12V DC 115A to 24V DC...

Sep 8, 2006 12:57 pm
12V DC 115A to 24V DC...

Dear All,

Need some advice how to find a suitable solution for the following:

Have a 12V 115A alternator however I need to charge a 24V battery bank. HavenĀ“t been able to find any DC Voltage Converters 12V->24V managing 115A. Any ideas anyone ?

an alternative - not very effective one - is to go via an inverter 12V -> 230V -> 24V...

RGDS

Carl W
Sweden 

1 Posts
Sep 8, 2006 05:43 pm
Re: 12V DC 115A to 24V DC...

Newmar makes all kinds of converters. Pricey!!! With the amount of current you have you could afford some conversion loss.
Check on Ebay

462 Posts
Sep 13, 2006 09:22 am

Carl, if the batteries are separate 12 volt batteries, you could disconnect them, then fully charge each at 12 volts, then reconnect at 24 volts. A little bit of work, but could save you the cost of a converter. Or else change over to a 12 volt setup, new batteries may be cost effective over a converter.

29 Posts
Sep 15, 2006 06:21 am

To be honest the "Best and Safest and Easiest" thing to do is not use the 12 volt alternator, but use a 24 volt alternator. There are a few on e-bay. One of my systems has three 24 volt 1500 amp hour battery banks. I am building a charger using a small engine about 14 to 18HP using a 24 to 28 volt alternator with no less then 120 amps output. Trust me you wiring problems will be much easier and the system will be a lot safer using the correct voltage alternator.
capt.arcandspark

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!