The future of mankind

Mar 19, 2006 04:24 am
The future of mankind

Subtitle: (Rare, Medium Rare, or Well Done?)

At one time or another in our lives we may have seen the images of or heard the story of the kid with a new magnifying glass focusing our Suns radiant energy onto unsuspecting insects.
With 6.3 billion humans on the planet Earth its bound to have happened.
I hope that kid didnt grow up to be in charge of this operation!

Mile-Wide Sheets of Solar Cells

Time Warner's Business 2.0 (B20 magazine) highlights Space Island Group's plan for space-based solar energy fields.  According to B20, early in the next decade SIG will begin placing huge, mile-wide sheets of solar cells in Earth orbit.  The NASA-designed structures, called solar power satellites, will convert sunlight into electricity, and then use weak microwave beams to send that energy down to antennas on the Earth.  More on this concept at: <http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B5B3A377C%2D20DA%2D4749%2DAE0B%2DE499489F64E0%7D&siteid=mktw&dist=nbk&symb=>
Space Island Group: <http://www.spaceislandgroup.com/home.html>
<http://www.marketwire.com/mw/frame%5fmw?attachid=247768>

To think that mankind would need so much energy that we would allow such a divice as descrided above is truly disturbing. If what we are in this seemingly infinite universe is a smaller part of a universe much larger than we could every comprehend, in the mote of Gods eye as it were. Then I would believe that we are on our way to becoming something of a cancer in that universe.
Pity about Earth.

351 Posts
Mar 19, 2006 04:11 pm
Re: The future of mankind

Sunour

After reading the various links you provided and particularly the additional info at
http://www.spaceislandgroup.com/solarsat.html
I place this idea somewhere between very �forward looking statements� and outright science fiction.

Think about the statement beaming the power to earth on a �weak microwave beam�.
You know that �watts is watts�. So, it is either a very strong microwave beam, or a powerful electric charge riding down the pilot wire of the weaker microwave beam,  essentially a continuous lightning bolt.  There would be tremendous concerns about this that need to be addressed.  I want to see their Draft EIR on this one. I think when it hits the streets, it will be shot down in flames.
And despite their �the technology exists� statements,  no one has ever transmitted hundreds of megawatts of power over a thousand miles, much less 22 thousand, by a method similar to this.

They are also going to have extreme difficulties in keeping the solar panel aligned to the sun. Unlike communications satellites which stay oriented to the earth throughout the orbit and focus their smaller and lighter panels towards the sun, these panels are going to have to rotate once every 24 hours so that they stay oriented towards the sun. Without a giant heavy mass in the center, that is going to be extremely hard to do.

I also question their statement that the power will be available 24/7.  Although this is true near the winter and summer solstices, I do not believe it to be possible near the spring and fall equinoxes.  The unit would have to pass through the earths shadow, or �night time�.

The biggest obstacle that they face is their economics. Every ounce that you lift into space costs you big money.  While some of their ideas (e.g. building space stations from expended external fuel tanks) may have some perhaps mutually beneficial ideas, eventually you will run up against the barrier of subsidizing a commercial enterprise with tax dollars. When you combine the costs of this giant solar panel with the costs of lifting it into space, I do not see them doing it cheaper than a bunch of panels (or any other technology we can name) here on earth.  The �gravity well� is a huge obstacle.  

Bottom line, in my opinion, the roll out date on this is not going to be 2012. It would more likely be closer to 2112, and most likely, never.  

Mar 24, 2006 07:32 am

When the invention of the Radio is spoken of, the name Guglielmo Marconi typically comes up. But what most people don't know is that before Marconi invented the Radio, Nikola Tesla demostrated a remote control toy boat in Madison Square Gardens and patented that technology. Whats more, the U.S. Supreme Court later recognized Tesla's patent as having priorty over Marconi's. All of this took place from the year 1898 to 1943.

What we are talking about here is wireless electricity and here it is 2006 and there is talk of projecting microwaves at our Earth from solar powered electric generators floating in space. Think about it -
From a toy boat to this solar sail/microwave thing in just 100 years!

The multitudes of humans on Earth may honestly believe that they need all of the energy that they are utilizing and that they will need more and more as time goes by. As well, I am sure that there will always be humans on Earth willing to provide it, at a price of course. Personally, I think the need for all of this energy is all a delusion. Its not the technology I am in doubt of, its the utilization of it by human beings.

