Alternators

1 Posts
Feb 9, 2006 03:04 pm
Alternators

I'm sure someone has thought of this already, but is there any way for an alternator (like the ones found in most cars) to be powered by itself?  Such as connecting it to an electric motor which is then used in conjunction with a belt to turn or power the alternator.  And, if it is possible, could it be practical in everyday home use?

351 Posts
Feb 10, 2006 11:55 am
Re: Alternators

The electric motor will consume more electricity than you can generate with the alternator.

Feb 11, 2006 11:22 am

I am not one to squash intuitiveness but I would have to agree with Oso. But dont take our word as the final say so.
While in college, Nikola Tesla claimed "it should be possible to operate an electric motor without sparking brushes." He was told by his professor that "such a motor would require perpetual motion and was therefore impossible."
In the 1880's Nikola Tesla patented the alternating current generator that you speak of bcarter 2000 as well as the ac motor and transformer.
As you may already know.
A gasoline automotive engine requires a high voltage spark to ignite the gas/air vapor once it hits critical compression. The coil works as a transformer steping up +12 vdc to around +10,000 vdc that arcs to -12vdc at the spark plug, BUT!, the only way the coil can do this is by way of the contact on the distributor shaft breaking the connection to the +12 vdc windings causing the field to collapse within the coil and become induced on the 10,000 vdc windings with potential to -12 vdc. "Food" for thought.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/electromag/java/index.html

9 Posts
Apr 9, 2006 07:17 pm

Hello... I have to agree that the original motor/alternator scheme presented, just won't work, even if one contemplates putting battery storage in the loop and ac/dc conversion here and there.  Losses mount as each component is added, _and_ as the old saying goes, "You can't get more out than you put in.".

HOWEVER, I _am_ a believer in "perpetual-motion-plus", as I call it.  It is possible to design a multi-component system that actually will not only operate continuously, with just routine monitoring.  It will actually put out free, useable energy (free, ignoring the cost of buidling this thing).  This is with just good old honest physics... no magic.  I'm currently optimizing the design of such a system.  No more details... until it's safely patented, but I will say this: this "system" is HUGE and expensive.  It *may* be worth it for an average homeowner, but I'm going with wind, myself, for the time-being.  But, as for the huge-ness of it, it is not at all beyond what a utility company would be able to easily handle, mechanically.  If you have the physical space required (the average back-yard is more than enough) and the capital to put into a significant, long-term investment, then yes, you could use my system (it would be great for someone living in a utility-intertie state).  Honestly, to build one of these things, kW-h/mo  produced goes up quickly with dollars spent on increasing the size of the system, BUT, to build a small-net-output system is really not cost effective... yet, anyhow.  Conversly, for the average off-gridder, you can buy standard components to get the power you need for a lot less dough.

Gee, I wonder why the utility companies aren't using something like my design?  Surely, they have engineers just as smart as this one (me), who could have long ago put these units on-line.  I'll leave the answering of that to someone who hates utility companies as much as I do and is more inclined to go on about politics than I.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!