New to AE, need some advise

1 Posts
Sep 25, 2004 09:06 am
New to AE, need some advise

Hi Everyone:

Thanks to Hurricane Ivan, my home is now without electricity (I was lucky: most people lost their roofs, if not their entire homes).

From the looks of things, I may not get electricity back for months, so I'm looking into alternatives.

I'm looking for a 5kW+ solution, 220V/50Hz - gotta run the washing machine every now and then .

A petroleum-driven generator is one possibility.  But the running costs seem way to high - works out to approx US$560/month if I run it 8~10hrs/day.

Diesel is another possibility, with slightly lower running costs (~US$500/month).  But the initial cost is more expensive than the petroleum-driven solution.

My average bill - before Ivan took the electricity away - was about US$170/month

So, I'm looking elsewhere.  One thing we have a lot of here in the tropics is sunlight. Can solar power with battery backup fill my needs for a 5KW standby system, and if so, any useful links I can use to spec out a solution?

Sep 29, 2004 03:52 am
Re: New to AE, need some advise

Cost, thats the whole thing in a nut shell.
Typically speaking, an off grid renewable energy (RE) system utilizing; photovoltaics (PV), deep cycle batteries, and an inverter are only cost effective in situations where the cost of running a line from the power company is cost prohibative. Other than that the cost is about the same. The differance is in paying for it a little each month for the rest of your life or paying for it all at once. There is also battery replacement to consider.
So, if your bill was 170 bucks a month, that would be 2,040 clams a year.
Now, if you where to pay this bill for forty years thats 81,600 scamolies.
Wow! if I could of had that kind of dough all at once when I built my system knowing what I know now.
With a stack a jack that tall I would start with;
2 - 5548's
Around 2,000 amp hours of Rolls or HUP Solar One's or the equivilent @ 48 vdc and its eventual replacement.
Then figure up whats left over and spend that on the PV array and its infrastructure; mounts, wire, conduit, disconects, MX 60 charge controllers, and so forth and so on. Who knows maybe even a wind genny.
Or one alternative might be to learn to live without electricity and stick that wad in a sock.
But then again, you cant take it with you. There is a reason wy hearse's dont have lugauge racks and bumper hitches.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!