What's the typical voltage on a fully charged battery?

5 Posts
Dec 27, 2004 02:41 pm
What's the typical voltage on a fully charged battery?

I have four 12V deep cycle battery batteries hooked in parallel in our small solar system.  I'd like to know what the typical voltage would be when the batteries are fully charged.  I'd measure it, but the the system is at our cottage which isn't easily accessible in the winter.  

I'm trying to determine the correct resistor size for an LED light that I'm hoping to build.  I did measure the voltage last summer, but can't remember the exact voltage, except that it was over 12V.

Can anyone provide me with a typical fully-charged voltage for these batteries?

Thanks.

Dec 29, 2004 05:57 am
Re: What's the typical voltage on a fully charged battery?

Typically speaking, a flooded cell lead acid deep cycle 12 volt nominal battery at rest with a full charge will be 12.6 volts.
However, after being fully chagred and equalized, like when they are brand new, it can remain at 12.7 for quite some time.
As I am sure you allready know, battery voltage can go as high as 15.4 volts during an equalizing charge. This would of course depend on the size of the PV array as compared to the battery bank as well as other factors like weather.

16 Posts
Jan 2, 2005 06:30 am
vlts in 4/12vlt

the max vlts is 14,if u run as one long battery.i think thats what you were saying ?if not it would be 4x14vlts...im doing the same thing but i put it in my truck

5 Posts
Jan 3, 2005 06:25 am

I managed to get into my cottage on the weekend.  I measured the voltage across the batteries and it's 13.8.  The batteries are flooded-cell lead acid batteries.  Does the high voltage imply that I should lower the high-cutoff voltage on the charge controller?  I think it's at the factory default setting.

Jan 5, 2005 04:38 am

13.8 sounds like a voltage while being charged. What you might have to do is size the resistors going by the high voltage limit setting on your charge controller.
13.8 is a good charging voltage. If the battery voltage is this while at rest, not being charged, thats bad. When I say "at rest" I am saying that the battery is not being charged or discharged for at least 1 hour.
The range of voltages that a flooded cell deep cycle 12 nominal battery can go through on a photovoltaic charging system can be
- this is the point where most 12 volt "gizmos" will not work. Even lights are so dim that they are practically usless.
to: 15.4
- this is an equalizing charge voltage and should only be used for short periods of time. Do not leave 12 volt nominal batteries and charge controller(s) unattended at these voltages.
Without knowing the full specifacations of your particular system there is really no way to narrow this down to a smaller range. One thing is for sure though, there is no one voltage, it will fluctuate.

5 Posts
Jan 5, 2005 11:55 am

You're right.   I checked the voltage during the day, so it would have been charging.  I guess the best solution is to wait until I get back out there and isolate the batteries from the panel (for an hour or more), and then take a reading.  Thanks for all your input Sunour.

462 Posts
Jan 7, 2005 12:05 pm

Bone Scavenger, how old are the batteries and what temperatures are they subjected to? Sounds like they are in a remote location and may not be subject to discharge to fully recharge......

Jan 8, 2005 02:02 pm

Something else that would help, although at cost, is a system monitor such as the TriMetric. It has a feature that records battery low and battery high. If you want to know what they are on a daily basis it has to be reset daily. It also has other features that allow one to keep track of amps hours in and out, battery state of charge, reminders such as days since equalized. A really great device to have. Many more than what I listed.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!