Steve M's posts

Posted by Steve M on Jun 24, 2008 03:12 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Battery Bank Configuration - Wiring
Thanks again John, Yep it looks like the best option is going to be use the bus bar option. The problem I have now is how do I connect all the batteries to the inverter?

Specifically:

How do I keep all cables as short as possible?
How do I keep interconnections to a minimum?
Which metal has the lowest resistance (that is affordable)?

Help/suggestions would be appreciated

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Jun 24, 2008 03:51 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Battery Bank Configuration - Wiring
John/Travis
The bus bar method was mentioned in the article http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html well sort of, it mentioned connecting each battery or group of 4 and on to the inverter.

The bus bar option I like, however, how do I keep the wires short and all 12 of them to the same connection point?

I have the batteries in a vertical rack with 3 batteries on each of 4 shelves.

I think this is going the right way, just need to resolve the above question.

By the way, the article is interesting and is worth a read!

Many thanks

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Jun 24, 2008 03:41 am

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Battery Bank Configuration - Wiring
Thanks for your replies...

Travis - Looking here http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html your suggestion is not the best configuration as the numbers show, this apparently is the most common mistake when it comes to connecting batteries.

I'm still trying to find the best most balanced method of connecting batteries, looking at the data provided in the above link, connecting a small number into a bank and connecting the inverter to the first and last batteries would be the most efficient. However, the article goes on to say this is not the case for 8 or more batteries...

The problem I haven't been able to find another site or method that confirms what is the best. The search goes on...

Posted by Steve M on Jun 23, 2008 07:49 am

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Battery Bank Configuration - Wiring
I have 12 x 110 Ah batteries @ 12 volt, I'm experience voltage drops with small loads on the inverter.

What is the best way to connect the batteries to be most efficient?

I have them connected 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12
Inverter cable 1 connects to battery 6 +&-)
Inverter cable 2 connects to battery 7(+&-)

I've researched on the net but cannot find any conclusive information on the best configuration.

Many thanks

Steve

Posted by Steve M on May 5, 2008 09:51 am

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Panel to converter in-line fuse size?
how many modules do you have in your array?
     3 x 30W, 4 15W & 3 x 10W all wired into 1 controller @ 12V
what make and model module are you using?
     various - without loking at each I don't remember
Charge controller
     Juta CMP45 (45Amp)
nominal voltage of your battery bank
     12V currently, but likely to go to 24V soon

Many thanks

Steve

Posted by Steve M on May 4, 2008 01:12 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Panel to converter in-line fuse size?
Thanks James, now can I have it in English! lol... Or just laymans terms would do.

Many thanks

Steve

Posted by Steve M on May 2, 2008 04:26 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Panel to converter in-line fuse size?
Questions guys, what is the best size fuse to put between the panels and the charge controller?

Does it matter as long as it's big enough to handle the amps the panel produces?

Also should I have fuses anywhere else?

Looking forward to your answers/advice...

Steve

Posted by Steve M on May 2, 2008 04:11 pm

#8 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: What size battery bank for large Inverter?
Thanks Thomas. However, I'm going over to 24 volt soon so I'll be using the 12v system for small applications for now...

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 15, 2008 03:42 pm

#9 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Pole mounted Panels
Thanks Travis, was thinking that may be the case, but if I use a long pole, then it shouldn't be a problem, or would it still be but in other ways?

May be the vibaration from the turbine...

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 14, 2008 12:00 pm

#10 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Pole mounted Panels
Hi
When pole mounting panels, is it best to mount them close together or leaving a space between each?

Also can I stick a small turbine on the same pole?

Quick question, I doubt it'll bring a quick answer...

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 14, 2008 11:58 am

#11 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Connecting batteries up
Hi All
Batteries all reconnected after charging each. Now the bank is all equal whichever battery is checked.

Will be doing some load testing in the coming few days. Have done a small load test, this was 3-400 watts for an hour, the bank dropped from 13.8 to 13.2 under load but soon recovered after the test returning to 13.5 or 6 then recovering quickly with the panels/charger replacing the loss in a very short time.

