J. Chris Cloud's posts

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Jan 18, 2008 09:46 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Vertical Axis, or "Egg Beater" windmills--anyone? ANYone??
heard an awful lot of hype out there about vawt's.  anyone here actually OWN one (other than you, Jay Leno)?  or is it all just more hyperbole and b.s., which the alt energy community can hardly afford?

am interested in 'em, but NOT interested enough to blaze new trails.  i've GOT that t-shirt, and it's a bitch (especially since i'm VERY remote, and repair is quite difficult). 

any feedback from FIRST HAND experience would be MOST appreciated!

honestly,

j. chris

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Apr 30, 2007 11:49 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > any exciting new PRACTICAL technology out there?
Hello All,

I've recently heard a great deal about supercapacitors, hydrogen generating plants (solar powered--see the Hopewell Project), alternative designs for windmills, solar panel developments, etc. 

Anyone out there have any real-life experience with these new technologies?  Any of them worth getting excited about?

I very much look forward to your responses!

Honestly,

J. Chris Cloud

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Apr 19, 2007 10:09 am

#3 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > What say ye, wise and good men?
Any of you have experience/opinions on these? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanadium_redox_battery

http://www.hopewellproject.org/index.html

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Nov 28, 2006 05:03 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: a propane-in-the-arse refrigerator tale....
oh, and by the way...  I got two of 'em here, if any of you want THEM......

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Nov 27, 2006 08:57 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > a propane-in-the-arse refrigerator tale....
Guy that lives on the island next to me called me on the VHF radio today.  Asked if I wanted a one year old propane fridge for the taking.  After the bout of laughter, I told him, "Gee, Bob, no thanks, but I'm trying to quit!"  He said he was DONE with hauling 'round the 100# tanks, and that if I din't want it, he was taking it up to the dump (a sequestered part of the island where garbage is burned), running it over with the backhoe, burning it, and burying what remained.  Chew on that.

jcc

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Nov 11, 2006 11:10 am

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > one I hain't NAER heard of....
Righto. I've got a few miles under me.  However, This is one that downright outright stumps me.  Buddy on a neighboring island has got two 150kW Kohler generators.  One's starter burnt up t'other day.  After a funny bit of chin scratching, we tested the battery.  It was not only DEAD, but it had REVERSED polarity!  At's right.  Positive was negative, and verse-vica.  Was (is) a standard lead-acid group 31.  How'dit happen??  Je ne comprepend-paz.  Shows a solid 12V, reversed polarity.  Load tester whacks it down to "poor", but far from "nada".

'Zis the battery equivalent of a mid-life crisis?  Next thing, is it gonna go out and start wearing clothing innappropriate to it's gender?  Buying red convertables?

--jcc

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Nov 11, 2006 11:09 am

#7 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > one I hain't NAER heard of....
Righto. I've got a few miles under me.  However, This is one that downright outright stumps me.  Buddy on a neighboring island has got two 150kW Kohler generators.  One's starter burnt up t'other day.  After a funny bit of chin scratching, we tested the battery.  It was not only DEAD, but it had REVERSED polarity!  At's right.  Positive was negative, and verse-vica.  Was (is) a standard lead-acid group 31.  How'dit happen??  Je ne comprepend-paz.  Shows a solid 12V, reversed polarity.  Load tester whacks it down to "poor", but far from "nada". 

'Zis the battery equivalent of a mid-life crisis?  Next thing, is it gonna go out and start wearing clothing innappropriate to it's gender?  Buying red convertables? 

--jcc

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 29, 2006 02:45 pm

#8 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Generators
gee, tom... don't hold back~!  Tell us how you REALLY feel....

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 29, 2006 09:23 am

#9 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Generators
Carlos,

I consider myself a "pragmatic environmentalist" (and Libertarian, and adherent to Ayn Rands' theories of Objectivism... but that's another post, on another forum....).  As such, I believe in making as small a "footprint" as practical.  Key word there is "practical".  I do what I can, and admittedly, a lot of what I "can" is afforded by a guy that has TONS of "coin" (who also is keen on being as un-impactive as his life allows).  Harsh reality is, the major power companies on the Mainland (and that is ALL "mainlands") loose 66% of their generated power due to line-loss (the inherent loss of power due to the resistance of the power transmission lines).  Meaning, when you consume a light-bulb's worth of power at your house, the power co had to produce three TIMES that amount of power at the source.  That said, the power companies are able to generate that power SO efficiently that, even though we loose two-thirds of it, it is still produced cheaper and cleaner than WE can do "on sight" (that is, until we begin to develop efficient "neighborhood power generators", that will be able to generate power much closer to the consumer, hence negating the line loss problem--solar, wind, hydro and etc. notwithstanding).  It's simply economies of scale.

