John Tyson's posts

Posted by John Tyson on Jan 1, 2008 03:20 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: CFL bulbs - 12V AC vs. 12V DC
Gosh, if you have 12 Vdc why not try those 12 Vdc LED bulbs.  I have some here I am experimenting with and they use lots less power than compact florescent units.  Mine have 32 or 36 LEDs in each screw in bulb unit. If you want to run them from ac then ac LED units are available too.

Posted by John Tyson on Jan 1, 2008 03:14 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Get Off the Grid with Wind Power
I agree.  Wind is the best if you live in a high wind area. Here in north central Kansas the wind can provide most if not all of your electrical needs.  I have two, one kw units up and when working properly they keep my one thousand amp hour battery bank (48V) setting at 52V.  I am off grid so that runs all the electronics, water pumps for four zone floor heat, lights and other equipment. 

I am not too frugal with my electricity being a amateur radio operator and enjoying running large vintage (tube type) transmitters and receivers along with my modern high power amplifiers.  I talk with hams all over the world and enjoy the fact that I am totally electric independent. 

If you have 20 to 25 mph winds in your area definitely look into wind possibilities. (The north west wind here today is gusting 35.)

Posted by John Tyson on Jan 1, 2008 03:02 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Whisper H200 Wind generator
Hi. I live in a high wind area of north central Kansas.  I have had two of the units up for four years or so.  Both have had to be returned to the factory for service and balancing.  One destructed itself when one of the blades separated.   I took the other to a local machine shop to have the yaw bearing rebuilt and strengthened as the outfit stays in a folded back position most of the spring and summer months which eggs out the bearing hole.  If you are lucky enough to get a perfectly balanced unit it will last three to four times longer than one with vibration.  I provide all my own power here and I can't afford to play around with poorly engineered units.  I just need them to work.  These have been down more than they have been up.  I will not buy another Southwest Windpower product.  Bergey is your best bet.

Just my two cents worth.  Add it to your research then make the best decision possible for your situation.  Good luck.

Posted by John Tyson on Dec 9, 2006 01:35 am

#4 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Southwest Windpower H80 and 200 wind turbine warning.
Sorry everyone, that should have been TURBINE.

Posted by John Tyson on Dec 8, 2006 06:13 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Southwest Windpower H80 Parts Wanted.
I am trying to keep my H80 running for a few more months.  I desperately need a top casting.  If anyone has parts for this unit please let me know. At the rate of self destruction of these units, there has to be junkers available.

Posted by John Tyson on Dec 8, 2006 06:09 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Southwest Windpower H80 and 200 wind turbin warning.
I have two H80 turbins and both have had extensive repairs within the first two years of service.  I have went through four sets of blades, four sets of bearings and bearing upgrades, and several furling bearings.  These units are not designed very robstly and will only last for months not years under windy conditions.  Southwest Windpower refurbished both units this last time at around $800 and one lasted two days! The other is still up but who knows for how long.  The 200 series use the same parts with a user adjustable voltage setting.  The company is always willing to sell me complete assemblies but no individual parts.  The warning is; if your winds are not over 20 mph then put one up but anything over that is pure wasted time and wasted countless hours erecting and taking down/repairing these things, not to mention numerous insults from the engineering staff at Southwest Windpower.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!