More to follow...

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 10, 2008 05:01 pm

#12 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Wire for connecting panels to controller
John, thanks for your comments and advice. I'm in the process of charging all batteries seperately.

Then I'm going to talk to an electrician about connecting them all up and all the other wiring at the same time...

Thanks again, although I may take you up on your offer to help configure the system in the coming weeks...

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 10, 2008 04:58 pm

#13 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Connecting batteries up
Update...

Battery bank striped and in the process of being charged individually. Also the battery linking cables are being changed for 8mm thick cable and the connections will all be tested before the bank is rebuilt.

Then I'll run some more load tests! Results will be posted for comments...

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 8, 2008 03:39 pm

#14 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Connecting batteries up
Travis, As you thought, the voltage is dropping quite a bit under load. Here are some test results:

Three readings,
#1 from the 40A charge controller connected to each end of the bank
#2 from another spare controller connected to both terminals on battery #2
#3 from my little multi-meter (set to 20V)connected to battery #4

At the start with inverter off readings as follows:

#1 = 12.7  #2 = 12.9  3 = 12.73

inverter switched on/no load

no change to any

tumble dryer on = 1745 watts shown on the inverter readout

readings = #1 = 12.0 #2 = 12.1  #3 11.41

after approx. 5 minutes still 1745 watts on inverter readoout

readings = #1 = 11  #2 = 12 #3 = random (flickering)

the inverters cooling fan switched after about 7 or 8 minutes

After switching off the tumble dryer the readings were as follows: #1 = 11.8  #2 = 12.5  #3 = 12.34

What do you make of these results?

On your other questions:

No I haven't charged each, but I will be at the weekend...

the batteries are connected with heavy cable, thick multi-strand solid not flexable cable, it think it is what we use for mains incoming to utility meter. This is clamped directly onto the battery terminals, which are the post mounting type with a metal plate held on by two bolts.

looking forward to your comments

thanks again

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 8, 2008 02:31 pm

#15 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Connecting batteries up
Thanks Travis, I'll give that a try. However, 5 x 110 Ah new batteries should be reasonable, I would have thought...

I'll run some tests and post the results.

Thanks again

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 7, 2008 03:48 pm

#16 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Connecting batteries up
Brilliant John many thanks...

Would a 550 Ah battery bank power a 5000 Watt interter?

Steve
Are you asking if it will power the inverter, or if it will power a 5wk load?

How much constant load will you have (how much current will you be drawing at any one time).  What about surge current (like starting a power tool)?

Also, larger inverters tend to have larger constant (phantom) loads, even when they're just sitting there waiting for work to do.

You can power a pretty large workload for a SHORT TIME on a farly small battery array.  The problem is that you'll drain the batteries quickly.

Out of curiosity, what kind of inverter do you have?  If it has two (+) and two (-) connections, it is important to know if they are in series or in parallel.  My guess is that they're parallel, and done so you can use a reasonable size wire x2 instead of twice the wire size x1.  Are those connectors holes with set screws made for 2/0 cable?

Travis Thanks mate. It appears you guys are not only making me think, but posing more questions than answers!

To answer your questions:
Are you asking if it will power the inverter, or if it will power a 5wk load?

Both really, the problem is this: so the testing I've done is to run the tumble dryer (motor ans 2Kw heater) from the inverter. This works find with nothing else initially. However, the 'anti-tangle' system causes the drum to turn for several seconds in one direction then change and so on...

Fine when the heater is not on, but while heating the audible warning on the inverter sounds and the LED that shows the watts drawn and battery volts (switchable) flickers and is unreadable.

This is with the inverter starting from cold, so it is unlikely to be the overheat warning.

The Watt display shows around 2200 while readable. (remember this is, or at least supposed to be a 5K-10K inverter) so 2.2K should not stress it at all.

My question stems from wheather or not there is a requirement for a certain size of battery bank to be big/powerful enough to supply the inverter the power it needs to reach the output level.

