modified sine wave and backup power supplies for computers

Oct 25, 2005 03:13 pm
modified sine wave and backup power supplies for computers

Hello.
I have recently bought a solar-powered cabin with an inverter that produces a modified sine wave (MSW) alternating current.  I'm thinking of upgrading the system somewhat and wanted more info on MSW power.  I would like to run a computer system which includes external harddrives.  Normally, at home I have such a system plugged into a UPS (uninterruptible power supply; battery backup system).  I suspect that this configuration would be best avoided because of the ineffeciency the UPS would introduce.  Would the UPS improve the sine wave?  What are the implications of running this kind of gear on MSW power.  Would there be power surges?  Would it be worth buying a much more expensive sine wave inverter?  I wouldn't mind some straight talk on the effects of MSW on all kinds of electrical appliances if anyone has the time and knowledge.  

Thanks.
beedub

Oct 30, 2005 07:55 am
Re: modified sine wave and backup power supplies for computers

In a manner of speaking the home you purchased has a "UPS" of its own.
I started out on my venture into the world of living off grid striving to spend as little money as possible. This demeanor payed off then but after years of living off grid with that same equipment; batteries, inverters, electrical, I would suggest to someone else starting out on this same venture "don't scrimp." If at all possible go ahead and get the 20 year batteries, the best true sine wave inverters, the latest charge controller technology, all new electrical ie; wire, disconects, conduits, etc., etc..

Its alomst time for me to replace my battery bank and the price's have nearly doubled. The inverter has lost some off its capability and has been responsible for the demise of a monitor and a tv and a dust buster amoung other things. You have to be careful with a modidied sine wave or modified square wave (they are the same thing) inveter. The device may seem to operate fine for a while but in time can destroy it and there is no way to know what will and what will not survive being powered by such an inverter.

Writing to you from an e machines computor and monitor (2nd monitor) powered by a Trace DR-1512 that has lost its ability too switch over automaticaly from one vac. input to another and charge batteries.

As for your computors UPS, you may not need it if your home has a system monitor such as the Bogart Tri-Metric, you will learn what times, if any, to not use the computor for fear power loss from weak batteries. That would depend on how well the PV system was designed as compared to how it is uesd. One of the functions of the inverter, is a low battery voltage disconect. Which is something your UPS has as well.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!