Rebecca Mason's posts

Posted by Rebecca Mason on Jan 3, 2009 11:51 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Newbie: how to wire panel to battery to appliance, litterally
This is awesome!  I'll be posting pics once my project is done.  Thanks!

Posted by Rebecca Mason on Jan 1, 2009 08:48 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Newbie: how to wire panel to battery to appliance, litterally
Thanks, John.  This is very helpful.  Is there any way around actually splitting the wire and wiring it directly to the terminal, as in ready-made connectors that I can simply slip onto the terminals?  I see all sorts of connectors on the Internet, but none seem to work with my lead acid battery terminals.  Thanks again,

Becky

Posted by Rebecca Mason on Dec 30, 2008 10:02 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Newbie: how to wire panel to battery to appliance, litterally
Hi,

I'm building a micro system to wire a chicken coop for lighting, using a 3watt 12V DC LED light and SLA battery (12V 5 amp hours).  Your excellent staff gave me a quote on a Unisolar 11 watt thin film panel and SunGuard 4.5 amp controller.  My problem is that once I have the pieces, I still need to connect it all together with the wire.  In fact, I even need to know which wire to buy.  All that I have so far is that the light comes with its own wire (its a light/fixture combined) with female cigarette lighter adapter.  I'm at a total loss at this point.  I know that it can't be too difficult, but I have never wired a battery before.  I have taken out a number of books on electricity and electronics, and they get me as far as the plusses and minuses without actually explaining the how of actually attaching the wires to the terminals.  I'm willing to do webinars, buy books, etc., but I sometimes also get the feeling that I'm learning the inside of the engine when I just need to drive the car.  Any thoughts for resources?

Many thanks,
Becky

Posted by Rebecca Mason on Dec 30, 2008 09:18 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: newbie, example first system review
Hi Brian,

It's great to hear that you are doing this.  I am working on an identical project for a small chicken coop.  I only need a few hours of artificial light a day for half the year.  My budget is a lot smaller than yours--if I pay too much my chicks will be laying golden eggs, so to speak.  Two suggestions that I have: first is to use LED lighting.  It is far more energy efficient than CFL's even, and they come in DC models as well as AC, so you can eliminate the inverter.  I found one at a local camping store with fairly good light output at 12V 250 mAmp, and it came with a DC adapter.  Second is to check out RV lighting systems.  They can still be fairly pricey, but cheeper than your plan. I'm ready to buy my hardware, but am hung up on how to wire it altogether.  Good luck with your project!

Becky

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!