411 on equipment needed 2 set up 6/51watt panels

16 Posts
Jan 4, 2005 08:27 am
411 on equipment needed 2 set up 6/51watt panels

hello my name is shawn im buying 8/51 watt solar panels..real cheap
Ive been reading all the questings in this sight
trying to learn as much as possible, Im still feeling alittle lost ..before setting thease up [at the correct angle faceing south]what pertections should I have in place ?I have no paper work to fall back on.
what batterys would be best ,can I use my 1700w inverter that I already own?Im looking to start small for now,learning as I go..Im looking to run my small apt and heating cables in my garden for
now..Id like to hear from all of you and I will respond..sorry my spelling my be a little off sometimes ,Im better w/plants than computers.Im an
organic farmer in ct.

Jan 5, 2005 05:25 am
Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 6/51watt panels

If this is to be a 12 volt nominal system then start by adding up the wattage of all the PV modules and divide by 12. If its 6 X 51 then you have 306 watts. If you 8 X 51 then that would be 408 watts total.
I chose the lesser of the two, 306 watts for, this example of how I would caculate the system.
So, 306 watts divided 12 volts equals 25.5 amps.
Now the NEC and UL together demand the addition of 156% to that amperage when sizing; wires, fuses, disconects, and charge controllers.
So then, 25.5 plus 156% equals 39.78 amps.
A 40 amp charge controller with nothing smaller than #8 awg THHN copper wire and 40 amp disconnects and 40 amp fuses where needed. You can go through all of the temperature rating and conduit fill calculation if you want to, but I feel that the 156% takes care of all that. One thing you may want to do though is consider line loss from wire length. Chances are in a short wire run that 156% will cover that as well.
Now to size the battery bank.
I like to calculate that based on what the needs are and then size the PV array but since you have the PV array I will start there. We know the PV array will put out 25.5 amps at 12 volts, but for how many hours a day will it do this? I am going to say 3.5 hours. Thats what it is where I live on the shortest day of the year Dec. 21.
3.5 times 25.5 equals 90 amp hours a day.
ok, 90 is 20% of what? That would be 450 amp hours at 12 volts of battery storge. Now you will need too round this up when when you start to look at buying batteries. Site conditions have a lot to do with these calculations as well. Your region as well as weather paterns and avialable unshaded sunlight from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm on the PV array will all have a bearing the autonomy of the system.

16 Posts
Jan 5, 2005 08:09 pm

Hello Sunour,
thankyou for all the info..
i have some questions on what your saying.
you said 25.5amps plus 156%=39.78amps  
where is the figure 156 coming from?wouldnt that figure be 90.78? if so that would change the last figure when trying to size the battery bank ...
please dont take this the wrong way im just being cairful w/my figures now .
it sounds like you have panels of your own or you install them,is this correct? what do i put inbetweenthe solar panels and the batteries for protection?you wrote charge controller and fuses?
oh yah..sounds like you live up north at 3.5 hrs of sun light on dec 31,but i know what your saying on the least amount of sunlight for the calculations.what happens when you have 12hrs of sunlight?im ota room .hope 2 hear from u again thk
4 writting me back .do you have a garden?i hope so
im picking up panels 1-6-04 its been a long wait

Jan 5, 2005 08:47 pm

Another way of calculating wire size and fuse's and charge controllers is to take the Isc which stands for Impedance short circuited, or the same as amperage short circuited, from the label on back of the PV module. For a 51 watt panel that will probably be around 3.5 for a 12 volt nominal PV module. While you are looking check the voltage on the label as well if its 12 volts nominal the the Vmp or Volts at maximum power (or what I call working voltage) should read some where between 16.5 to 17.5. Whats the brand name?
Getting back to wire size, take that Isc value and add the 156% I mentioned on the previous post.
What that 156% is for, 125% to satisfy the NEC National Electrical Code in addition to 125% to satisfy UL Underwriters Labratories.
125% x 125% = 156%
The reason for this is because they believe that under just the right set of circumstance a PV module will exceed its Isc value. Some of those circumstance are; freezing temperatures while there is a certian kind of cloud that cause a magnifying effect at its edge while there is a short circuit. Very rare, but it could happen and if it does youll want wire big enough to carry those amperages safely.
Getting back the calculations. I will use 3.5 for the example. 3.5 + 156% = 5.46
5.46 x 6 = 32.76
But thats not the end of it calculating this way.
There is derating of the wire for the number of current carrying conductors in a conduit. Also, the wires temperature rating, the ratings of the terminals in the disconect, ambient winter time air temperatures, line loss, etc., etc.. Suffice it to say that after all of that calculating you will still come up with something just under 40 amps as I showed in the previous post.
Go to www.sandia.gov/pv and high light -Publications - then - Codes - and then - John Wiles Code Corner - to learn more about calculating your PV source circuits.  