I implement a system that allows us to live completely "AE", as we are totally without a grid to tie into. HOWEVER, I do consider humans to be at the top of the food chain.  If I want/need to run an air conditioner, or desalinate salt water, or fill dive tanks, I'll fire up "Mr. Stinky" and be done with it.  Others (most) in my 'hood simply run diesel generators 24/7/365.  They have at least three generators each, of varying size, to enable more efficient usage, but a year has 8,760 hours in it, and every one of 'em goes onto their generators! 

Now, as for your question.  I have friends and family that occasionally have power outages (hurricanes, etc.), that often ask my advice on generators.  They say they're gonna hop on down to Home Despot, and git themselves onea them thar lil' generators an' be READY for the next power outage (especially those further north, where the power outages are less frequent--fewer hurricanes, etc, but when they DO happen, HO-BOY!).  My caveat is always the same.  If you do that, you MUST exercise that lil' gas gennie at least once a month, else when you DO need it, it's gonna resent coming outta retirement.  Small gasoline generators simply suck.  Invariably, they run at 3600 rpm, to save weight and make 'em more portable.  They use tons of gasoline, and yes, they ARE quite polluting.  But hey, everyone drives a car, right?  Propane generators tend to start much easier after a long hiatus, but they have the problem of using TONS of propane.  In my not-so-humble opinion, the best option is to buy as small a DIESEL generator as is practical--too big can indeed be as bad as too small, as the diesel WANTS/NEEDS to run at load.  If you need 20 kW, and purchase 35, the unit tends to idle along, never having a chance to work at load, consequently carbon builds up, and the unit begins to not like that (an analogy: if you don't exercise, yer arteries can harden up...).  Get a unit that spins at 1800 rpm.  Thinkabout it.  The unit does it's mechanical voodoo HALF as often at 1800 than at 3600.  Longevity and quieter operation is inevitable. 

I have not fact-checked this, but a mentor of mine informed me that all smaller diesel engine blocks (four cyl. and below), are manufactured by either Kubota or Yanmar.  Except for the Chinese diesels (which are about as popular as a pork chop in a synagogue, and should be avoided at all costs!!).  Hence, if you buy a smaller Northern Lites, or Onan, or Cat, or whatever, the block is actually made by Kubota or Yanmar, then affixed to their alternator end.  So, my logic has been, why not simply purchase the unit that has been mission-built by the manufacturer of said block?  Well, that, and my very first diesel was a new Kubota garden tractor my pop bought new back in '79, and it is STILL going strong, even having survived the steeeep learning curve and harsh abuse my siblings and I put that lil' sucker through!    So, I have a soft-spot for the Kubota line of machines.  Every machine on my island is either Kubota diesel, or Honda gasoline.  Makes for ordering spares easier.  I have two Kubota generators (16 and 11kW), a Kubota-powered buggy made by Club Car (and this lil' beast is AWESOME! it's the Club Car 294--check it out!), a Kubota L-39 TLB (Backhoe--also mundo-awesome machine!!), two portable Honda generators, a Honda powered cement mixer, and even a Honda Z-50 minibike that I use to zip 'round the island!  There may be a few more Hondas and Kubotas lurking around the Cay, but it's early, and I am only on my second cuppa joe... (oh yeah, and as for outboard motors, I have one word for you:  YAMAHA.) 

You have gotten some good advice from the earlier posters on this thread--most important is that electrons KILL, and yer planning on swimming in the deep end, so bone up on your knowledge. 

Hey, another point...  There are some really cool ancient generators out there--units that only spin in the 600 rpm range.  They are HUGE, weigh tons, but they sit there goin' "chugida-chugida-chugida-chugida", and they actually sound like music to my demented ears.  A REALLY fine website, well worth a coupla hours brousing, is Otherpower.com.  These guys are a HOOT!  Check out their "projects" page...  Smiley

atb,

jcc

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 26, 2006 05:40 pm

#10 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Multiple off grid systems
Carlos,

Send me an email at islandmanagers @ aol.com.  Kinda sorta gotta keep "under the radar", as it were...

jcc

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 26, 2006 12:57 pm

#11 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Multiple off grid systems
Carlos,

Perhaps a compromise is in order.  Say, each "cluster" of cabanas could be on it's own system?  I agree, if the runs are not long, wiring isn't an expense issue.  See, here, I'm faced with 3000' runs, which mandate at lease #8 wire, and pumping 480, three-phase electricty to lessen "line loss" in voltage.  So, to do that, my AE system would have to be 480 three phase, then I'd need transformers at each consumer end.  Muy Complexo!

