Will Williams's posts

Posted by Will Williams on Jul 8, 2008 07:22 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > 2 panels of different voltages
I know this topic has been discussed here before, but I've few questions.

I have 1 panel installed, it's about 18watt and 14-15v, I want to add a second homemade panel, that depending on the way I wire the cells I can get 16v or 33v (and those voltages can drop a fair bit if gets warm and completely tank in cloud cover), is there a way to wire them both directly to batteries (I use a load dump) without any kind of loss to one of the panels? Would installing a blocking diode between the 2 cut out any reverse current going to the weaker panel? And does a larger blocking diode loose more power than a smaller one?

Posted by Will Williams on Apr 28, 2008 02:19 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Electric brake for wind
does anyone have a diagram for an electric brake system for a wind turbine? Not exactly sure how it's meant to work.

Posted by Will Williams on Apr 23, 2008 03:29 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Low battery voltage, adding additional panels
I'm starting to think it's batteries too.
Here's my setup:
4 x 3.5volt panels in a series producing about 16volts going through a 10amp controller to 2 x 12volt batteries in parallel.

Like I said the batteries never get above 12.5 volts even without a load. They are located in the shed and they did pretty cold this winter, it got down to -20f. Could the batteries have froze or completely discharged themselves?

Out of curiosity, would adding these 2 tiny 4.5volt panels directly to the batteries help at all? or would they create some sort of drain on the system?

Thanks for the help Smiley

Posted by Will Williams on Apr 21, 2008 02:29 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Low battery voltage, adding additional panels
My batteries never get above 12.5 volts yet my panels say they are kicking out 16volts, I can't for the life of me figure out why. So I tried adding some tiny panels in a series that produce 4.5 volts, that didn't work out too well, it cut the overall output in half Sad

Is there any way I can add lower voltage panels to the system to try and bring up the battery voltage to a reasonable level?

Thanks!!!

Posted by Will Williams on Feb 18, 2008 09:44 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Wind, Solar Hybrid merging power problem
I think I got it now Smiley thanks!

Posted by Will Williams on Feb 18, 2008 03:04 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Wind, Solar Hybrid merging power problem
so if I'm to understand this right the c40 will go on the wiring *after* the battery, what would save the battery from being overcharged by the wind turbine?

Posted by Will Williams on Feb 18, 2008 02:32 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Wind, Solar Hybrid merging power problem
Hi James,
My current solar setup is a group of 4 small panels producing 18watts (super small!!) with a simple 15amp charge controller from http://greenenergiesllc.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=1  no reverse charge to the panel protection ie. Blocking diode (I don't think the controller has this function).

I just purchased the Xantrex C40 controller from this site and the wind turbine in production will output around a max 100watts. I have 2 oldish sealed lead acid UPS batteries, 75 amph each I think.

Sorry, I'm very new at this Sad please let me know if you need any more info! It's a very simple setup, no fuses or anything yet, still learning.

Thanks Smiley

Posted by Will Williams on Feb 18, 2008 01:20 pm

#8 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Wind, Solar Hybrid merging power problem
I'm building a small wind and solar hybrid system. My problem is safely merging the two power sources through some kind of junction box before it goes to the charge controller, anybody have any ideas how to do this?

Thanks Smiley
Will

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!