Concentrating Regular PV's

13 Posts
Jan 7, 2007 12:09 am
Concentrating Regular PV's

I'd expect this has come up before, but is there some info available on how much extra sunlight you can pump onto any of the standard PV types without suffering excessive degradation, or going past the panel's peak output?

I am in situations where I'd generally only be looking to 'wall in' the panel with angled side mirrors, boosting the input to maybe 2, 2.5 suns, but is this counterproductive to the lifespan of the panel, or within it's tolerances.

(I have a range of Mono and Poly crystalline panels, if any answers are type-specific.)

I am in Maine, and would be happy enough if my additional 'concentrators' were bringing my one "Maine" sun up to one "Arizona" sun, and might configure accordingly.

I do understand the complications of tracking, so this question really just hangs on the tolerances of the Silicon panels themselves.. which does, incidentally, also beg the question of how much attaching a 'coolant' setup to the rear of the PV would improve the outputs in case of sending a 'couple suns' onto the PV's face.

Thanks!
Bob Fiske

5 Posts
Jan 24, 2007 04:39 pm
Re: Concentrating Regular PV's

I've seen prototype systems that use concentrating mirrors on a smaller panel with "coolant" running behind the panel.  If you look at the standard voltage-current curves for most panels, you'll see that the panel output drops significantly with increase in temperature.

The idea behind the coolant would be to keep the panel cool and also collect useable heat therefore increasing the overall efficiency of the system.

Working this into a custom built system would be neat but would surely void the warranty on a new panel.  I would try a few experiments with some used panels first.

Tom

578 Posts
Jan 24, 2007 05:01 pm

I would not try to concentrate light/heat on pv modules.  Not only would the heat diminish performance, but the power required to do active cooling would create a net loss. 

In addition, this would not meet any electric and or fire code.

If it did have the desired effect, the modules' output could possibly exceed their series fuse ratings and burn themselves out.

I would strongly suggest not rigging up home-made concentrators for off the shelf pv. 

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Jan 26, 2007 05:20 am

I agree with Cormican.
More sunlight means more heat which is not good.
Cold is better. Cold is one of the reason for a multiplier of 156% on current carrying conductors for PV source circuits. That along with "edge of cloud effect" and snow reflection.
Thats 125% to satisfy UL and 125% to satisfy the NEC.
Lets say you have a PV module with a Short Circuit amperage rating of 7.5 After the 156% correction factor it would be 11.7 .
 Isn't that a kick in the head?
Standard Test Conditions for rating PV modules are very very rare in the real world as it is. 1,000 watts per square meters? Come on! Maybe if your standing directly under a huge hole in the Ozone layer on a clear day at noon time would there be about 800 watts per square meter.

As for experimenting ~ Hey! We wouldn't have half of this stuff that we've got today if some body hadn't of experimented. Right? Although if you got a roof top PV array you may want to reconsider, 'cause you don't want to burn your house down, do you?

This link to another web site sounds promising if not intriguing. Although some of it sounds like double talk, if you catch my drift.

http://www.powerchips.gi/index.shtml

462 Posts
Jan 26, 2007 01:19 pm

Bob, since you are in Maine, keeping the panels cool is probably not a problem. Using reflectors to increase light input is a good idea and cheaper than tracking devices. Most calculations regarding solar gain take into account reflection. Make your design something like a solar box cooker and you should be golden....

Jan 27, 2007 12:40 pm

I looked at the powerchips website, and I think they are simply reinventing thermopiles.  See for example http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/POWER/thermoelectric/thermoelectric.htm.  Maybe Powerchips has a way to make this very old technology more efficient, but I am skeptical.

I own an island off the coast of Nova Scotia, where there is no possibility of power from the mainland.  I will be building there in about two years.  I just found this site and I will enjoy reading and learning from everyone's discussions about alternative energy sources.

Jan 27, 2007 02:42 pm

To, Tom M.
 I am curious about your statement of
 "Most calculations regarding solar gain take into account reflection."
When I read "solar gain" in this forinstance it sounds kinda broad reaching.
How many calculations are there regarding solar gain in regard to "off the shelf" PV module source circuit, current carrying conductor sizing with mirrors for added reflection?

It would be interesting to know before hand the anticipated amperage of a PV module in regard to its rated Isc along with the 156% correction factor and more importantly, the possibility of increased amperage caused by adding mirrors.

For example: In my previous example I used an Isc of 7.5 amps with the 156% correction factor for reasons such as; below freezing temperatures and/or snow reflection and/or edge of cloud effect and/or the equivalent of 1,000 watts per square meter of natural sunlight,
but not mirrors.
Lets say all of those things come into effect (by some strange miracle) and indeed the PV module is producing 11.7 amps. How much more amperage would adding mirrors cause?
In other words, could the wire size handle the extra amperage of all these possibilities???

Its noon time. There is a foot of snow on everything (except the PV module.) There is a hole in the ozone layer. The sky is clear except for that one lonely could of a certain kind. You have mirrors around the PV module and its charging a nearly dead battery.
All I am saying is, there are possibilities and probabilities. Which one do you plan for.

Jan 27, 2007 03:19 pm

To, Stephen M.

Now see, I would have to disagree with whomever wrote the first paragraph of that article.

In fact that history began sometime during the 1780's.

While cutting a frog leg, Luigi Galvani's steel scalpel touched a brass hook that was holding the leg in place. The leg twitched.
It was probably the Sodium and/or Potassium (which are both metals by the way) in the fluids of the leg that acted like an electrolyte.
As for the other stuff...
Your right. What a lot people don't realize is that there is no such thing as "cold" because "cold" is merely the absence of heat and all matter with molecular motion generates heat. The more motion the more heat.
In fact, 0 degrees Kelvin is the temperature at which there is no molecular motion. Which translates into -459 degrees Fahrenheit. Thats cold!

Bon appetit!

462 Posts
Jan 29, 2007 04:38 pm

Thomas, hopefully you are aware of heliostats (mirrors) that are used in large scale solar furnaces. Basically they reflect and focus light on a target. The idea that Bob has would basically increase the incident lighting on the panel. Direct sunlight is the best, so when the sun starts changing it's angle, the mirrors would reflect some of this light onto the panel thus giving the sense of getting more sunlight over a given day.
 As far as calculations, reflectivity is usually accounted for if it is available. This is why I always tell customers that a ground installation is always better than a roof installation. Then you can take advantage of this reflective energy, change the angles of the panels for more direct gain, and not to mention reduction in installation and maintenance costs.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2007 04:42 pm by Tom Mayrand »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!