Best Placement for Generator

2 Posts
Oct 21, 2004 06:37 pm
Best Placement for Generator

We are building off grid and will be using a 10K generator as part of the system. We need help in placement of the generator to minimize the noise. We have a large parcel of land with a varied terrain. Much of the property is wide open and relatively flat but with a steep treed hill on one side. The house will be about 200 ft from this hill. We could place the generator in a utility building on the open rise behind the house, in a dry ravine at right angles to the hill or in an earth bermed building. Which location will reduce the noise from the generator the best.
This property is so quite now that we can hear the wind on the wings of the birds as they turn and we would like to keep it as quite as possible.
Thanks,
Avocado

Oct 22, 2004 04:34 am
Re: Best Placement for Generator

We need
>help in placement of the generator
>to minimize the noise.
Which location
>will reduce the noise from the
>generator the best.
This property
>is so quite now that we
>can hear the wind on the
>wings of the birds as they
>turn and we would like to
>keep it as quite as possible.
>Thanks, Avocado

At the risk of sounding like a jerk,
I would have to say the best place would be the warehouse of the plant where it was manufactured.
Seriously though, did you know that the utilization of electricity by the masses has been going on for only about 100 years. I know elderly people that have told stories of their childhood and living without electricity. Mankind had  survived on the planet Earth for well over 7,000 years without the electricity we all take for granted today.
In a lot of ways electricity has the affects of an addictive drug, but thats all I will say about that, since I dont know you personally.
What has the utilization of electricity actually done for mankind? Acid rain? Dead lakes? Respratory diseases? An ever increasing rate of increase of human population?
From the beginning upto the year 1940, world human population is estimated to have been 2 billion. From the years 1940 to 2004, world human population is estimated at 6 billion. By the year 1926, only 60% of the people in the United States of America had electricity in their homes. Thats just a little more than half.
Mankind does not need the utilitazation of electricity to survive on the planet Earth.
We never have.
It may come to the point where we have to abandon the utilization of electricity in order to survive though. Only time well tell.
Imagine that, a world with no utilitized electricity, oh wait a moment, we dont have to imagine, we just have to look at our history and what we have lost since the likes of Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse walked this Earth.

462 Posts
Oct 27, 2004 10:20 am

Avocado, since this is a alternative energy forum, I too would have to say something along the lines of sunour and "stick it in the trash". Why not invest in a PV array for your vast field. It would be totally quiet....

2 Posts
Nov 22, 2004 10:04 am

>Thank you for your suggestion. We will be using solar and possibly wind but we have a very cloudy rainy season that will not offer enough sun to meet our needs. Yes, we have needs! We are building a retreat/spa and guest will expect some power. We will be using biodiesel from used oil to power our generator. Now, I still need to know where to put my backup generator to avoid noise poluntion.
Thank you

Avocado, since this is a alternative energy
>forum, I too would have to
>say something along the lines of
>sunour and "stick it in the
>trash". Why not invest in a
>PV array for your vast field.
>It would be totally quiet....

Nov 25, 2004 10:41 am

Please accept my apologies Avocado. I tend to be a bit cavalier if not zealious when it comes to peoples misconception of electricity. Its not there fault. Its all been accomplished by generations of misdirection. Kind of like how a magician use's misdirection to move the viewers attention away from one hand with the other hand while the first hand is preparing the trick.
The need for utilitized electricity is an illusion. What has happen to the human race is this; we have been gradually pursuaded through generation after generation to become more and more dependent on comerce and less on self reliance. I cant say it enough, mankind survived for well over 7,000 years without all of the technologies we are paying for (in more ways than one) today.

462 Posts
Dec 13, 2004 12:57 pm

best bet would be to install it in an insulated shed with all openings located on the side away from the house to direct the sound....a good muffler system can also be installed..

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!