Romeo Archie's posts

Posted by Romeo Archie on Oct 20, 2010 08:35 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Xantrex Bts-15 Temp Sen-Dr/Ux/C Sensor
I would like to extend the cable length on this sensor. My question is what type of wiring is needed to do this? I would like to go 130 feet away from the battery location.
Thanks for any info.

Posted by Romeo Archie on Sep 8, 2008 11:12 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Small Solar System
Hello Patrick, you need to install your equipment according to code rules. This would provide the safety necessary for your installation. Your concern about the high current drawn on the batteries is valid. You have to do a little math in balancing your system so it works propperly.

Where will the system be installed? Fixed residential? Portable remote locations?

Does your inverter have a floating NEUTRAL? 

Your inverter (3000 watts) cannot be loaded to its maximum rating for a prolong time. I would suggest you limit your maximum load to 80 percent capacity (2400 watts).

Your calculation regarding currend drawn is correct and is not a problem once you install the devices in the propper enclosure and use the propper size of conductors required to handle the amperage drawn. Visit your local electrical supply store for the propper equipment required. Correct fuse sizes for circuit protection is required. Locate the inverter as close as possible to the battery bank. Extreme care should be exercised in connecting batteries to the inverter. A shorted battery can deliver very high currents (1000 amps).

The 24.4 volts DC you measured is the open circuit voltage of the panel (no load connected)check panel specifications.

I realize you are embarking on a project with limited knowledge. I would suggest you do some reading on the subject to expand your knowledge base. Take your time and do it right. Be cautious in your approach, electricity KILLS! Install acccording to electrical code rules.

Regards, Romeo

Posted by Romeo Archie on Sep 7, 2008 12:18 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Small Solar System
Hello Patrick, I am located in Mississauga Ontario, so I  follow the CSA code. I have posted information as such in the members gallery area. Check it out and see if the information is usefull to you. It is not much different to the US NEC.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!