Jason Goatcher's posts

Posted by Jason Goatcher on Apr 17, 2008 08:41 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: I want to invest in renewable energy.
Has anyone ever considered investing in solar panels specifically for profit?  California is very sunny, and their electrical rates are insanely high if what I read online is true. (20-25 cents per kwh)

I'm thinking that a few of us could get together and find a company(if a company signs on, it's less likely we'll lose our shirts, in my opinion) that would like to save money and is willing to "baby-sit" the panels.  With the electrical rates in California, the break-even point might come as soon as 5 years or so down the road.

Edit: Victoria, your post  is about a month old.  If you're still interested, please post again. Smiley

Posted by Jason Goatcher on Oct 1, 2007 06:22 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Trying to find a car I read about, but I have a bad memory.
I haven't checked the links in the first reply, but I definitely intend to. Smiley

The second reply got it dead on.  The article claims that people who like this car are into European stuff, which I'm not so sure about.  The reason I like this car has nothing to do with nationality.

Adding hybrid engines to normal American cars is bogus, the manufacturers ought to be ashamed of themselves.  They need to work on cars that are smaller and lighter.  It's horrible that the one car I managed to find that fits my values is only made in Europe.

We need to invest in ways to make alternative energy, but in the meantime, becoming more efficient is incredibly important in the short term.

Posted by Jason Goatcher on Sep 30, 2007 10:59 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > I want to invest in renewable energy.
If you're interested in building a renewable energy source, but lack the funds, then post.  I'm looking for someone who is doing this for the planet, and is therefore willing to reinvest the savings that occur back into the renewable energy market, possibly in a way similar to what I'm attempting right now.

I am on a government check because of illness.  I also live with my parents because of the same illness.  I get a small paycheck from working at a fast food restaurant, but because of my low rent and my frugality, my net worth tends to slowly increase. 

The problem is that I've been told that if my bank account goes above $2000, or my net worth goes above $5,000, I'll lose my government check.  While, I'd love to be able to live independently from government handouts, my Medicaid will probably go away at the same time that my government check goes away.  I would then be in a situation where my net worth would plummet, and I'd be back down to nothing in six months to a year.

You see my dilemma.  If I buy stocks or bonds, the value is just moved around a bit, and if I choose to "waste" my money on expensive stuff, then I'd basically have to lie to the government(I'm a horrible liar) to keep my check.

The way I'm trying to do it here, I'm a little better off.  Of course, my dad will act like it's the most moronic thing in the world, he thinks I should invest it in his name and let him keep it for me, which I think is immoral, but hey everybody has an opinion.

Obviously, there's a lot of stuff I need to consider for this, but first I want to "gauge the temperature" of others.

So, what do you think?

Posted by Jason Goatcher on Sep 30, 2007 10:22 pm

#4 -  AltE > Discussion > Re: Does this site hate the Firefox browser?
That does make it a very odd error.  I had it happen in both Linux Firefox and Windows Firefox.

And now it's gone away.  Very, VERY odd.  I even made sure it had the Firefox icon in the corner, so it wasn't imitating  IE when I tried it.

No telling what was going on when I first tried to log on.

Posted by Jason Goatcher on Sep 30, 2007 10:17 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Trying to find a car I read about, but I have a bad memory.
Okay, this question isn't about renewable energy, but it does involve the 'Save the Planet' concept, so I'm hoping people won't be too upset.

I read about a car in a magazine a while back.  It had a "normal" gas-powered engine, but was only about 8 feet long and got about 70MPG when driven the way car manufacturers test their cars.  Not a lot of information, I know, but I'm hoping it's enough for people to help me track down the car.

The guy and his girlfriend made a multi-day trip across a portion of the United States, then wrote an article for a magazine.  I'm certain I have a subscription to that magazine, yet I don't know which magazine it is.  In the order of magazines I think are most likely to have the article to mag that I think is least likely to have the article, they are...

Popular Mechanics
Popular Science
Wired
Discover

I don't necessarily need the precise article, if you want to guess, or know of another car whose gas mileage is based on small size and/or low weight for volume, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm about to peruse the site.  I figured my question was off-topic to the point where the answer probably wouldn't already be here, but if I happen to find it, or something similar, I'll save people the trouble and come back to this thread. Smiley

Posted by Jason Goatcher on Sep 30, 2007 10:02 pm

#6 -  AltE > Discussion > Does this site hate the Firefox browser?
I just had a very interesting experience.  I inititally came to this site using Firefox on my Linux computer.  When I tried to create an account I got the following page:

http://store.altenergystore.com/cookie_usage/

For the record, cookies ARE enabled.  So I went to my Windows computer, again with Firefox.  Same page.  I then went into the settings and told Firefox to act more like IE.  Lo and behold, I am able to sign up.  I then went BACK to the Linux computer, where I am now, and obviously I now have the ability to post on a computer that your site complained about before.  How's that for gits and shiggles?

Of course, one has to wonder about the value of a website that forces one to use Internet Exploder, even for a short time.  Microsoft is like DRM, everybody hates it, but nobody is willing to learn how to live without it.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!