Solar Air Conditioners???

163 Posts
Oct 25, 2006 06:30 pm
Solar Air Conditioners???

Air-conditioning accounts for the major portion of my electricity usage during the summer months. Since evaporative cooling is ineffective due to the high humidity, I was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience with solar air conditioning of any sorts.

I've been sort of keeping track of the unit manufactured by GPM and now distributed by SolCool since the first announcement quite a while ago. Prices have only fallen from around $7K down to around $6K which leads me to believe that sales are not going that well. It would be nice to hear an independent opinion since I am a bit skeptical about anything that SolCool might have to say after reading this:
http://www.solcool.net/fms.htm

A study carried out by the California Energy Commission seems to think that it is feasible. However, it doesn't appear as if WorkSmart Energy Enterprises have had any success with a commercial product either.
http://www.energy.ca.gov/reports/2004-10-20_500-04-062.PDF

462 Posts
Nov 1, 2006 10:41 am
Re: Solar Air Conditioners???

John, instead of trying to find an air conditioner that uses little electricity, try finding ways to cool your home that uses no electricity. Natural venting of hot air up and out of your home should be your first thought. Pulling in cooler air from a basement or shaded side of your home should be your next thought. Shading, closing and locking windows will keep sunlight out and hot air from creeping in during the day. Open windows after sundown and close them first thing in the morning to trap the cooler night time air inside.
 The biggest problem I see is that people keep two or more windows or vents open in an attic space and keep their attic door closed. Then hot outside air just bounces back and forth and heats the attic and that heat eventually makes it's way down into the house. If you open one window, it has to draw air from somewhere else in order to vent, through the now open attic doorway, pulling the hottest air up and out of your house.

163 Posts
Nov 1, 2006 12:11 pm

Thanks Tom.

I've invested a lot in insulation and double glazed windows so my home is fairly energy efficient. We slept without the AC last night and will probably only use it a few times between now and May next year. However, from June through August when the temperature and humidity are both in the 90's there isn't a source of cool air anywhere, not even at night. Having been born here I'm acclimatized to it but others have a difficult time adjusting and just run their AC units all year round.

John

2 Posts
Nov 12, 2006 06:10 am

John and Tom,
    I'm out here seeking ways and means to remove the electric and water company from my life - or better said: to produce those resources without paying a 'subscriber's fee.' I have 3 wells - all shallow and have 8 buildings to supply. I rent 3, live in another and there's the wells and the workshops. I live on 10 acres in Sumter Forest, South Carolina.
    The advice Tom sends is, of course, appropreate and common sense. However, it would cost more for me to bundle up all my buildings (some built during the 1700's) then to instead buy everything Blue Link has to offer and install it. The point being that for those interested and dedicated to the replacement of old tech, the notion that we need to bother with what old tech has conquered - taking time to make sure windows are closed, basements (if we have them) circulate flow, the sun comes up today or not - only thwarts the efforts of new tech to deliver on promises but also discourages more people from joining hands to the project(s). I want a solar AC.  I want 70 amps delivered to me daily, I want what I already have - regardless of my living habits. Where is that technology?

Joe

Thanks Tom.

I've invested a lot in insulation and double glazed windows so my home is fairly energy efficient. We slept without the AC last night and will probably only use it a few times between now and May next year. However, from June through August when the temperature and humidity are both in the 90's there isn't a source of cool air anywhere, not even at night. Having been born here I'm acclimatized to it but others have a difficult time adjusting and just run their AC units all year round.

John

2 Posts
Nov 20, 2006 05:00 am

I have a solaventi Sv7
http://www.freewebs.com/hansson29/solarventi2.JPG
It works very good
http://www.lacomfort.se/

2 Posts
Nov 20, 2006 03:10 pm

Baxima,
 Is there an English translation to that website?
What's the price and can anyone install it?
Joe

163 Posts
Nov 20, 2006 04:50 pm

Joe,

I did a search and found more information on it here:
http://www.synergex.co.nz/solarventi.shtml

And here:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/ges/solarventi/solarventi.html

It's a bit of a stretch to call it an air conditioner, and it can't work for me.

John

2 Posts
Nov 21, 2006 04:27 am

Baxima,
 Is there an English translation to that website?
What's the price and can anyone install it?
Joe

It`s 4000 sek. 1$ is 7 sek. Its simpel to install.
Just make a hole in the wall.and put the panel on the wall.

http://www.aidt.dk/ More info.

