Charging batteries with generator

1 Posts
Nov 8, 2005 04:38 pm
Charging batteries with generator

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-05 AT 04:47 PM (EST)

Hi,

I have a small system in my rural cabin.  2 panels, charge controller, 2 batteries, inverter.  Simple.

Where I live does not get much sun during the winter, and though I hope to set up some hydro soon, I recently got a small generator (with DC output) to keep the batteries charged.  I also recently upgraded to a MPPT charge controller.

Using my old charge controller, I was able to hook the generator's DC output directly to the controller, to monitor the current coming into the batteries.  I could see that it was putting out close to its rated 8 amps of DC current.  However, when I switched to the MPPT controller, now when I hook the generator to it, the controller display shows only .2 (two tenths) amps coming in.  I know this is not accurate, unless the controller is somehow limiting it.  

I have done a bit of research on MPPT controllers, and I know that they expect a somewhat higher input voltage coming from the solar panels (typically about 17 volts), which they step down closer to the battery voltage in order to increase amps flowing into the battery (when the MPPT feature is functioning).  I am wondering if the fairly consistent 12 volts coming from the generator (as opposed to 15-16 or more coming from PV panels) is somehow throwing the controller off.

Has anyone got any experience to share in this area?  It seems that most systems are larger and more complex than mine, as generators usually go through some other component (like an inverter/charger) before hitting the batteries.

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks.

-Laz

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!