29 Posts
Jan 9, 2005 01:34 am

Hi Shawn,
after explanation of the wire and breaker/fuses sizing with safty margin there were still some open questions remaining.
If you feel uncomfortable maybe some neighbor or friend is electrician and can give you a hand.
1) dependend on the 1700Watt inverter you can decide the system voltage 12V or 24V (whatever your inverter input requires).
2) Wiring: never mix plus and minus, use differend colors (e.g. black and red).
if 12Volt system combine all your 6 (or 8 ??) plus wires and your minus wires.
Put a 40Amp DC breaker before the 40Amp charge controller and another 40A DC breaker between controller and battery.
3) the charge controller takes care of your battery management and prevents overcharging. There are bunches of them available, for your 51W PV modules (usually 16.xx Volt peak) no expensive MPPT controller is neededand the commonly used Trace C40 is fine.
4) Hours of sunlight:
In morning and afternoon the sun is very low above the horizon and PV power very limited. Alt-E shop (right column) has a table of min/max/average sunlight hours equivalent per state/city in USA. Usually it's 3-5hours of full sunlight equivalent. Don't fortget that there are cloudy and rainy days as well, with very limited output !!
5) Battery bank sizing: use maximum hours * Ampere =AH. the 50Watt modules usually are rated at 3Amp peak power * 6 modules = 18 Amp * 5 hours = 90AH per max day. As the battery bank is worn off when discharging more than 20% use a battery bank with at least 450AH.
6) Because the rated watt of a PV module is a labatory value with cold module, real live output is smaller, there are losses in wire, breaker, controller etc.. so Alt-E info tells that a battery/inverter system has 30% losses.
So your max. daily output will be 12V * 90AH = a little more than 1 KWH a day in summer.

16 Posts
Jan 11, 2005 07:17 am
Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 10/51wt panels

hi Roland,
thank you for your info ,i couldnt find what  you speak of .fuses ..i picked up my panels and i found that the two i thaught were broken are not,so i now have 10 /51wt working panels.i checked the out put and it is 19.5vts on a cloudy day.where do i purches 40amp breakers and controler?can i buy them used ?if any one out there has one i can buy,trade,or work for pleases say so ..Im on a tight budget for some time now,looks like I'll be on it threw this summer..
im looking at my panels every day dreaming of the day it will power my needs.
the fuses you spoke of are they for dcvt only,does it say 40amp dc on it?
do you have any info on the electric cars,made by ford [I think]? i went on ebay and saw them for the fist time.it looks like top charge is 45mls,but they didnt say the speed or what the voltage is.what size bat bank it has.thanks again for the great info ,im off to work now ill chat after..           shawn

29 Posts
Jan 11, 2005 08:57 pm

Hi Shawn,
So instead 6 panels you have 10 working panels.
So rated peak Ampere will be slightly more than 30Amp, plus the safty margin of 56% = 48 Amp.
------
The Voltage is not changing much with clouds mainly the Ampere will drop. What you are measuring is the 'open circuit' Voltage without load usually approx 3Volt higher (12V panel) than the 'peak' Volt (cold laboratory value). And the Panel under sunlight will warm up and run another approx 1V lower.
------
You find many DC breakers here in Alt-E shop under section fuses/switches etc..
As I am not sure what your mentioned 1700W inverter is running on (12V or 24V), so I propose 2pc outback 60Amp up to 125Volt DC item = 'OBDC-60' for 26.80$ each.
-------
Charge controller to maintain your battery bank 3 stages (floating Volt when full, boost Volt when charging, equalizing Volt every 4 weeks....)
The Trace C40 costs new 125$, maybe somewhere you find a used one for less.
------
Battery bank: 30Amp * 5hours = 150AH per sunny summer day which is 20% of battery storage so the 12V bank should be 750AH capacity (or 24V bank 375AH). The cheap alternative are golf-cart batteries, however they have 200 cycles 80% discharge or 900 cycles 20% discharge and will be worn off in 3-5 years. There are others more expensive good for 2000 80% cycles or 5000 20% cycles good for >20 years or some inbetween good for 10-12 years (900/4000 cycles).
For 12V battery bank:
The golf cart Trojan T105 would be 8pc 95$ each (760$ good for 3-5 years).
The Surrette S530 would be 4pc 215$ each (860$ good for 10-12 years)
The Surrete 6CS-25PS would be 2pc 700$ each (1400$ good for >20years).
-----
Hope this helps you a little bit. Sorry no info about electro cars.

