Karen E's posts

Posted by Karen E on Aug 5, 2008 04:33 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > altE -- Thanks!
"Most people are like the fallen leaf that drifts and turns in the air, flutter and falls to the ground

But few others are like stars which travel, one defined path: no wind reaches them, they have within themselves their guide and path." 
                     Herman Hesse

Thanks for all your help, especially James.  The SEI design manual is invaluable.  I just ordered a Midnight combiner box.  All other securities in good time.  Lastly, your assistance with David's gift of the Mitsubishi 110 was very sincerely appreciated.  Many peaceful thanks and blessings, Karen

Posted by Karen E on Jul 27, 2008 10:03 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Re: 3 years off grid! female designed & constucted homestead seeks 80 watt panel(s)
Nick,

I'd be more than happy to communicate with you but am not a phone talker.... you may reach me by email rearth2 @ peoplepc.com.  I look forward to hearing from you.  Karen

Posted by Karen E on Jul 27, 2008 09:55 am

#3 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: 3 years ==Thank you David, John and Thomas!
David, John and Thomas!

To each of you I want to extend my thanks for your interest and willingness to take a moment and share you wisdom and encouragement.  I often feel like 'freak of the week' as others seldom understand 'why' I have committed myself to take such a seldom trodden route.

Keeping the faith, if you will, has been the most difficult challenge to the project.  David, your kind words and gift have made such a significant difference, allowing my re-affirmation.  Society pays lip service to valuing green living... but the reality is that on the daily, society also communicates that those who don't participate in the current value system simply... must be lesser beings.

Thomas, your comments regarding our recent transition to energy dependence are thoughtful and informative.  Might I add to your commentary?

There are several cultural components now missing that, in my mind, causes a distinct difference in comparing the off grid life of the American Pioneer to that of today's off gridders.

Primarily, in the past, a community had folks which were regarded as 'experts' in their field.  Expertise was shared, barn raising, crop harvesting, well digging, etc. 
My experience, although I am very big on barter, has been that in all but a few communities, we have become far too individualistic, desiring payment at time services are rendered.  This diverges greatly from a community perspective in which we might for example, help farmer Joe with his wheat crop now because in the fall Joe helps us with our fire wood.  Even if the desire to 'help out' is present, most people wouldn't take two weeks off from their day job to help a neighbor with a project... they can't afford to.  Hence, we have seen a demise in the ability of small communities to share expertise and shed dependence on the current societal constaints. 

Another societal difference is acceptance.  Although I would be considered, 'well educated' by today's standards, let me go to the local hardware store to get parts without the car clean, fingernails well manicured or with a well loved pair of work jeans on.... and....  the clerk earning minimum wage will certainly look  down their nose at me, consistently.  This is in sharp contrast to our pioneer history.  Wait a minute... in the movies the cowboys were clean....

There is a good deal of social ostracizing that occurs... even by those who pay lip service to similar lifestyle values.

No negativity here, just a pragmatic observation.  I'm solid with my choices.... and I look forward to fulfilling my basic Maslowian needs.  But the romantic ideal of the Laura Ingles picture is surreal, always was.  Bathing on Sundays was/is a sure way not to travel alone (i.e. mites, and lice).  IcK! Now add pettie coats...

Times... they are a' changin' 

With a bit of ABS glue still under my nails I wish all who read this peaceful blessings and big smiles, Karen 

Posted by Karen E on Jul 25, 2008 08:07 am

#4 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: 3 years off grid! And............
Oops... I posted it under my profile... Many peace wishes.. Karen

Posted by Karen E on Jul 25, 2008 08:05 am

#5 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > 3 years off grid! And............
Thank you very much to everyone who has shown interest in my project.  I tried to give a quick synopsis late last night with a few pictures.  Hope this answers a few of your questions.  Sorry for the poor photos...

Posted by Karen E on Jul 20, 2008 04:35 am

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Re: 3 years off grid! female designed & constucted homestead seeks 80 watt panel(s)
Dave,

I am stunned... Thank you very much!  Wow... 
Your generosity is greatly apprecieted and your kindness will make my home a little happier.  I hope you smile often. 

Your project is very impressive, was your background in electronics?  Theres sooooooooooooooooo much I don't know.
=) but I have enjoyed my learning curve.

I would be more than happy to post some pics... I'll try to get them up this week.  Many thanks, big smiles and peaceful wishes,  Karen

Posted by Karen E on Jul 19, 2008 02:17 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > 3 years off grid! female designed & constucted homestead seeks 80 watt panel(s)
My 5 acre homestead is completely off grid in the mojave desert.  With no prior training or knowledge, I sought to build a homestead in the same manner as my grandfathers, without loans, construction assistance or specialized tools.  That was 3 years ago.

Although not participating in the credit game has proven difficult, my land and home stand with each nail and screw placed by my own hands testifying to my intense personal desire to be live the American homestead dream.

My pv system has room for expansion, which would allow me a swamp cooler and continuous use of refrigeration. 

I am hoping that someone has 80 watt (or?) panels that they no longer want... or want very little for. 

I do work full time... but wages are depressed as my county is very impoverished...

I have pulled county permits and passed all inspections.  My hope is to provide a financially sound model for all those who truly desire off grid lifestyle. 

Many peaceful wishes, Karen

Posted by Karen E on Jul 31, 2006 09:51 am

#8 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Re: BP125u panels for sale
Andy,

Are your panels still for sale?  Have you considered lowering the price?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!