The Inverter is a 'Power Jack'. The 2 sets of battery cables are wired to the same battery bank, 1 set to each end. (never remember serial/parallel).

This did help a little, against just one set to batt 1 +/batt 5 -.

The cables are those supplied and are pretty thick...

looking forward to your comments...

Thanks again

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 6, 2008 11:10 am

#17 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Connecting batteries up
Thanks John, this inverter is (or at least supposed to be) 5k continous 10K peak. Now I will be looking at the details very soon, after completing this message.

there are 2 red and 2 black connections on the back for wiring into 2 x 12 volt banks of batteries. still only running at 12 Volts though I fear?

The more I think about it the more I think this inverter is not what it professes to be! more on this later...

Back soon with more details.

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 6, 2008 04:19 am

#18 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Connecting batteries up
Thanks guys, sounds like I need to do a major rethink!

I think I'm going to create a challenge for you lot! lol

To help me resolve these issues, I think, will be quite a challenge...

Here's a taster! I live in the UK so the sums about 110v are not relevant, while I understand what was implied. Our mains electricity is 230v @ 50 Hz (usa = 60hz, I beleive).

I'll start a new thread with more details to get you all thinking!

Many thanks for your advice...

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 5, 2008 02:57 pm

#19 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > What size battery bank for large Inverter?
I have a 550Ah battery bank with a 5-10K watt inverter, is the battery bank big enough to power the inverter?

I'm aware of the sums with load/time etc...

A better question is, 'is there enough power to run this inverter?'

This setup will not boil a kettle!

The inverter is 12V/230V, new. The battery bank is made up of 5 x 110 Ah lisure battries (connected plus to plus & neg to neg) also new and fully charged.

Comments/suggestions please

Thanks
Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 5, 2008 01:39 pm

#20 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Connecting batteries up
Brilliant John many thanks...

Would a 550 Ah battery bank power a 5000 Watt interter?

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 5, 2008 11:04 am

#21 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Connecting batteries up
Here's what I have,

5 x 110Ah batteries connected plus to plus and minus to minus - keeping the bank at 12V.

My question - Where do I connect the Inverter and charge controller?

Is it plus on battery 1 and minus on battery 5 or something else entirely?HuhHuh

Thanks in advance

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Apr 3, 2008 03:19 am

#22 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Wire for connecting panels to controller
Quick question, what is the best type of wire to use to connect panels to the charge controller?

Solid wire or multi-strand?

Also is there any effect if there is a long run of wire between the panel and controller

Many thanks

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Mar 10, 2008 03:41 pm

#23 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 24 volt panels to charge 12 volt battries
Thanks Chris, just the explaination I needed. I'll have some more questions soon

Thanks again

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Mar 10, 2008 12:22 pm

#24 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 24 volt panels to charge 12 volt battries
No problem, thanks again.

James can you explain:

Rated power
 Pr  SW165

Peak power
 Pmpp
 165W

Peak power voltage
 Vmpp
 35.3V

Peak power current
 Impp
 4.68A

0pen circuit voltage
 Voc
 44V

Short circuit current
 Isc
 5.10A

Fuse Rating  Ifuse  15A
 And how that equates to the rated wattage

Thanks

Posted by Steve M on Mar 10, 2008 12:01 pm

#25 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 24 volt panels to charge 12 volt battries
Thanks James, Very usefull...

I'll have to rethink...

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Mar 9, 2008 06:45 pm

#26 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 24 volt panels to charge 12 volt battries
Thanks Jonathan, I thought it would be the case...

Just have get answers for the rest of the questions...

Steve

Posted by Steve M on Mar 9, 2008 08:43 am

#27 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > 24 volt panels to charge 12 volt battries
Hi All
I have some 24 volt panels that put out almost 26 volts. My first question is would this be to high to charge a 12 volt battery bank?

Or would I be better off moving to a 24 volt battery bank?

If I move to a 24v battery bank would it be detrimental on the batteries to run a large 12 volt load from them?

Many thanks for the replies and advice...

Steve

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!