Jan 12, 2005 04:25 am

Before you go and buy the wire and disconect divices you have to know the correct size.
One other thing not mentioned was a combiner box and weather or not the PV array is to be mounted on a dwelling.
Look on the back of each PV module, there should be a sticker with several values printed on it. Look for the Isc value.
That is what will decide the size wires and disconects.
You should really consider getting a licensed, electrical contractor to do these calculations for you. Tell him to take a look at Article 690 in the National Electrical Code handbook if he is not allready familar with photovoltaics. It shouldnt take him or her more than an hour to do it and thats if him or her has to bone up on Art. 690. You need to know the correct;
wire size and type of wire,
size and type of disconects as well as where to place them in the system.
There is lot more too this stuff than just sticking some modules in the sun and running wires here and there. If the wires and their protection (fuses or breakers) are not sized right they can start a fire. Thats why there is the NEC which is a branch of the NFPA the National Fire Protection Association.
Getting back too the combiner box. What these do is bring all of the PV modules together electrically speaking and then you only have one positive and one negative and one grounded conductor to deal with. Also if the PV array is to be mounted on a dwelling (I define dwelling as anyplace where a person is subject to sleep) Then a GFP Ground Fault Protection breaker is required. Whatever breakers or fuses or disconects you use on your PV system should have a UL listed DC (direct current) rating for the voltages and amperages found in a PV system, from the PV array right down to the inverter.
Take your time, study on it some, seek out a licensed electrician  that you are comfortable talking with. Be safe, not sorry.    

16 Posts
Jan 12, 2005 08:06 am

Thankyou Sunour,
your info is most imporant to me.I will take this slow,Ive waited 10yrs to get this far but i wish I took time to learn this befor now.always trying
to live life in the fast lane.I just started to go back to school to learn how to  live in ease;not worry so much.
whats your imput on rebuilt 6vlt  batteries?they are 30$ each .When you speak of cycles do you mean
how many times they charge?

16 Posts
Jan 12, 2005 08:24 am

Hello Roland
I didnt even look to se who sent the message,Ive replyed to the the wrong person .most of the questions were durrected to you.would a rebuilt battery be ok for now? Does cycles mean amount of charges? thankyou for price break downs. I see when I purchase the bat bank it pays off to buy
20yr ones.you both have alott of great info ,thank you for takeing the time to share it .
If theres any questions you may have on landscapeing or gardening feel free to ask me inreturn..i have to go for now and write your info long hand because the printers broken.so i can keep track of what your teaching me..

29 Posts
Jan 12, 2005 09:48 pm

Hi Shawn,
this time it's Roland again.
Just one more answer for the battery bank (In a nutshell): cycles are discharge and recharge again to full level. So over night you discharge and next day you recharge again, this is usually a 20% cycle. If rainy days you might discharge 3 days and start recharging on sunny day4 this might be a 60% cycle but 3 days long.
------
What's this rebuild 6V battery ?? An old golf cart battery, used already 3 years long then drained and refilled with new acid ?? Of course I can't tell how much worn off these are and how many years still usefull, how many % of original AH capacity still available etc...
------
Just to confirm what Sunour is telling: we were both giving some answers based on asumptions, not knowing exactly what inverter, PV modules you are using, where you place it (house roof or garden) etc...  So there are lot of variables, to get the system in place : ground fault if on roof, distance PV module to battery & inverter for wire sizing, if far away string modules for  higher Voltage and use 48 to 12/24V converter or MPPT controller etc,etc...  
That's why my very first reply already contained the proposal to get an friend/neighbor etc.. who is electrician for help as you seem to be very tight on budget and professional but expensive Solar installation company out of scope.

