John Hassell's posts

Posted by John Hassell on Jun 26, 2013 09:34 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Magnum MagnaSine ME2012AE Inverter
Magnum MS2012 Inverter for sale. Operates from 12 VDC. Output power is 2,000 Watts, 120VAC, 60Hz. Output waveform is pure sine wave. Fully reconditioned by Magnum Authorized Service Center. Seller will offer 1-year parts-only warranty. Price: $950 plus shipping. Unit will ship from New Hampshire. Call 603.787.2317 for more information.

Posted by John Hassell on Mar 9, 2011 04:13 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Xantrex T240 Transformer for sale
Trace T240 Step-up Transformer
T240 transformer for sale. Removed from service, fully bench tested and serviceable. Call 603-787-2317 or email johnwhass @ aol.com.

Posted by John Hassell on Nov 15, 2010 06:27 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Re: Need CC-20 Charge Controller by Heliotrope wiring diagram
Steve,

I may have a manual for this controller. Send an email to: info @ begreensolar.com.

John

Posted by John Hassell on Oct 6, 2010 01:10 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Zephyr Ventilation Fan
Ventilation fan for sale. 48-volt model. Brand new, never used. Price: $50.00. Call 603-787-2317 or email johnwhass @ aol.com.

Posted by John Hassell on Oct 6, 2010 01:04 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Outback FlexNet DC
FlexNet DC for sale. Used as battery monitor with MATE and/or as auxiliary relay control. Removed from service. Fully tested and serviceable. Price: $250.00. Call 603-787-2317 or email johnwhass @ aol.com.

Posted by John Hassell on Oct 6, 2010 01:02 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Outback Hub 4
Outback Hub 4, 4-port router/interface for sale. Removed from service. Fully tested and serviceable. Price: $100.00. Call 603-787-2317 or email johnwhass @ aol.com.

Posted by John Hassell on Oct 6, 2010 01:00 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Trace C40 Charge Controller
C40 charge controller for sale. Removed from service. Fully bench tested and serviceable. Price: $80.00. Call 603-787-2317 or email johnwhass @ aol.com.

Posted by John Hassell on Oct 6, 2010 12:58 pm

#8 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Trace T240 Step-up Transformer
T240 transformer for sale. Removed from service, fully bench tested and serviceable. Call 603-787-2317 or email johnwhass @ aol.com.

Posted by John Hassell on Aug 12, 2010 01:40 pm

#9 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Trace C40 Controller
All,

I have a schematic for the C-Series charge controllers.  It's a hard copy, so I'll have to scan it so it can be emailed. You'll need a large format printer; at least 11 x 17. On letter size paper, it very hard to read.

I'm out of my lab until Monday.  If anyone wants one, respond on the forum or send an email to: info @ begreensolar.com. I can also offer a few troubleshooting tips. Be advised, however, that only those who have the skills and tools to work on PC boards should attempt repair.

John

Posted by John Hassell on Jul 16, 2010 11:14 am

#10 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Whisper 200 wind turbine FYI
Be vewy careful with Girl Scout cookies! I've just heard that the Thin Mints will be regulated by the FDA because they're addictive.

Posted by John Hassell on Oct 23, 2009 11:56 am

#11 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: XW Auto Generator Start and Centurion 8kw Generator
Hello everyone,

here are my two cents (or a bit more).

As mentioned, Generac will not honor warranties for their current product line for off-grid applications. They are supposed to be coming out with a line (6-7KW I believe) that will be warranted for off-grid. The products will be available in 1Q next year (I think).

If you are off-grid and have a generac generator and want to start and stop it from your inverter, you have a few options.

1) Remove the control assembly and modify it. This involves unsoldering or removing the leads from the AUTO-OFF-MANUAL switch and installing a modification. I can supply diagrams to do this, but it is a modification that will prohibit you from replacing the control card under warranty.

2) Use an external 240VAC, 60Hz source to "fool" the generator into thinking it is receiving utility power. To start the generator, you simply interrupt the "utility" voltage and the generator will start and run until the utility voltage returns.

You cannot use the 240 (0r 120) VAC output from the inverter to do this.  Consider, for a moment, the operational syntax of the inverter.  In the invert mode, the inverter produces 120 or 240 VAC to supply loads in the dwelling. When the inverter senses an external AC input (from a generator, for example) it switches from the invert mode to the charge mode. As soon as this switch is made, the inverter stops producing an AC output.

