Battery bank or voltage converter?

18 Posts
Mar 24, 2007 12:34 am
Battery bank or voltage converter?

I'm thinking of using a large battery bank and i was wondering it it would be more pratical/economical to design a full 24V system or to use a voltage converter to go from 12V to 24V?

578 Posts
Mar 26, 2007 11:19 am
Re: Battery bank or voltage converter?

if you dont have a lot of 12v appliances, I vote for keeping it simple and going all 24v on the dc and AC after the inverter.  it will keep the wiring simpler for sure and avoid the what do I use for plugs/receptacles issue.

- james Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

18 Posts
Mar 26, 2007 06:14 pm

Thanks James, one more question. what is the most efficient way to wire-up 2 12v batteries in series for 24vdc but then draw only 12vdc for the inverter? im kinda confused on how to charge at 24 and draw all batteries equally at 12v. thanks again

578 Posts
Mar 26, 2007 07:07 pm

hmm? if you already have the 12v inverter, then you might as well leave the whole thing at 12v on the dc side. 

or you could have a 24v pv array and use an mppt controller to step it down for you and you would still have a 12v battery bank and 12v inverter

if you want to run 12v loads, then dont bother with the 24v battery bank, go ahead and put your 12v batteries in parallel (just try to keep it under 3 series strings in parallel) and leave the system at 12v on the dc side.  this way, you can have your 12v loads, and you can keep your system simple.

now i am more curious as to what you have in terms of equipment, and what your goals are for this system.  I'm not sure I have all the details behind your question, and I dont want to give bad advice.

- james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

18 Posts
Mar 26, 2007 10:56 pm

im asking because ive gotten my dad interested in solar, and now, after loosely rigging up our newly built shed (gallery pics), he is thinking of taking the entire garage in the house off the grid(baby steps). for loads, it will most likely be limited to 4 12v lights, hopefully cf, and then to an inverter for light power tools and the sort. he found a 1.5 kw mod-sine inverter from some catalog that he's going to purchase shortly, and wants to possibly use it in this app. i think 1.5 might be overkill but he wants it just in case he needs a larger circular saw or possible space heater. okay, so a straight 12v system. a mppt controller may be out of the question for now, but definitely a possibility in any larger system in the future. as of right now, we dont have another CC or inverter, only in the smaller shed. this is just in the pre-planning stages. what did you mean by "just try to keep it under 3 series strings in parallel"?? thanks   Ian

20 Posts
Mar 28, 2007 05:02 pm

Re. your converter, keep in mind that converters usually have a narrow good efficiency range.  If you use a 1.5kW inverter for a 200W device, it may work at 80% efficiency or less, i.e. it will draw 250W or more, i.e. draw 20A+ on your 12V battery bank.   Make sure your batteries and wiring can take it.
Good luck with your project.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!