2 different size battery banks

Mar 7, 2007 04:18 pm
2 different size battery banks

I have 2 rolls 530 6 volt batteries on my boat that are almost 3 years old. They are fed with 6 panels and overnight I use around 50 amps. I got a chance to get 2 new Trojan t-105 for back-up so I put them in with a switch. I charged them and have never used them keeping them for back-up. Should I use them or just keep using the Rolls? I have had a pulsing desulfator on the Rolls since they were new. Should I have to equalize them?

462 Posts
Mar 9, 2007 12:15 pm
Re: 2 different size battery banks

William, if each set of the batteries have a little age, and are of the same type, flooded lead acid, but they still hold a charge, why not put them all together, the two 6's in series, then those two groups in parallel, to increase your overall amphrs at 12 volts, without switching.  Then all the batteries will equally cycle and you may get more years out of them.
  Then, keep an eye on them to see if any obvious, overall power loss occurs from a bad battery in the the group. At least then you should be able to tell if a battery is going bad instead of switching and finding out then, when you really need the power.

« Last Edit: Mar 9, 2007 12:22 pm by Tom Mayrand »

Mar 9, 2007 01:47 pm

The 2 Rolls @400 amp hrs are almost 3 years old. The 2 new batteries are US Power 225 amp. Won't the bigger Rolls try to feed the small 225 amp hr as they discharge? They are both connected to a battery switch that has 1-2-or both so the switching is easy.
« Last Edit: Mar 9, 2007 01:50 pm by william isherwood »

462 Posts
Mar 15, 2007 12:46 pm

Then you should be all set. Just switch over to both once and a while to  make sure you give them all some discharge occasionally.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!