Finanching off the grid

5 Posts
Jul 19, 2006 02:38 pm
Finanching off the grid

Hello,
I an in New Mexico, looking to finance my home but can't because I am out in open range and off the grid. We want to use wind and solar power but everytime we go to finance the house we are told no because the house will be too complicated for the normal American??
Anyone know how to finance off the grid, tried rural but we are two miles to close to a town.
Thanks for your time,
Debra

Jul 20, 2006 04:03 am
Re: Finanching off the grid

"because the house will be to complicated for the normal American."

I don't know about anyone else but I find that statement very insulting.
What is the name of those financial institutions?
That really needs to be passed on to the entire RE community.

But really, what can  one  do? They (financiers) have something you want which gives them the upper hand.

I do not fully understand your last statement about trying rural but to close to town. What does that mean?

I do not know if you will find what you are looking for at this web site < www.nmpartnership.com > but it might lead you to someone who can. I glanced around this web site and read bunches of forward looking statements concerning RE and New Mexico's economy and all. It is disturbing but not suprising to me how those financial institutions in New Mexico can get away with such a backwards looking statement such as the one in your post. Next time... tell them to put that in writting then see what they have to say!

I would love to know their definition of "normal American."
I guess that would be someone who burns thousands of tons of coal everyday to produce electricity for a profit. Or floods thousands of acres of land for the same reason. Or creates thousands of pounds of nuclear waste for the same reason.
All you want to do is produce enough electrcity for your household from nature.

5 Posts
Jul 20, 2006 02:52 pm

My husband was the one that "Frost Mortgage in Albuquerque",told and he said I misquoted."The electrical system will be too complicated for the average American to handle, therefore we would not be able to put the house on the market if need."
Since then I talked to a good bank in Taos,Centinel Bank Of Taos, they would be happy to do help. Then the but I live in Sandoval county, and they are too small to reach out past Taos county.
All the other banks and mortgage company's either say they just can't do solar/wind with that being the bottom line or one with Quality Wholesale Homes said,"They couldn't because we wouldn't have continuous electricity."...LOL......
The question you had on to near a town. WE need to be 8 miles from a town of 2500 to fit into the slot for rural housing loans, some require that you are 8 miles from town. WE are just under 7 in real open range, nearest neighbors are King Ranch cows. Nearest house if four miles. For the other rural housing loans the nearest city can't be over 2500 and Rio Rancho is 51765.
I am going to check the web sight.
I did find one that is looking at my problems(didn't think I had any) but the restrictions there are we have to have a stick built house...I really would laugh but it is not funny.
Oh, yes forgot one bank said," No problem but I would have to include the $40,000. that PNM wants to hook me up to their power.

578 Posts
Jul 20, 2006 02:57 pm

Hi debra,

I used to live in new mexico, so I have some sources for you to go to.  Contact the nmsea (new mexico solar energy assoc) and see what info they have for you.  Every year in late summer/early fall they host the solar fiesta in ABQ and there are many booths filled with retailers, installers, manufacturerers, my alma mater San Juan College, and a few banks and credit unions that can help you with your financing question.  Try asking the folks at homepower or mother earth news magazines if they have heard of any new financing options as well.  Realize that the better you can have things documented, the better your chances are.  Get a reputable installer involved along with local electrical inspector (before trying to get financing) and your chances may get better.

take care and good luck,

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

5 Posts
Jul 20, 2006 03:36 pm

Thank you James,
I should appologize to Mr.  Schmidt for not thanking him for his post, but this financing is really getting under my skin.
Wonderful, information we are from Louisiana and it just makes since to make friends with the winds and wonderful sun light.
Thank you for your time.

1 Posts
Sep 1, 2006 04:49 pm

Hi Debra
   I'm based in Taos and do mortgage work in New Mexico and Colorado with Delta Mortgage. I'm an advocate for renewable energy and related building practices. I've been researching off grid mortgage funding. If you are still looking for help please feel free to contact me at donconoscenti @ qwest.net or 505-758-5363 and we can put our heads together on this. Best to you. Don Conoscenti

5 Posts
Sep 1, 2006 10:23 pm

Thank you Don for your reply. I will be contacting you to see about funding.
Debra

27 Posts
Sep 1, 2006 11:12 pm

Hey Debra, let me know what you come up with, since I'm eventually gonna head back to Taos and build an off-grid home.  I used to winter in Taos and work at the ski shop at the mountain. Did that for like 7 years.  Ever since then I cannot get Taos outa my head and will eventually move there full time.  (And of course still sell for Alt Energy Store) From the sounds of your location, your either deep in Taos Canyon or past the gorge out in the Mesa. I lived in one of Mike Reynolds Earthship homes for the winter. That was very cool. Anyhow, good luck with finding financing.---Ben

The Alternative Energy Store
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.AltEnergyStore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x101  or +1.978.562.5858 x101
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

5 Posts
Sep 3, 2006 01:37 pm

HI Ben,
I am in open range outside Rio Rancho. I love the earthships but I am doing a standard house but using the graywater, and will be off the grid. Health prevents the labor of an earthship. The problem lies in being only  7 miles out of Rio but in open range. So a few miles too near a large city to be classified as rural.PNM wants $40,000.00 to run electric to us. So since husband retired from electrial plant we can easily put in and run solar and wind.
Take care
Debra

13 Posts
Sep 11, 2006 02:13 pm

Not directly referring to the financing of the home, but do not forget the IRS tax credits for the solar/wind equipment. Go to the IRS site and search on "solar power tax credit"

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!