charging a deep cycle battery

1 Posts
Aug 12, 2004 11:23 am
charging a deep cycle battery

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-04 AT 11:35 AM (EST)

hi.  here is my situation:  
we have a cabin in the mountains of pa which we use all 12v appliances.  our average use when using the cabin is 2 deep cycle car type batteries in a 24 hour period.  what size solar kit/panel would supply enough charge to keep the batteries charged.  i assume we will probably have numerous batteries to compensate for a cloudy day here and there.  i really dont know much about solar power at all, so i have a lot of gaps i need to fill.  any good websites for solar schematics/common components etc.?  we have tossed the idea around of having many batteries and a smaller solar panel which would slowly charge enough batteries to last us a week long visit, however we are worried about leaving the solar system unattended for months on end.  so for now we will be focusing on the feasability of a system which would keep up with our usage on an as needed basis.  
thanks
wes

Aug 15, 2004 07:49 am
Re: charging a deep cycle battery

There have been times when I've set out to learn something new. I would read the books and look over the charts and pictures and all of that but then one phrase or sentence would clear it all up and give me the understanding of it all, kind of like, the last piece in a puzzle. Where batteries are concerned it was this: Batteries do not store electricity, the convert electric energy into chemical energy and store that, until such time as electric energy is needed and then it converts it back.
A simple thing that one may know or at least speculate, but until I read that, everything I had read about; lead, spongy lead, sulphuric acid, amp hours, C rates, and the like still had an ora of mystery.
First: know what your electric needs are and translate them into watt hours. Most electric devices that have a UL listing have there wattage labeled on them but some list only volts and amps.
To do this one will need to know the volts and amps or watts that an electric load demands as well as the amount of time the load is on demand.
Example: a 12 volt nominal motor draws 3 amps for 6 hours, mathmatically this is simply 3 x 12 x 6 = 216, thats 216 watt hours. Also a 50 watt light at 12 volts for 4 hours - 4 x 50 = 200 plus the 216 for the motor is a total of 416 watt hours. (It makes no difference when caculating watt hours if its volts ac or volts dc.)
Second: Once one has the total watt hours both for ac and dc loads, translate this into amp hours by divding the watt hours by a nominal battery voltage. Continuing the example from above: 416 divided be 12 equals 35 amp hours.
This would absolute minimum battery storage capacity. Now figure what number 35 is 20% of, because staying in the top 20% of battery capacity increases its overall life and will give 2 or 3 days of reserve power. This would be a 180 amp hour battery at the 20 hour rate. If anything go larger when pricing a battery bank.
Third: sizing the PV array, at minimum I like to size the PV array so that it can replace that top 20% in one sunny day. To do this one needs to know the number of "hours of equivalent full rated charge." Use worst case which would be winter time. If it were 3 hours then, 35 amp hours divided by 3 hours would be 12 multiplied by the nominal voltage which is 12 which gives us a total pv array size of 144 watts.
This is all over simplified of course and bare minimum in example. Allways round up and when actually making a purchase go to the next size up. In the example above where a battery capacity of 180 amp hours at 12 volts is needed "bump" it up to 220 when making a purchase, this is true the PV array as well, where 144 watts is called for in the example "bump" it up to 200.
If you managed to get this far without me putting you to sleep, goto www.homepower.com and read what they all have to say. Out of all the monies I've spent on my of grid system, the best value over all was a subscription to HomePower magazine.  

1 Posts
Aug 21, 2004 02:26 pm
Re: charging a deep cycle battery

ok i will try to give you a simpl answer to the question there is a fiew things you didnt tell us but we will make a guess
first i am assuming you have around 150 amp hours of storage now 75 per battery

so you are using 150 amp hours a day?
based on this i would recomend around 800 amp hour battery bank as you never want to go below 50 % so this would be around 3 days reserve

now for pv i am not shure of thesun hours there we will assume 4
so you need 150 am hours a day witch is 1800 watt hours so simply speeking you will need around 450 watts of panels to take care of daily uses so i would recomend ading 25% to this somewhere around 575 watts of pv

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!