Stephen Hagerman's posts

Posted by Stephen Hagerman on Mar 15, 2009 12:24 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Combining Sharp 224w panels
Hello;

I have 2 Sharp 224w panels that I want to combine voltage on.  Can someone advise me on what I can use for a combiner box. 

Thanks,
Steve H.

Posted by Stephen Hagerman on Jan 2, 2009 10:32 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Adding wind power to a solar system
Thanks James;
I'm thinking about the SouthWest air x.  It looks to be self regulating.  I'm wondering if it will shut off when it sees a solar input at the batteries.

Steve

Posted by Stephen Hagerman on Jan 2, 2009 09:37 am

#3 -  AltE > Discussion > Re: Wind and Solar Hybrid off grid system
Thanks for your reply Jim;
This sounds like a good solution!  I'm curious if the wind turbine shuts down and stops producing when the solar panels are producing.  My guess is that the turbines circuitry would see the voltage and current at the battery and think it was charged.

Thanks, Steve

Posted by Stephen Hagerman on Jan 1, 2009 05:43 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Adding wind power to a solar system
Hello,

I'm thinking of adding a small wind turbine to an existing solar system (off grid with a battery bank).  Can I add an additional charge controller designed for wind power and tie it directly to the battery bank?

Thanks, Steve

Posted by Stephen Hagerman on Jan 1, 2009 12:08 pm

#5 -  AltE > Discussion > Wind and Solar Hybrid off grid system
Hello,
I'm interested in in finding out how to add a small wind turbine to a solar powered off grid battery powered system.  Can you simply add a second charge controller designed for wind power and connect to the batteries with a solar charge controller connected?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks, Steve

Posted by Stephen Hagerman on Jun 21, 2008 09:58 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > DC-GFP Installation
I'm finally wiring up my breaker box and have a question regarding the GFP.  One end of the .5A breaker goes to ground bus - does the other go directly to the negative battery terminal?

Thanks for the help;
Steve

Posted by Stephen Hagerman on Jun 15, 2008 09:44 am

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > PV panel combiner boxes
I have a question regarding the practice of daisy chaining PV panels together. 

I recently read an article online indicating that doing so may quickly exceed the rating of the terminal strip inside the junction box of the PV panel.  The article stated that the terminal strips inside the junction boxes of most panels are rated at 15Amps.

For example...  if you had 4 panels daisy chained together, each producing 7Amps, you would end up with a total of 28Amps at the terminal strip in the last panel exceeding the rating of 15Amps.  Does this sound correct? 

Both the schematics that came with the solar module and my charge controller show panels daisy chained together. 

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!
Steve

Posted by Stephen Hagerman on Jun 15, 2008 09:27 am

#8 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Wiring a Breaker Box
Thank you for you advice John.  I bought a Midnite Solar combiner box and hope to start wiring it up next weekend. 

I do plan on installing a Trimetric and now understand the purpose of the shunt.

Posted by Stephen Hagerman on Jun 7, 2008 03:24 pm

#9 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Wiring a Breaker Box
I'm setting up a small system and have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me out with.  I'll be setting up 2 Sharp 80W panels to start with an outback MX60 charge controller, an MK105Ah battery, and a Midnite MNPV3 breaker box.  I'm looking at the schematic from the Outback MX60 and am confused as it is showing a shunt between the negative of the battery bank and the negative terminal of the inverter.  In the schematic, the shut appears to be tied to the terminal bus bar, but it is not clear how.  The ground bus bar also appears to be tied to the DC negative bus bar.  Does this make sense?  I'm new to solar, so thank you to anyone that can help.

Steve

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!