John Laughlin's posts

Posted by John Laughlin on Mar 7, 2010 04:40 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > what's my mistake?
I built a bundled firewood vending machine. I am trying to convert to solar. The machine runs off 110 volt A/C. Here's the set up. Kyocera KC130TM 130 watt solar panel set to factory recommended angle according to latitude, Go Power GP-PWM-25 solar regulator(25 amp),Go Power GP-2500 GP inverter, battery bank totaling 600 ah(1 new 80 ah,1 new 130 ah, 2 used 190 ah approx 1 year old, all deep cycle wet cell).Site location faces south and is wide open. All wire gauges as per factory recommended

The following is power needs for 24 hrs

Bundles 24 – 10 sec’s @ 770 watts(7 amps) 4 mins
Lights 3 – 13 watt  39 watts (.35 amps) 12 hrs 720 mins Bill validator 1 amp (110 watts)1 mins
Inverter 1 amp (110 watts ) 24 hrs 1440 mins
Machine runs for approx 10 secs to push bundle out when dollar bill is inserted into bill validator

Total amps  9.35
Total watts 1030

Machine is located in Connecticut.The set up does work as long as every day is sunny. If there is 2 or more days of over cast the batteries run low. Meter indicates approx 22 volts from panel direct sun light and approx 17 volts on over cast days. I thought 600 ah of battery bank would be more than sufficient. Any thoughts???

Thanks

John 

Posted by John Laughlin on Sep 23, 2009 01:52 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Firewood vending- convert to solar
The machine vends prebundled firewood.Plugs into 110v outlet. It uses an electric motor (6.7 amps) that turns a screw drive to push the bundle out into a catch bin. The motor runs approx 15 sec's when activated by the bill validator.The bill validator draws very little and runs all the time.3 exterior 13 watt lights dusk to dawn.  I was hoping to use a 2500 or 3000 watt power inverter with a deep cycle battery and a solar battery charger for now.Or could I connect the power inverter with multiple outlets to a deep cycle battery and plug a battery charger into the inverter then connect the charger to the battery so the battery feeds the inverter, the inverter feeds the battery charger as well as the machine and the charger keeps the battery charged. There is a 10 amp fuse at the electrical panel. Also pure or modified sine. I am not sure how sensitive the bill validator, limit switches or relays are Please advise  Thanks  John     

Posted by John Laughlin on Sep 21, 2009 05:33 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: System requirements
Sorry for the delayed response

The machine vends prebundled firewood. It uses an electric motor (6.7 amps) that turns a screw drive to push the bundle out into a catch bin. The motor runs approx 15 sec's when activated by the bill validator.The bill validator draws very little and runs all the time.3 exterior low watt lights dusk to dawn. I was hoping to use a 2500 or 3000 watt power inverter with a deep cycle battery and a solar battery charger for now.Please advise  Thanks  John     

Posted by John Laughlin on Apr 22, 2009 08:53 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > System requirements
I have an outdoor large item vending machine on it's
 own trailer. It uses 110v ac,20 amp.I would like to convert to solar. Could I use a inverter, deep cycle 12 vdc battery or batteries and a roof mount panel to charge the battery? Also a friend mentioned there may be the need to connect to an 8' grounding rod reason being if someone was standing on wet ground or in a puddle while using the machine

Posted by John Laughlin on Nov 19, 2008 09:18 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: wood drying shed
Thanks Andy

looks simple and effective

John

Posted by John Laughlin on Nov 19, 2008 07:13 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: wood drying shed
Thank you James  this is the guidance I need. I will follow up on your advise.

Posted by John Laughlin on Nov 19, 2008 06:23 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > wood drying shed
I would like to build a solar powered wood drying shed approx 1400 sq ft. 12' x 20' x 7' high. Something similar to a greenhouse, I thought I could use solar powered attic vents on the gable ends, cover the frame with good plastic sheathing and add an electric heater using a solar panel, battery and inverter. Maybe a wind/solar combination. Site has great southern exposure on a 140 acre farm. The frame I can build. The plastic sheathing I can install, not sure what the best product would be. The vent fans I can install. I can install solar panel,battrey and inverter not sure exactly what I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!