Check out my heating system to :-)
http://www.freewebs.com/hansson29/byteavvedpanna.htm
http://www.freewebs.com/hansson29/merbilder.htm
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2006 04:31 am by Baxima Hansson »

6 Posts
Jul 20, 2008 11:17 pm

Dear John B.
Do you have an attic and typical pitched roof?  In 1984, in Wash. State I created a passive heating system in Burlington, located 60 miles south of the Canadian border.  My system has produced 90 % of all heating for a building 95' X 55' and 3 stories tall.  The original "solar" heating unit cost nothing.  The attic space is the solar unit.  I used a remote sensor located a distance of 30" from the peak inside a 4 in 12 pitched comp black roof.  I had installed a "Hot-Water" furnace on the first floor with a used hot-water radiator inside the typical squirrel cage fan system.  I installed an 8" duct pipe into the top of the return air duct to squirrel cage vertical duct pipe.  This pipe simply followed the roof pitch to inside next to the sensor unit. The first time this "complicated" system produced 65 degree heat occurred on Dec 23, 1984.  My building temperate was 66 deg. from the gas boilers system. I was sweeping the first floor and the boiler system was turned off. I heard the fan system start and entered the boiler room to turn the remote sensor above 65 to see if the fan would stop.  It stopped at 67 degree's and came back on at 65 deg. Guess what was happening outside?  I went outside at 2 PM and it was snowing and 28 degrees.  Three inches of snow had accumulated on the roof surface.  This system has operated for 24 years and the average natural gas bill has been $6 per month.  Does this help you?  I built 4 more projects from Bellingham to Vancouver WA.  In Vancouver, WA. I added "Passive" air-conditioning to the solar heating system.  The system was built to operate with no input from any person.  This system has operated since 1988 with no repairs or changes.  The building is 74 x 144 x 2 stories.  The inside temperature is "automatically" kept at 68 degree.  The system I designed automatically changes at night to cool the building to the desired temperature and if heat is need it is automatically adjusted to +/- five degree from 68 static Temperature.  The average natural gas cost for the complete building was $500 a year or $1.37 per day.  Does this help you with your problem?  This system requires an attic to create the cool/hot air system to work.  An added bonus with this final design was the "automatic" air conditioning aspect when needed with no adjustment to the thermostat set at 65 degree.  The air conditioning system was totally "automatic" with no input by manager.
    I will be glad to send you the concept, costs associated with my projects in Mount Vernon and Vancouver WA.  I will send pictures and design drawings if you "Actually" want to create a system.  My first system in 1984, in Burlington cost less then $100 to heat a building 95' long and 55' wide and 3-stories in height.  The actual cost to heat for the 24 years average's $1.00 per day.  The cost of the project I created, designed and built in Vancouver WA. In 1989 was the first and only project where I created an automatic "heating/Cooling" passive solar system.  This building was 142' long x 74' wide and two-stories tall.  In this project I created a "Super Solar Heating and automatic solar cooling" system that required no input from the management.  It has been in operation for 19 years with no adjustment or changes. 
EXPENSE'S FROM --7-1-90 TO 3/30/90 CLARK COUNTY PROJECT-4/24/90         
      Costs AS OF operations 4/20/909 (11 months operation costs)               

POWER                           $998
NATURAL GAS(HEAT)           $563   
TELEPHONE                   $572           
ADVERTISING                   $2,730                                     
WATER/SEWER/GARBAGE   $192   
ELEVATOR MAINT.           $1,134   
INSURANCE                   $2,647       
REAL EST. TAXES           $3,496   
MANAGERS SALARY/TAX   $9,255   
BOOKEEPING/ACCT./LEGAL   $1,725   
OFFICE SUPPLIES           $1,399   
REPAIRS/MAINT.           $1,505   
ADMIN. MAN 4%           $1,919         
INTEREST EXPENSE           $8897.49           
      UNITS   189   NET SQ. FT.   12590

Mount Vernon---- Mini located in Mount Vernon Wash-89/90
INCOME   --------$47,729--Net--$2,444 per month   

Monthly costs/1989/90     
$26,880    Expenses FOR 1-YEAR PRIOR to 9-30-90     
$118,765    Income-1990 Initial investment-$65460-Rate of Return of --78.16%

VENDORS   89/90   Daily %

Puget   1996   $5.47
Vendor-------Yearly-Daily       
Cascade Gas   411      $1.13       
Contel Phone   624      $1.71       
Yellow pages   1296      $3.55       
PUD                   232      $0.64       
Rural Garbage   132      $0.36       
Elev. Maint.   552      $1.51       
Insurance           1604     $4.39       
Statements   900     $2.47       
Accountant   1200     $3.29       
Prop. Taxes   4850     $13.29       
Salary          13083   $35.84       
Total Exp.   26880   $73.64    Daily fixed costs

Number above show the cash flows two projects created, this shows that the cost of heating and cooling using passive heating and cooling will generate 
the following rate of return:

Safe return of monies/CD or saving account     
     Need this % to = projects profit return First Year   78.16%   $51,164
   Second year                                                                      $91,155   
        Third year                                                                       $162,402       
       Interest rate per year to create these cash flows--78.16%         
       needed on $65,460   to create  $304,721    in Total
The passive Heat and cooling would average of $1.13 a day to heat and cool a building of 213,120 cubic feet.  for $0.000005302 per day.  I declare that this an impossible fact, "BUT it is real". 
    So heating your home or business using the system I have created was VALID twenty-five years age and even more so today???
     I can draft the system and how it works if you so desire.  I built six Mini's starting in 1978 in Centralia, WA.  IF what is shown above makes sense, please respond.  IF not, simply ignore.
     Does this explain the process?  I have not paid any money to air-condition our project to 68 deg since 1989. 

ALL three of my northern project's fall into your climate zone. 
Thank You, Anachronism--"Out of its Time and Place"

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!