased safety (an insert bolt for connection is included with each battery).
- High-density pasted plates for high cycle life
- Lead-calcium-tin alloy plates for long life in both cycling and float applications
- High recharge efficiency
- Compact footprint for higher energy density
- Thermally welded case-to-cover bond to eliminate leakage
- 100% recyclable
This DC Coupled system includes the basics that you'll need for your solar installation. In this table, we've listed a few more items that you may want to include with your system order.
|Recommended System Add-Ons|
|Part Number||Item Description|
|SQUH361RB||Square D 30A DC Disconnect|
|MIDMNEDC-60||Midnite Solar 60Amp 150VDC Panel Mount Breaker|
|OUTEC-200NC||Outback Power EnergyCell 200NC 178Ah 12V AGM Battery|
|ALTBC-2/0-120RB||altE Battery to Inverter Cables, 2/0 10Ft,Pair|
This item is a package made up of the following components. Please call to speak to a sales representative to learn about other options which may be available.
- 1 x Morningstar TS-MPPT-60-600V-48 Tristar 600V 60 Amp MPPT Charge Controller, DC, TR, GFPD
- 1 x Morningstar TriStar Digital Meter for TS-MPPT-600V Controllers
- 1 x Schneider Electric Conext SW 4048 Inverter/Charger
- 1 x Midnite Solar E-Panel, Gray Steel, 175A for Conext SW2524 or SW4048 Inverter
- 1 x Schneider Electric Conext System Control Panel (SCP)
- 1 x Battery to Inverter Cables, 2/0 AWG 10Ft (120"), Red/Black Pair
- 4 x Outback Power EnergyCell 200NC Nano-Carbon 12V 178AH AGM Battery
There are no reviews for this product.