As for the water pressure, they get over it.  It becomes part of the "out-island charm", without realizing the alterrior motive of water conservation  Smiley

jcc

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 25, 2006 11:34 pm

#12 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Propane refrigerators
yeah, see, since I'm already generating the alt energy, I figgured it's more economical to just incorporate the fridge into the plan.  Not only that, but I've recently had several major failures to the propane units I HAD.  "Free fridge, anyone?  All you gotta do is pick the friggers UP!"  I've not had any problem with our electrical units "snapping", or making much noise at all.  I live in an eight sided house, 34' diameter, all open floor.  In fact, day before yesterday, we FINALLY got a nice break from the late season heat--my house is completely open as I type, at 11:23 at night (of course, the Somfy motorized screens are all down...!).  Man, is it NICE to hear the breeze, and the windchime down on the beach!!  As I said, our house is completely open floor plan; the kitchen is in one quadrant of the eight sides, there is a knee-high concrete wall that divides the house roughly in two, one side of the wall (with a glass shelving unit above it), is the couch, facing the pull-down tv screen (100 whopping inches diag. in a 1000 sq.' house!  not bad, but actually, there is NO ROOM or walls to put a conventional tv against!).  The other side of the wall/shelving unit (right behind the couch), is the bed, headboard towards the wall unit.  The unit is simply 8" bamboo, with 1/2" tempered glass for the shelves.  In the kitchen, I have a standard Kenmore 19 cu/' fridge/freezer.  Even when the ice maker is cycling, it's never kept me up, but I know all folks sleep differently.  When I said "EnergyStar", I meant just any ole' conventional unit from BestBuy or Circuit City or Sears.  They've gotten so efficient, it really beats the cost of propane (or, as I call it, "propain-in-the-arse"

What island you on?  We in Exumas, Bahamas, also about 12 miles from the nearest village/mailboat drop-off, from where our propane comes.  However, I am in the process of installing a fuel bunker (8000 gal. diesel, 4000 gal. gasoline, and 1000 gal. propane), but even then, I won't use it for fridges.  Some things propane does well (water heating, cooking), other things I leave to electricity (fridges, pumping, lighting), and still more I leave to "mr. stinky" (filling dive tanks, running the A/C, and, till I reasearch further a new device to improve the efficiency of the watermaker, squeezing salt water into fresh). 

jcc

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 25, 2006 09:14 pm

#13 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Multiple off grid systems
PS-- it never hurts to also dial the water pressure down to roundabout 15 psi....  that helps with the water consumption....  Smiley

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 25, 2006 09:09 pm

#14 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Multiple off grid systems
Carlos,

I manage a private, 45 acre island 65 miles SE of Nassau, in the Exumas, Bahamas.  I am currently doing a major AE installation, and I've opted for several "stand-alone" units for the following reasons:  I am totally against the cost and complexity of running wireing in conduit all across the island.  I WANT the redundancy of multiple systems, so that if any one location gets hit by lightning, the whole shebang ain't zapped.  Each location will have a bank of Absolyte II batteries (or, perhaps the Deka Unigy II's...), and inverter (most likely by Outback--they provide a TRUE sine wave, and are SEALED against the elements!), an appropriate set of panels, and a Whisper 100 windmill (am considering a Bergy or two for comparisons...).  Your battery bank is the HEART of your system.  Like with cistern size, no one has ever said, "Gee, I sure am glad I let them talk me into the SMALLER unit...!".  Consequently, the more the better.  Each location here will also have it's own small (8kW) diesel generator as back up and emergency power (this also allows A/C in the hot months...)  Each generator is "semi-portable" (built in, but permanently mounted on a small trailer), to enable pulling duty at different locals.
  Here, I have one owner, his immediate family, and a precious few "mainlander" guests.  These are all "dialed in" to the alternative energy lifestyle.  This is a MUCH bigger issue than folks here have implied.  ESPECIALLY if you have a coupla dozen bungaloes loaded with tourists (or, as I inaffectionatly call 'em, "turroids").  Folks on vacation will smile, nod their heads, agree wholly, then go ahead and plug in their hair dryers, take loooong showers, and leave the friggin tap running whilst they brush their teeth.  Believe me, the laundry doing TOWELS alone will drain an astonishing amount of precious h20...   Which brings us to your watermaker demands.  At my warehouse, I have two Watermakers brand 2500 gpd desal units.  I also have a cistern with 70,000 gallons capacity (additionally, I have an island-wide capacity of +/- 120,000 gallons).  And, we USE it!!  My intent is to run "mr. stinky" for a day or two here and there, to top off the tanks.  DON'T simply "run it for a half-hour a day", as this is not good for the watermakers (btw, what brand/size desal do you have?).  That said, I have just been notified of a watermaker motor retrofit that WILL run on AE.  Check the Danfoss SWPE for info... 