So, if you connect the inverter's AC output to lines N1 and N2 of the generator, the generator will see a utility voltage and remain dormant. If you interrupt line N1 or N2, the generator will start.  Now, at least, you've got the generator started and running and the batteries are charging.

OK, the batteries are now charged and the inverter signals the generator control to close the open line N1 or N2. The relay drops out but, there is no AC available from the inverter; it's still in charge mode. The generator is dumb; it simply keeps running because is detects no AC utility voltage on lines N1 and N2.

The only way to do this is to use a separate, self-contained source of 240VAC, 60 Hz. I have developed such a device and have it installed and operating in two off-grid applications.

Now, this ain't no sales pitch; I'm just trying to help. If anyone is interested in this gadget of mine, send an email to johnwhass @ aol.com and I can send you some info. If you're a good electronic technician, you can probably build it yourself.

I also have wiring diagrams for most generac products.

If you want to use a different generator, I suggest you visit the web site of US Carbueration. They take standard Yamaha generators (up to 6600 Watts, I believe) and modify them to use propane, natural gas or gasoline. The generators can be started remotely. For propane use, they can be ordered with an automatic primer which ensures reliable starts, even in winter . I'm in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and they work well here.

I've put a lot of effort getting various types of generators to work with various off-grid systems. Drop me an email if you need help.

Good Luck!

John

Posted by John Hassell on Jun 26, 2009 09:57 am

#12 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Help with Electrical component of turbine
Renaldo,

please contact me at johnwhass @ aol.com; I may be able to help you with your project.

Posted by John Hassell on Jun 26, 2009 08:17 am

#13 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Battery bank weak after adding water to batteries
I would ask two questions. 1) what is the temperature of the batteries; the area where they're located and 2) what is the specific gravity of the cells?  Do you have a hydrometer and have you measured the specific gravity?  If so, what were the readings?

Specific gravity tells you much more than voltage or charge rates.

Posted by John Hassell on Jun 25, 2009 03:40 pm

#14 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > 12VDC Water Pump SHURflo Model 2088-422-444
The pump is new and has never been used.  Reason for selling: Customer bought 12V pump for 24V system. Specs are: 12VDC, 7 Amps, 45psi maximum (3.1 Bar) auto shut-off switch, 3.5 gph.  Good for remote locations. Small 12V battery and solar panel charger is all you need. Retails for about $120.00, wholesale about $93.00. Sell price: $85.00. Email johnwhass @ aol.com or call 603-787-2317 (New Hampshire)

Posted by John Hassell on Jun 25, 2009 03:34 pm

#15 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Vanner 24V-12V Battery Equalizer
This device is used to operate 12V devices from a 24V system. If the 24V system is two 12V batteries in series, it "balances" or equalizes the load on each of the 12V batteries, when using a 12V appliance. Fully reconditioned and tested.  Suplied with manual and installation instructions. Currently retails for $445. Sell price: $200.00. Email johnwhass @ aol.com or call 603-787-2317.

Posted by John Hassell on Jun 25, 2009 03:30 pm

#16 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Comptus (Natural Power Inc) DC Watt-Hour Meter
This unit was manufactured in 1987 and uses a mechanical, resettable counter.  I have just reconditioned it. It measures DC current (not AC) with a maximum load of 20 Amps.  It will work on virtually any DC system from 12 to 40 Volts.  Supplied with instruction manual and connection information.  Price: $50.00.  Email johnwhass @ aol.com or call 603-787-2317 (New Hampshire).

Posted by John Hassell on Jun 25, 2009 03:23 pm

#17 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Todd PC75, 12-15VDC, 75-Amp Power Supply/Charger
I have two Todd PC 75 power supplies for sale. I have fully reconditioned these units. They can supply 12 - 15 VDC (adjustable) at up to 75 Amps (900 Watts).  Each is supplied with a test data sheet, schematic and wiring diagrams and a brief system description.  Price $125.00 each. Email: johnwhass @ aol.com or call 603-787-2317 (New Hampshire).

Posted by John Hassell on Mar 2, 2009 11:13 am

#18 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: What is energy?
OOPS! Made a mistake.

After over 45 years in science and engineering, I'm used to seeing the speed of light in meters per second or, occasionally, miles per second, but never miles per hour.

