Samuel Hay's posts

Posted by Samuel Hay on Sep 29, 2007 09:02 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Off grid or on grid
I have just joined the group and havent yet read all the posts.
My advice is to build the right house.
Then it really doesnt make much difference how you power up.
Like my Scot ancestors always told me when I was growing up, "If you dont spend it you dont have to earn it!"
Same with energy as money.
My house is concrete block, filled with sand, 10 foot wall height. Outside that is foam core insulation with the shiny side out because I do more cooling than heat.  If its the other way around, turn the foil inside.
Then southern yellow pine strips, vertically. Then expanded stucco lath. Then three coats of white portland stucco.
I have NO heat gain from the walls.
I have virtually no heat loss either and such a flywheel effect from the mass the temps dont swing rapidly.
Windows are placed so no lighting is needed in the daytime.
The roof is rafters with sheathing with tarpaper. Then the same foam with shiny side out. Then an airspace created by southern yellow pine with a tin roof.  No heat gain from the roof either....the heat creates such a breeze it takes all the heat away.
Only reason I need any insulation inside at all is for the heating mode.
Heating is by a conservatory, connected to the house. Transom window at the top and two operating side windows which ar raised 2" in winter when the transom is open. It heats the house and grows citrus all year round.  Bannanas, kiwi, oranges, grapefruit, date palm, avacodos, limes, etc.
You wont use much power...mine is about $600. for a year.
Use a d/c pump with a built in pressure switch for your washing machine if you have a well.  Battery is always being trickle charged, runs the pump which fills the washer with well water from a 250 gallon fiberglass storage tank. Anytime the power/water goes off from the well, switch a three way valve and the water goes to every fixture including the water heater.
Use a pv powered pump on your solar water heater. That way you dont require any power for heating your water.
This all makes life so simple.
I would have 1/2 the bill I have now except for pumping in summer for my organic garden outside.
Any questions, let me know.
Sam

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!