16 Posts
Jan 13, 2005 08:11 am

Hi Roland,
Thankyou for the nut shell.A rebuilt battery is when someone opens it up cleans the plates ,removes the build up from one pole to the next.refill and sell ...life spand unknown to me as of now only.I'll find out next month when theres more $
for ha  ha  I have an older model panel  Kyocera LA51J ...I reach the company that handles this.
contact.Gene Bertsche @Kyocera Solar Inc. in VT..
I bought thease at an auction in CT.I guess the panels are not good enough for others they only wanted the trailer they came on ..This pannel was use by the state to run those big arrows u see on the highway.they come on a nice 7' trailer that is state colar yellow or orange ,,theres my nut shell for you.
I have a broken panel but the contacts are intaked so I put 1/8 glass over it and sealed it .
I  dont want this panel to bring the others down Im thinkinf of putting it on my dads handy scooter.
can I run nine of them?for home.
I rent a room at this time ,all my $is going to pay off my student loans..so I'LL MOUNT it on the ground for now they came in the metal from that was on the trailer ,in a few months they will go back on the trailer they came off of.They told me of the trailer as I was driving off w/the panels,straped down on a snow moble trailer in a snow storm.Iwasnt very happy,knowing that they may fall off ..but I was verry happy to have them.
How do I ground my panels ,theres only 2 wires.?
do I need to ground them as though it were connected to a house?4' copper rod in the ground then a second one 5' away from the first? what would the ground connect to the frame,as you would do for your pool?
my time is running out now ,time for work Im a spring water ;Tanker driver.remember to use your dog gon blinkers out there [and I should say its not fair when 4wheelers as your called only have the blinker on for one blink ..do they think anyone really saw it?thid is your life im speaking of ,is it worth only one blink of an eye?
cause thats all I have most times when they come in my lane and slam on the brakes becuase they werent smart enough to look ahead and see whats going to happen..evil people and its all for me peolpe suck..on a happier note have a great day and drive as though you know better.dont leave your brains in the office and get in your car.

Jan 14, 2005 08:36 am

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-05 AT 05:48 AM (EST)

Before we first decided that we would like to go solar for our electricity I had been living off grid for about fifteen years with no electricity at all. I had the Mother Earth News to keep me company thanks to one of my brothers. Its not easy but like everything else in life humans learn to adapt. I learned to adapt. Humans adapted too living with electricity, but somehow I dont see humans, in mass, every learning how too live without it again. This goes for fossil fuels, and nuclear energies as well. Over 6,000,000,000 humans. Pity about Earth.

One of the best investments I feel that we made concerning the use of photovoltaics was a subscription to HomePower magazine. Another bit of literiture was a book called the Solar Electric Independent Home book availible at New England Solar Electric Inc.. There is also the National Electrical Code book, it can be found at most home building supply stores. Of course it goes without saying that "it would have been better if you had studied on; electricity, electrical wiring, and photovoltaics sooner" but its never too late to start studying on this stuff.

As for the EGC or Equipment Grounding Conductor, most PV modules will have an extruded aluminum frame and somewhere on the back of that frame will be a hole made specifcally for the EGC. It may have a green screw, it may just a little sticker next to the hole that indicates it is for the EGC. Per NEC the EGC on PV module frames must be continuos. In other words, if you have all 9 modules together as one array and one module had to be removed for some reason or other, the EGC would still have to be in place between all of the remaining modules. I am not sure about the rules in your area concerning Earth ground rods but in my area it is an 8 foot rod driven in flush to the ground and a second one is only needed if the first one is not enough. One rod  has to be proven though, so most contractors have started driving two, 6 foot apart. 2 rods dont have to be proved. Also if the power from the PV array is to go into a structure with an existing EGC to Earth, even if its in the form of the 120 vac from the inverter, that EGC on the modules will need to by carried through with the positive and negative leads and bonded too the existing EGC in the structure.

There are too many variables to go through in this forum to give an acurate detailing of how to set up and wire the system you would need to in place. Espeacially an NEC legal one that would give at least twenty years of trouble free service. It really should have a the personal attention of at least a licensed electrictian familar with Art. 690

For a short time I drove an 18 wheeler as well, only I hauled 8,400 gallons of gasoline three or four times a night. My insights on that are defensive although they might sound offensive. One must operate a motor vehicle on the highways as though every other driver on the road doesnt have a clue as too what they are doing. That they cant see any farther than their hood ornament and are totally oblivious too whats behind them. Its a sad thing that I should have that attitude but its what works.