So, there's my fifty-seven cents worth.  Cheers!

J. Chris Cloud

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 25, 2006 08:45 pm

#15 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Propane refrigerators
I've found that they are indeed quiet.  However, they tend to go through propane like Sherman went through Richmond....  My vote, get yerself an EnergyStar rated electric unit.  Quite low power usage, these days.  If yer hut is that isolated, do you wanna tote 100# propane cylendars (sp? that one always gets me... along with "solenoid"...) that far?? 

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 7, 2006 06:33 pm

#16 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: what a DEAL! :P
no, says they're brand-new.  plus, there's TWO MORE TRUCKLOADS right behind this one!  Hey, thinkaboudit--1.8 muh-muh-muh-MILLION AA batteries is 4.32 MEGAWATTHOURS!  Now, where's my soldering gun......   

Tongue

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 6, 2006 10:50 pm

#17 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > what a DEAL! :P
chek out ebay item number 170035789804   for a good off-grid chuckle....  Smiley

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 6, 2006 10:23 pm

#18 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Whisper Vs. Bergy, et. al...
ps-- I'd like, for aestethic reasons, to keep the units in the 1000-1500 watt range.  Can't have a honkin' huge 10kW unit monopolizing the island... Tongue

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Oct 6, 2006 10:22 pm

#19 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Whisper Vs. Bergy, et. al...
Good evening, everyone!  Chris here, hoping to tap into the vast resource of knowledge that frequents this board.  I have two Whisper 100's, and am considering adding at least two more windmills.  The question is, what is your collective opinion as to the manufacturers out there?  I'm reasonably happy with the whisper, with one exception (which I'll address shortly...), but I would not mind choosing another manufacturer, to enable "in-the-field comparisons.  Have you any opinions on other brands?

As for the Whispers I currently have, they are rated at 1000 watts.  They have built-in auto furling.  Would one not expect, when they are furled in reasonably heavy winds, to find them crankin' out the rated wattage/amperage?  Mine are hooked to 24V banks, each in excess of 1000 amp/hrs.  However, I never see them cranking out more than about 24 amps...  and this when they are furled, which would indicate max output.  Suggestions? 

Thanks, and a fine, cozy evening to all!

J. Chris Cloud
Exumas, Bahamas

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Mar 6, 2006 07:15 am

#20 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Re: Batteries - 105 a.h. industrial grade
I'm interested!  Where are they (they'd need to be shipped to Miami...)?  Are these kinda-sorta like Absolyte II's?  Can you send pictures of them to my email?  I can be contacted at 242-357-0491, or via email at islandmanagers @ aol.com?  The sooner the better....

thanks!

J. Chris Cloud

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Feb 16, 2005 07:06 am

#21 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Bergy Vs. Whisper...
Hello All.  

Can anyone here give me advice on comparing the Bergy XL-1 to the Whisper 80?  Is one better than the other?  Why?

Any comments at all would be helpful, but especially from someone with practical experience with either or both would be golden.

thanks!

Honestly,
J.Chris Cloud

Posted by J. Chris Cloud on Jun 29, 2004 09:51 am

#22 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Last-Ditch Gel Cell Fix....
Hello All...

Often, I have found that "Maintenance-Free" really means "No Maintenance Allowed--go buy another one", and that "Hermetically Sealed" means much the same thing.  

I have five 8D gel batteries (12V, of course).  They are somewhat dead, won't hold a charge for long.  Somewhere I recall someone had luck with removing the caps, and actually adding pure water to the cells.  

Have any of you ever tried to recover/maintain/reclaime gel cells?  

What may result from trying this?  I have removed the caps from one of the batteries (was really quite simple--just pop the cap off, unscrew the lid underneath), and the cells are, in fact, dry.  The "gel" is in clumps, and I can see the tops of the plates exposed.  What would happen if I were to add some distilled water, and trickle-charge it up to 14.1 or so?

thanks!

chris

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!