Can I use BUS BARS to connect batteries -- NOT cables?

4 Posts
Jun 6, 2007 03:35 pm
Can I use BUS BARS to connect batteries -- NOT cables?

I'm looking at 8 golf cart batteries (6 volt) to be connected into a 12 volt array.

Looks like flat copper bar drilled to drop onto the 5/16" vertical contact studs would make great connections.

What do you think? I can buy silver flashed copper bus bar 1/4" thick by 1" wide and cut and drill it to fit. I'd leave expansion space between the batteries, and maybe stack the array on a tough industrial rubber mat to allow a bit of shifting to happen.

Best, Todd in CC.

578 Posts
Jun 7, 2007 10:27 am
Re: Can I use BUS BARS to connect batteries -- NOT cables?

you can do whatever you want . . . haha

if you want to do it right, i believe that you have to make sure that the cross-sectional area of the bars is greater than or equal to the appropriate gauge of conductor that would have connected them.

the other downside is that you then have to provide your own insulation to the interconnects to make things less dangerous.

i know people have done this, but i dont have the math skills nor the metal skills to have done this myself, but that is what i was taught.

- james  Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

4 Posts
Jun 7, 2007 01:41 pm

if you want to do it right, i believe that you have to make sure that the cross-sectional area of the bars is greater than or equal to the appropriate gauge of conductor that would have connected them.

the other downside is that you then have to provide your own insulation to the interconnects to make things less dangerous.

i know people have done this, but i dont have the math skills nor the metal skills to have done this myself, but
that is what i was taught.

- james  Alt-E staff

James, Thanks for reply. The operating current capacity of the bar I'm looking at is around 300 amps according to charts. So that should be OK. I plan to use standard heavy cable up to fuse and inverter, and a cover over the bank of batteries so that should be OK insulation.

What about the metal of the battery posts? Should these be treated with anything, or just left bare metal? The bus bar will be the only thing on each post. Should I use a lock washer or torque it down? If so, what torque is good?

Thanks, Todd in CC.

184 Posts
Jun 7, 2007 10:35 pm

As a safety precaution I would slip a piece of heat shrinkable tubing over the bars between batteries.  If you don't, sooner or later you'll drop a tool or something conductive across the pos and neg bars.  It is amazing how much current flows when that happens.

John

6 Posts
Jun 9, 2007 03:35 pm

Yes you can it is better then wires. use bearing grease befor and after installation of bar.
The downside. When replacing the battery you will need to remove the bus bar to do so. And not all golf cart batterys are the same. I use sections of bus bars just like wires but solid.
So when testing just one battery you do not have to remove all the nuts and the entire buss bar.
P.S. sorry for the bad spelling.
I have been running my house off solar for 7 years. With 42 golf cart batterys and it is a job on maitnance.
Never maitnance or work on or around batterys during charging or heavy use.
The amps seem to be endless when something goes wrong.
Fuses and safety is not stupidity. Use a lot of it you will live longer.

4 Posts
Jun 10, 2007 04:29 pm

Dane,
Thanks for the good information.
3 questions for you:

1. Do you have a source for copper bus bars? I found one on internet but not sure it's the best. Pretty expensive.

http://store.electrical-insulators-and-copper-ground-bars.com/copper-barstock--250-thickness.html

2. What size bars are you using on the golf cart batteries?

3. What do you use to bolt down the bars? I was thinking just a steel washer and nut, torqued down. Could use brass or copper, but it's dis similar metals anyway -- the battery contact is lead coated and that's against the copper bar. 

Thanks, Todd in CC.

6 Posts
Jun 11, 2007 03:28 pm

A#1  Yes go to your local scrap yard and buy a copper plate around 1/8 inch thick. It is very cheap there and some times you will see a dumpster there from a local company and inside will be cut outs or trimming from a press and it will almost be pefect size but you will need to cut for how long you want it.

A#2  1/8th inch

a#3  NO STEEL it will contaminate the lead posts on the battery when it rusts use the provided nuts on the batterys and if you need to use washers or lock washers use ONLY STAINLESS STEEL T-304

remember use grease on everything its messy but very practical and if you want to keep it from getting eaten away lead cote all the bus bars.

Feel free to ask qustions it may take a long time depending on what im doing. Right now testing hydrogen generator. joe cell & a corburator that is getting around well over 100 mpg. NOTE NONE IS FOR SALE ALL INFO IS FREE.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!