John Anderson's posts

Posted by John Anderson on May 22, 2012 12:05 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Mixing panels in series
I know that in a series circuit that the curent throught the circuit will always be the same through through all connected panels. What happens in the case of putting the following panels in series, what will the output current be?

Panel #1 100W
Vmp 35 v
Imp 3A

Panel #2 200W
Vmp 35v
Imp 6A

I know the output voltage would be 70 V. But what would the output current be?

How would a grid tied inverter handle determining the Max Power Point.

Thanks for your response

Posted by John Anderson on Oct 7, 2009 11:51 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Wanted: SMA Sunny Beam Data Monitor
I am looking for a Sunny Beam remote data monitor for use with an SMA 1800u Inverter.I currently have one but the USB port died and I cant log any data. If I can just get the main board that would also be fine.

Thanks/John

Posted by John Anderson on Aug 23, 2009 02:30 am

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Sunny Beam Installation CD
Hello folks.

I have one of the original SB1800U and Sunny Beam remote monitor combination. I'd like to get a copy of the software installation CD for my PC and had hoped someone has a copy they want to burn or sell a copy of. This is not the Bluetooth version. I know the drivers are on the Internet but I cant get the right combo of USB drivers and SDC software to work.This did work but my computer went south and I am trying to put it back together again.
I have tired SMA but figured I try here as well.
Thanks
/John

Posted by John Anderson on Apr 11, 2009 11:20 am

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Re: want to purchase used solar pathfinder
I am weighing that decision. I can rent the unit and purchase the pathfinder plotting software from realgoods at a cheaper rate.I will probably only use a couple of times. I'm just surprised that nobody has a unit they want to sell?I've been hunting for years.

Regards/John

Posted by John Anderson on Apr 10, 2009 07:50 am

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Re: want to purchase used solar pathfinder
Tim,

Any luck with finding a pathfinder? I did find out that realgoods rents the portable unit for $25/week. I personaly would prefer not have to lay out $300+ for something I might use a few times. Maybe I can buy 1 and resell it?

Regards/John

Posted by John Anderson on Apr 10, 2009 07:44 am

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: mixing solar panel voltages within a single solar array
Thanks all for your help here. I have obtained an additional 2 PW1000 panels and am now in compliance with the SMA suggestion of 6 modules per string. I just need to find a good location to mount these extra 2 panels and I am all set.

Best Regards/John

Posted by John Anderson on Mar 25, 2009 01:20 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: mixing solar panel voltages within a single solar array
I'm still hoping to get an additional 2 PW panels. Would PW165 panels at 24 volts be acceptable in the string, i Know higher current but same voltage? PW1000's panels are getting harder to find but I have seen PW165's.

Are strings considered to be in parallel? Could strings be run at different voltages, basic question but I dont know how this inverter is designed.

Anybody know where I could pick up some PW1000's. I've tried E-bay?

There has to be some distributor out there with a couple laying around:)

Thanks Again/John

Posted by John Anderson on Mar 23, 2009 11:04 pm

#8 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: mixing solar panel voltages within a single solar array(Wishful thinking)
Thanks for all the good feedback. The 190V startup voltage is out of a SMA brochure. I dont know if this is the VOC or Vmp. If its VOC than 5 panels per string would give me 43x5=215V, enough to start the inverter. If its Vmp than 34.6x5=152V is to low.

Inverter Operating voltage is dependent upon AC voltage. At 105vac than its min is 138Vdc, if its 120Vac than its 158Vdc. I am sitting right on the cusp, giving temperature derating than I will probably be offline more than online.

Now what if I put 9 panels in a single string. 43V x 9 = 387Vdc. Thats really high but in tolerance. 34.6 x 9 = 315Vdc thats within the Mpp range of 139-400Vdc. I really dont like the 400 volts DC. Seems awfully lethal to me.

I guess the proper thing is to get 2 more panels. Only problem is they are hard to find and no longer distributed in USA. What if I found 2 non photowatt panels with similiar characteristics? That way I could use 2 strings of 6 panels!

Any more ideas.

Thanks again for all your feedback
/John

Posted by John Anderson on Mar 22, 2009 10:48 pm

#9 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > mixing solar panel voltages within a single solar array
Are there any problem running different voltage panels as part of the same solar string.

I have a SB1800u and 10 PW1000 24V panels. The SB1800 documentation states a 192V startup voltage, does anyone know if this is VOC or VMP?.

Based upon my number of panels what is the best way to configure these panels. 6 of them are switchable between 12(17.3Vmp/24(34.4Vmp) VDC. The other 4 are strictly 24V(34.4Vmp).

I dont believe I have enough panels to support 2 arrays according to the array sizer at the SMA site. But with a single string mixing 12 and 24v panels I can create the 192V startup voltage without exceeding the inverters VOC limit of 400Vdc.

Any help appreciated
/John

Posted by John Anderson on Feb 6, 2009 12:37 am

#10 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Re: Any Xantrex DR Series US Inverters, C35/C40/C60 Charge Controllers
Not 100% sure but I have a Brand new Trace c35, and a C40 with digital display. I could give you the specifics if you are interested.

jkaftp @ comcast.net

Posted by John Anderson on Feb 3, 2009 09:53 pm

#11 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Solar Panel Cardboard Shipping Boxes needed
I have 4 Photowatt 105 watt panels (56" x 26" x 2") I want to ship from Texas to NJ via UPS. I dont have the original cardboard boxes and foam that they were shipped in and was looking for some suggestions or perhaps someone who has some boxes they would like to sell perhaps from a solar installation site?. There are boxes out there like from uline but you have to buy several $100 minimum order.

Any help greatly appreciated
john.k.anderson @ comcast.net

Posted by John Anderson on Jan 18, 2009 12:52 am

#12 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Looking for Photowatt PW1000 panels in NJ
Hello,
 I need 4 of these panels to complete my string. Must be 24V configurable, prefer the 105W variety. I'm located in NJ.

Regards/John

If you have any used panels drop me an e-mail john.k.anderson @ comcast.net

Posted by John Anderson on Jan 4, 2009 12:27 am

#13 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Enphase inverters?
When I saw these I thought my dream had come true. But after speaking with a tech rep and he explained that I would have to run a seperate 240 or 208 line into my home to use the things. I mean there must be quite a bit of a demand for something in the low end at this price , about $200 for this 200 watt inverter? If I recall I thought about actually using a variable step down xformer to match my 120v line voltage but since there were at least 2 phases I gave up.

BTW: Just a thought from an Old time ET. Would a variable step down xformer's(240 to 120) inductance cause an IV phase shift and confuse the inverters lock on the grids frequency. I could just see this thing constatntly going on and offline thinking the grid was out of sync.

Regards/John

Posted by John Anderson on Jan 3, 2009 10:08 pm

#14 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Wanted SunnyBoy SB700u in NJ
Does anybody have or know of a used SB700u 700 watt 120Vacinverter they want to sell. Please contact me at JKAsolar @ comcast.net.

Thank You

Posted by John Anderson on Jan 3, 2009 10:00 pm

#15 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Sorry my mistake
 Sorry

Posted by John Anderson on Apr 18, 2004 05:01 pm

#16 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > want to purchase used solar pathfinder
prefer unit with base and carrying case

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!