Thus, I thought Mr. Schmidt's number was wrong.  My mistake. His calculation for miles per hour is correct, plus or minus a few thousand miles per hour.

Posted by John Hassell on Mar 2, 2009 12:00 am

#19 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: What is energy?
Not to get picky, but...

the speed of light is 186,451 miles per second, or - in science - 300,000,000 meters per second.

John

Posted by John Hassell on Feb 9, 2009 04:55 pm

#20 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Evergreen Solar Panel for sale
For sale: Evergreen ES-190-SL solar panel. 190 Watt. Size: 62" x 37-1/2" x 1-5/8". Weight 40 lbs. Can be shipped via FedEx or UPS ground. Shipping weight approximately 46 lbs. Unit is brand new and has never been installed or outdoors. Ordered for a customer who later decided not to do solar. Price: $700.00. If interested, send email to: johnwhass @ aol.com. Enter ES-190 in the subject line.

Posted by John Hassell on Jan 29, 2009 01:48 pm

#21 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Permanent Magnet DC Motor wiring question
Mark,

email to: johnwhass @ aol.com. A jpg or pdf is OK.

John

Posted by John Hassell on Jan 28, 2009 05:46 pm

#22 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Trace 3624 will not wake up
Donald,

it's probably not the relay.  If it doesn't wake up when a load is applied or when the search mode is defeated, yhr problem could be on the control board or the triac board.

Send an email to johnwhass @ aol.com. Maybe I can talk you through the troubleshooting procedure.

John

Posted by John Hassell on Jan 28, 2009 05:41 pm

#23 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: battery equalization
Ron,

welcome to the world of the MATE. The good news is that the MATE can do most anything. The bad news is that the MATE can do most anything!

I have written a separate document that takes all of the equalization procedures from the MATE manual and places them in chronological order.

Since you have two battery banks, I would recommend that you equalize them separately, simply because the charge output of the FX2024 is a bit low to equalize a battery bank of close to 950AH.

Send an email to johnwhass @ aol.com and I'll send you the document.  It's a freebie!

John

Posted by John Hassell on Jan 28, 2009 05:30 pm

#24 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Generator Start Module wiring
David,

I assume that your inverter is a Xantrex XW series, correct? The GSM can be configured to interface with most commercial generators, but (and this is a big "but"), the generator must be capable of being started remotely. That is to say, started by a switch or remote device located away from the generator itself.

Most Generac generators of the 10-16kW variety do not have this capability.  I can show you how to connect the generator to the GSM, but it will require a modification to the generator that would probably void the warranty. In addition, you need to have some technical skills to deal with the circuit assembly and changes to the AUTO-OFF-MANUAL switch.

Let me know if you would like to modify the generator. Also, call Xantrex tech support; they may have some ideas as well.

You can contact me directly at johnwhass @ aol.com.

John

Posted by John Hassell on Jan 28, 2009 05:05 pm

#25 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Re: Any Xantrex DR Series US Inverters, C35/C40/C60 Charge Controllers
Anthony,

I have a DR3624 that I just refurbished as well as a DC250 DC Disconnect box and some other associated items. Send an email to johnwhass @ aol.com and I'll send you the list and the asking prices.

John

Posted by John Hassell on Jan 28, 2009 05:00 pm

#26 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Re: 3624 parts needee
Don,

what parts do you need?  I can repair these boards for you if you wish.  Please tell me the symptoms of the problem(s) and I may be able to offer some advice.

John

Posted by John Hassell on Jan 28, 2009 02:23 pm

#27 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Permanent Magnet DC Motor wiring question
Mark,

send me a drawing of how you have everything connected (wiring diagram). Maybe I can answer your question.

John

Posted by John Hassell on Jan 27, 2009 07:41 pm

#28 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Xantrex/Trace Items for Sale
I have the following items for sale.

DR3624 Inverter, 3,600-Watt, 24 V, 1 each
   DC250 DC Disconnect Box with breaker and ground block
   Conduit Adapter
   RC8 Remote Control with 50-ft. cable
   BTS-25 Battery Temperature Sensor with 25-ft. cable
   13 assorted 2/0 and 4/0 battery cables
   Hard copy and CD-ROM manuals for DC250 and inverter

Send email to: johnwhass @ aol.com for a complete list, photos of the products and prices, or  call 603-787-2317.

John Hassell

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!