Need info on Wind Gen system

3 Posts
May 6, 2007 11:04 am
Need info on Wind Gen system

Hello,
Im looking to buy atleast one windgenerator and grid tie inverter. But i have no idea what i need for my specific needs .
My avg windspeed is about 12mph. (probably higher in my specific location)
My avg power consumption is around 800kwh.

My goal is to supplement my current power, and eventually put power back into the grid. Or at the least, lower my utility bill by around 50%.
Power outages are very rare here. So to save costs, i would also like to avoid batterys if at all possible.

Any advice would be appreciated. Send quotes to adambond @ ccrtc.com

May 14, 2007 05:40 am
Re: Need info on Wind Gen system

To my mind Adam, there is contradiction in your statement.
At the very least you want to lower you current electric utilities power bill by half, but yet, you want to utilize a more expensive and less reliable way of obtaining that goal.
I'll take it that the 800 kWh is each month?
At the national average of $0.09 per kWh that would be $72.00 a month or half of that which is $36.00

If you can pull it off you will have $36 x 12 = $432 a year X how many years do you expect to pay your electric bill? The rest off you life? I will guess your a young man and say at least 45 years of paying an electric bill. So now we have a grand total of $19,440.00

Now ask the questions, "what wind generator could I install for this amount that would achieve this goal?" 
"Will it and the inverter and all last 45 years without additional cost?" (and thats just to break even!)

There is another way. It would have the potential of being one the hardest things you have ever had to do in your entire life. Its a challenge. One that will test you ever step of the way. Its living without electric utilities. People did it for thousands of years you know. Electric utilities are less than 100 years old! But if you just don't see yourself as that kind of man... I guess I understand.

Would you believe that I have experienced people that expected me to feel ashamed of the fact that I lived without electricity? The same is true of people that thought there was a law against it. Honest to God.

We utilize PV now, not because of any of those reasons above. We use about 40 kWh a month worst case. Thats less than one lighted billboard along the I-95 corridor, assuming two 400 watt MH fixtures burning 10 hours a night for a month.

3 Posts
May 14, 2007 08:32 am
Re: Need info on Wind Gen system

Yes, 800kwh/month
Could you elaborate?
So its more expensive to own a wind gen and grid tie inverter, than to pay the Electric company? And less reliable than P.V's?

I am so happy that you live off the grid.
However, i want to supplement my power supply with a renewable one. And add on as time goes by, and money allows. And perhaps maybe some day be self sufficient in this area. But that currently is not an option.

So i guess i should pose a different question.
Is it possible to supplement ones home electrical needs with a renewable kind to reduce grid used electricity?
If so, what kind? (P.V.'s im now assuming.)
And what further equipment? (inverters, converters, frankfurters....etc)

You said you use PV's now, but "not for the reasons stated above."
So are they also expensive and unreliable? Compared to wind?

I have always been under the impression that PV's are fragile in terms of impact resistance. Hail is very common here.

Are United Solar Ovonic’s PV's available for residential use? If i go PV, i really think those would be great for me.

Im new to this, but want to learn.
It would be a dream come true to someday/somehow work in the renewable energy sector. whether it be manufacturing, or onsite labor, or what ever.

Thanks for the info so far. Keep it coming.
▲Adam

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!