Any suggestions please

1 Posts
Nov 1, 2004 02:40 pm
Any suggestions please

Hello to all,

I am new to Alternate Energy. I would like to ask your opinions. I want to add a solar system to my oil fired hot air furnace using the same ducts in the floor and walls that are there now. I considered the new Solar Max 240 system, however the south facing wall has too many large panels of sliders and glass casement windows for that installation. I do have a large south facing roof which would easily carry the extra weight, however I cannot imagine how they would connect into the heating ducts in the basement. Maybe there is another idea out there. This is a new home and my wife is critical of how it will look when it is completed.

Thanks,  Rick

462 Posts
Nov 2, 2004 03:19 pm
Re: Any suggestions please

Rick ,..or you could go with solar hot water and install a  heat exchanger coil, that feeds off a solar storage tank, within your plenum, heading out into your ductwork....

Nov 7, 2004 04:48 pm
Re: Any suggestions please

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-04 AT 05:17 PM (EST)

I am curious, is your hot water heater fuel oil fired as well?
I would agree with TOM6000.
Solar hot air heaters mounted on the roof can take some big flex duct, not to mention if the ducts are long it could be inefficient, like breathing through a long straw would be for us people. If there is not a closet nearby with room to spare for the supply and return ducts then it might be nescessary to run the smaller water pipes from a solar hot water heater to an air handler that use's hot water from the potable hot water heater instead. Maybe even add a second tank for increased storage.
This is why I asked about your existing hot water heater. If it is fuel oil fired as well then you could just do away with the fuel oil air heater, put an air handler in its place that use's hot water from the existing potable water heater and use the solar hot water heater as supplemental hot water.
A closed loop solar water heater system would preheat a storage tank that would in turn feed the potable water heater reducing the amount of fuel oil it use's. There are lots of options and varibles such as the age and or efficency of the two existing systems. Is it time to replace any of this equipment anyway? (I know you wrote that it is a new home but I dont know if that is brand new or new to you folks.) As you allready know, oil prices aren't going down.
Have you looked at www.kingsolar.com or talked to any local HVAC contractors with expierence in solar energy?
Let us know what you decide. One of the things I would like to see more of in this forum is what folks decide on and descriptions of there systems. Problems they may of had in the installtion, how much money it has saved them, etc. etc.. Best of luck to you all.
http://www.toolbase.org/tertiaryT.asp?DocumentID=2084&CategoryID=945

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!