mppt controler with different size panels?

Feb 10, 2007 09:43 am
mppt controler with different size panels?

The BZ 500 mppt is on sale so I want to get a back-up controller to my Xantrex/Trace c-40. I am in the Bahamas on a sailing catamaran so I like to have spares and have the space for 6 panels.
1 Evergreen 110 watt
2 Photowatt 50 watt
1 Photowatt 40 watt
2 Photowatt 80 watt
TOTAL......410 WATTS
Would I get any boost with these different size panels or should I get a Xantrex c-35 and save $100?

I charge 2ea. l-16 type Rolls S-530 batteries and use 40-60 amps overnight with computer, lights, fridge and fan.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2007 09:57 am by william isherwood »

578 Posts
Feb 12, 2007 10:18 am
Re: mppt controler with different size panels?

I vote no to the mppt controller with mixed modules.  Mppt works best when there is an array of all the same modules that have the same IV curve.  While having mppt wont hurt any, I dont think that you will gain that much with a mixed array.

bz products makes nice stuff, but I would not invest with a mixed array.  It is interesting to not that blue sky controllers fall back to pwm operation when there is no advantage to be gained from mppt.

perhaps some other folks can share their experiences.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

3 Posts
Feb 12, 2007 05:23 pm
Re: mppt controler with different size panels?

I am currently using two BlueSky controllers  a 60 and a 50 series. I have 8 sharp 175w on  the 60 (1400w) I have
2 sharps 175w in series (350w) and 4 seimens  100w in series  (400w) on the Bluesky 50. I realize I am losing 50 watts on the seimens giving me a net 700 w on the Bluesky 50.
My point is both the digital readouts on my trimetric and  the Digital readouts on the Blue sky units are always one half of each other.
So I am suffering no ill effects that I can see outside of my 50w loss.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!