Ken Porter's posts

Posted by Ken Porter on Aug 20, 2013 09:57 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: How much is too much?
Thanks for the tip. I have tried the wind turbine route, and it was not particularly successful as we are quite sheltered with trees and bush. We would have to install a fairly high tower to get above the tree line, and we are in an area that typically does not get the winds needed to sustain any appreciable amount of generated power. We have a backup generator that we used last winter, which cost us a fortune to run, so we were hoping that adding either more panels or more batteries would be a solution. If we add the panels, would the amperage be too high for the charge controller to handle? If we add batteries, would not the small amount of charge we get during the few hours in winter be spread proportionately among the cells, and therefore not fully charge the system?

Posted by Ken Porter on Aug 18, 2013 07:43 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > How much is too much?
I currently have 8 - 200 watt 24V Sharp panels wired in parallel /series with them being in pairs, giving me 48V going into an Outback 60 charge controller. During the summer months their is no problem meeting my energy requirements in a 1000 sq. ft structure, including a full blown woodworking shop. However December and January up here in Canada is cold and we only get 4-5 hours of sunlight, and it was tough to keep the battery bank charged to more than 65%. I would like to add more panels to my system, but how many is too much, considering what the Outback 60 can handle, and my Xantrex SW4808 inverter?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!