Steven Silva's posts

Posted by Steven Silva on Dec 23, 2006 07:06 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Solar Charge Controllers - Is one made with standard "SAE connector" in & out??
Thanks! Your educated guesses make excellent sense. I am much re-assured. I did hope the bigger panel would speed things up though. Still, if it at least compensates for cloud cover, that's something.

So I take it the controller in the Battpak setup wouldn't be needed at all. I'm still curious what effect,if any, it would have.

I also wish I knew more about the relationships of mA, watts, amps and voltage. Is there an "electric current for dummies" site you could recommend? I'm a big fan of solar, but don't understand the tech speak.

Thanks again!

regards,

Stevenjs

Posted by Steven Silva on Dec 23, 2006 02:36 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Solar Charge Controllers - Is one made with standard "SAE connector" in & out??
Ken,

Thanks for responding.

No, I don't expect to use them for both purposes at the same time.

The 12V application is just to keep the battery from dying when not in use, which is most of the time. The 12V battery will run a small outboard motor. I may actually get a second panel for this. 5w is adequate, no?

As for the BattPak charger, the 5w is double the wattage of the solar panel they market as a companion for it, so I would expect very efficient charging there.

Though the Battpak switches over to trickle at some point, they still warn about not leaving batteries in for more than 24 hours, though they don't specify whether this applies to AC charging only or solar charging as well.

Do you think the controller will help prevent an overcharge using the 5w panel? I'd hate to ruin 10 nimh's should I forget to remove them.

regards,

Stevenjs

Posted by Steven Silva on Dec 23, 2006 10:38 am

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Solar Charge Controllers - Is one made with standard "SAE connector" in & out??
Thank you for pointing the SAE controller out to me.

I realize the more common use is with 12V battery tending, but in addition to that use, I intend to use the solar panel with an iSun BattPak,which uses a solar panel to charge up to 10 AA's at atime, and doubles as a power output source for various devices, one adds or removes AA's to power the range of 3.6V to 12V devices. The panel intended for use with the BattPak is lower wattage than the 5w I have with the SAE connector, but costs about the same.

I am not sure a controller is at all necessary with the BattPak, since there is some kind of elementary control built into it, which reduces the charge to trickle at some point in the charging. Perhaps someone could shed light on that. But I figured I'd need it for sure with the 12V battery application, and it wouldn't hurt as insurance with the BattPak, given the vulnerability of nimh's to overcharge and the high price of nimh's.

Again, thank you all who responded.

regards,

Stevenjs

Posted by Steven Silva on Dec 21, 2006 12:37 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Solar Charge Controllers - Is one made with standard "SAE connector" in & out??
Greetings,

I'm a newbie to all this, so please bear with me. I just ordered a Global Solar Accessory Kit from Altenergystore. All of the connectors for the various parts of this kit are described as "SAE connectors."

Where does a charge controller fit into this SAE connector picture, since I have been through nearly every controller offered on this site and not one mentions this type of connector, and few mention anything at all about how it connects either to the solar panel or the battery being charged.

It would really be nice if a controller exists with both incoming and outgoing SAE connections, so hooking the controller to the solar panel (incoming) and (outgoing) to any attachment of choice which ultimately ends at the 12V battery terminals or AA battery charger's power in connection will literally be a "snap."

Is it clear what I am talking about? Does such a charge controller exist? It seems to me they should all be made that way for the sake of "univerality," but instead I find either no mention at all how the controller connects, or references to connections of which I have no knowledge.

Any light you can throw on the subject will be much appreciated.

regards,

Stevenjs

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!