16 Posts
Jan 16, 2005 06:23 am

goodmorning Sunour,
yes I thaught you did read moms mag ,as i have for many yrs too.
cant say your correct enough about them 4 wheelers .fuel? yuk!!!!!!!!!! sounds like your not driving 18w anymore?did you change to a green job?I didnt realize we could haul 67000lbs of liquid?you would have had more wheels than18?!!
thankyou for info on code book,I will optain one.
Im coming up w/new reasons of use for the panels,Ive been reading of a company in newyork thats planning to set up future power stations for electric cars in the US.I should keep this in my mind for in 4-5yrs id like to obtain one also.
but to use there sights wouldnt work for me.
plus if we do go to electric cars so then all prices on panels will go up an up..Ill set up an array at home ,at work.and a back up on my car.
for the past years Ive been charge-ing 4-6 batteries in my truck ,then when I get home from work ive lived on those the best I could. ok Sunour I have no questions for today ,I getting ready for my only day off..and its going to snow all day ..yukkkkk    have a great day  

Jan 16, 2005 12:03 pm

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-05 AT 12:09 PM (EST)

Having a green job would be nice. I would rather be installing photovoltaics, but where photovoltaics are concerned in my area of North Carolina its desolate, espeacially when compared to some where like California. In time I suppose.

Gasoline is lighter than water, so ya it was an eighteen wheeler. The change of jobs came because the pay was lousy. I made better money rigging awnings. Thats where I assited in my first PV array installation. It was an earlier (1992 I  think) installation that converged solar electric with the grid as well as adding asthetic side walk shading, all on commercial space. I have been hooked ever since. Thats about the time I decide to become an electrician as well.

There was a time when we used the pickup truck to provide battery power for the house by way of deep cycle batteries. Mostly lights. A family has a way of growing. Then a hurricane struk. There are so many down here I dont even remember its name, it blew over a hugh Hickory nut tree that was shading the house most of the year and I took that as a sign, so to speak, and started a PV array to charge the batteries. That system has grown as well. Then the flood waters of hurricane Floyd took out the back up generator, but instead of replacing it we spent that money on more PV instead. So now 100% of our electricity comes from the Sun, hence Sunourelectric.

Its funny that you should mention snow. As I type its snowing here.

16 Posts
Jan 18, 2005 07:34 am

hello Sunour;
ya say its funny I mention snow ,its because in CT
we have the same storms as you.My aunt lives in ss.c and is selling her double wide and land.you say your storms are distructive?does this happen alott? ok now..you being an electrion makes sence.
I switched e-servers and lost this sight for a few days.bummer.ive looked around this sight and see you give good info to many who need it ,thats cool of you..can i run my array on 12/2 household wires?i have saved alott from many of my install ing jobs..(im a trick of all master of 3)farming, carpenrty,truck driving..crappy at spelling as you can see...dislecsea almost got my a askid..
ats great to hear your family's getting bigger,i hope your all healthy and happy as well.
ok now, as they say in wissconsin till next time
have a great day..

16 Posts
Jan 18, 2005 07:43 am

ps..what is 690 in your codes?is this something you can scan  and send me..?if so thank you if not its ok ,now i really have to get going to work.its 9 degrees out side today ,fun fun fun .20 below w/wind chill.

Jan 21, 2005 04:45 am

We have been fortunate so far, the worst damage done to us from any hurricane since we have lived here was flooding from hurricane Floyd. Most other huricanes have only blown trees over but not on top of anything. NC hurricane season lasts from June through November and there is at least one that makes its way inland every year somewhere along the Southeastern coastline or the Gulf of Mexico.

12/2 NM-B would carry the current of one of your 51 watt PV modules but the jacket is not rated for outdoor use. If you had to use 12/2, 12/2 UF would be a better choice. But I dont recommend either. I dont know how the inspectors are in your jurisdiction but there is a good chance that 12/2 "Romex" of any type would not pass. Maybe if the PV array was out away from the house, pole mounted for example, they might let you use 12/2 UF from each module to a combiner box where each circuit is protected by a fuse or breaker and the wires are straped to code. Its not likely though because they generally dont allow Non metallic sheathing ("Romex") to de used on anything but wood, or dirt and wood if its UF rated and then it has to be buried to a depth of at least 24 inches. Even when UF has to go through brick or concrete it must be protected with at least a piece of PVC conduit and if the PVC is exposed at ground level it would need to be schedule 80.