Mankind may have the technologies but does that automaticaly mean we should utilizes them? In other words, there is not one single human being or group of human beings born unto the planet Earth that I would ever trust to hold a this "Galactic Bug Zapper" over my head no matter how much energy I believed I needed to stay alive.

9 Posts
Apr 11, 2006 04:37 pm

I agree... who needs all this power??  But... hey, we're all talking here over powered internet connections... I guess we need *some* power.

I want to comment on two things that have come up in this string.  First, microwave (ovens).  I've been told, supposedly from a reliable source, that the USA is the only country in the world that allows the use of these ovens, and that the microwaves might be having an effect on basic amino acids in foods, such that these become cancer-causing agents.... anyone know anything more about this?  Whether or not it's true, I don't like the idea of being bathed in microwaves from space for the rest of my life!

Secondly, the magnifying glass and the insect... great idea!  Why doesn't someone focus his/her brain on focusing what sun-light *is* available at any given time, on a better (higher-power-density-capable) type of solar collector?  Basically... turn acres of huge flat panels into much smaller areas of collectors under dedicated magnifying glasses?  Totally passive... huge potential for any solar energy collection system.  Maybe the Hubble should be turned around... 180.  NOT!

351 Posts
Apr 12, 2006 11:37 am

"I've been told, supposedly from a reliable source, that the USA is the only country in the world that allows the use of these ovens,"

I've seen microwave ovens in almost every country I have visited. They are all over the EU. How about Canada ? They even have them in Papua New Guinea.  

You should check with your source and have him give us some countries where he believes they are outlawed.

29 Posts
Apr 13, 2006 02:54 am

Microwave ovens are really all around the world and not outlawed, so I doubt that some (Esoteric ?) sources are really  right with the negative effect on food.
But to make you a little nervous: you are daily showered in all kind of 'electro smog' on all frequences emitted from radio & TV stations, radar, cellphones (very near to your brain), microwave links for phone and data transfer, strong electro magnetic fields of high voltage overland lines etc, and they harm you more than warming up food in the microwave oven....

I also see the story of satelite based Solar modules in TV back in March, however the transmission was based on Laser and some science labs are working on receiving/extracting electricity back from Laser beams.
As space technologie is very expensive setting up PV modules on every roof of a building, or huge arrays in the desert might be much more cost efficient than space based PV.

Increasing the poor performance of solar modules & hydrogen fuel-cells might also be a way. Current multi-crystaline modules work at 12-15%, single-C at 16-18% and thinfilm was working at 7-8% (now Shell-Solar made some breakthru for 12-14%). So an Array of 1 square meter catching 1000W of sunlight produces only 120-180 Watt. Some guys also working on this refelction problem so output per space might increase some day.
Fuel cells are also operating on a poor below 20% output, as most energy is lost as heat inbetween the electrolyte layers. Also a lab in Germany is working on improving it and they could made the layer surface so smooth it increased the ratio to more than 50%. Current day technologie (one of the best I see so far) was an electrolyzer with hyrdid storage plus fuelcell combination unit in the internet: input 3800W to produce 12kg/h Hydrogen to store it, and the fuel cell was producing 3KW using 60kg/h.
Now my calculation: To generate 3KWH from the fuel cell, I would need 60kg Hydrogen, prodcued in the electrolyzer 5h long consuming 3.8KW = 19KWH from PV modules, produced from a 1800W PV array (around 22 sqm surface) catching 5 hours long 22KW sunlight = 110KWH sunlight needed to get 3KWH output from my fuelcell (ratio 2.7%) !!
The future of mankind: bringing this lousy ratio up to 20%.

2 Posts
Apr 23, 2006 08:57 pm
A fundamental problem with microwave power

Microwave power beamed from space would need signs posted around reception sites telling birds to stay away during transmission periods.  The problem is, birds don't read.

Actually, lawn care companies currently order birds to stay off of a lawn for 72 hours.  Most birds fly off after contamination and then act sick on some other lawn far away.  Nature quickly gets rid of the birds so there's little evidence of bird death or bird birth defects unless you ask animal rescue activists.

Pets don't read either.  Kids read, but sometimes they test boundaries.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!