This forum is not the best place to enlist advice on electrical work to be performed by a home owner. One really has no way of knowing who they are taking advice from.

There is a reason why we have;
the National Electrical Code,
state licensed electrical contractors that are bonded and insured,
and localized electrical permiting and inspections.
Have you ever been read the Riot Act?
Essentially it says that "if one person is allowed to a thing, then another will want to do it and then another and another and then the next thing you know we have a riot on our hands."
This where governments and laws come into the scene but then it starts all over again when governments and laws are manipulated by speacial intrest groups with lots of campaign monies to donate.
World without end, pity about Earth.

Jan 21, 2005 05:01 am

Scanners not working but I can direct you to a site that has a lot to do with Article 690 -  Photovoltaics of the NEC.

http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumerinfo/heatcool/hc_state_comm.html

As for spelling and grammer and all that stuff, thats the real reason I started visiting and participating in these online forums. It gives me the opportunities to exercise my writting and typing skills and since Renewable Energies is one of my favorite subjects, the Alt-E forum fits the bill. Thanks Alt-E  

16 Posts
Feb 6, 2005 09:09 am

hello Sunour,
Ive been gone for awhile,but im back now .
thankyou for the complete answer on the matter.
im understanding what your saying .only wonder the wire going from inverter to house [in your opinon nonprofesional] or the bank to inverter,could be what ?
the pannels will be located away from house on a trailer w/bank on trailer.this will be mobil,for im still a rentee..im thinking of putting inverter on the trailer in a locked box.
im ready to purchace the fused combiner for the 10pannels..im ready to go back threw response to locate the correct one.
could you recomend a charge controller?
i hope all is well w/u ,have s great day

Feb 7, 2005 08:42 pm

The PV modules and batteries and inverter all on a trailer does simplify things a great deal when compared to a permanent, roof top, residential system.
Again, look on the back of each module and there you should see a sticker with ratings on it. There should be one that is;
Isc, which stands for Impedence short circuit.
This is the maximum amperage the PV module can make under standard test conditions (stc.)
If all ten module are the same then multiply the Isc. by ten. Then add 156% to that figure, this is done because of whats know as "edge of cloud effect." There are times when the edge of certain clouds can magnify sunlight and cause PV modules to outperform their ratings at stc..
Example - if each module has an Isc. of 3 then all ten together will make 30 amps. Then the 156% will bring that upto 46.8 amps.
Any charge controller rated over 45 amps will do nicely in this example. For example a Trace C60. Since there are ten modules then you will need a combiner box or boxes that have a total of at least ten circuits and rated for at least 46.8 amps.
This is all asuming a 12 vdc nominal system. if it is to be 24 vdc nominal then half the amps and half as many circuits.
Ten 51 watt modules totals 510 watts. On the shortest day of the year (Dec.21) in the Northeast you might see as much as 1,530 watt hours of equivalent full rated charge in one day. Divide that 1,530 by the nominal battery voltage. For example 12 vdc and you get 127.5 amp hours which is 20% of 637.5 amp hours. So a battery bank of at least 640 amp hours at 12 vdc would do nicely. Like the Trojan T-105's.

The inverter should be mounted on the trailer as well. In this way all you have to do is run a UL approved a drop cord to the home. It should be  an inverter with a GFCI receptacle.

These figures are all just examples. There are so many varibles to all of what I have written. So dont take these caculations as the final word.
Seek out a qualified electrician near you. See if you can make a trade for his services. Mostly to assist you with sizing and typing the; wire, fuse's, disconnects, and all that will conduct, controll, or condition the electricity. The concern is that the system will at times be unattended and if there is a problem during those time it can protect itself. Check out this link.
http://www.sandia.gov/pv/docs/Design_and_Installation_of_PV_Systems.htm

16 Posts
Feb 17, 2005 06:51 am

Good morning Sunour,
Ive come a few steps closer to completion.
I purchased a combiner box and the 40amp controller
and two 40 amp fuses.i made a mistake and bought
two 60 amp fuses first then i thaught about it
and realized i would blow out my charge controller.
so i called them back up and resovled problembo.
the trailer was way to big for my truck to handle thaugh so im still looking for an all around one for my needs.
I do have an electrician freind who will help me sortta.but i have a question on how to put a fuse or a braker between charge controller and batt bank?  i read here  array to combiner box w/brakers to control to fuse to bat to inverter ,is this correct?  
so much info and i hope on not stumped on the basics?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!