Internet

Mar 30, 2000 09:35 am
Internet

We are moving to a remote area. I will miss internet. Is there such a thing as a remote modem??

1 Posts
Apr 15, 2000 08:02 pm
Re: Internet

I've worked in remote situations and was able to have access to e-mail and the internet with a cell phone and a laptop.  Anything is possible in this best of all possible worlds.

1 Posts
May 30, 2000 02:31 pm

You can access the internet by Immarsat.  It's
expensive though.  

1 Posts
Jul 8, 2000 12:10 pm

Usually at the time a remote motem is for the use with cells phones.

1 Posts
Oct 27, 2000 10:53 pm

2.4 ghz can provide up to 25miles with line of sight. cisco, lucent, 3com all carry products. I was actually trying to figure out how big of a solar cell and battery i would need for a remote install/self contained unit.

1 Posts
Dec 10, 2000 08:35 am

>We are moving to a remote area.
>I will miss internet. Is there
>such a thing as a remote
>modem??

There are modems that can be used on a cellular phone. The satellite modems currently need a phone connection to send the file request to the service provider which then returns the file via satellite downlink. Two way (uplink and downlink via satellite)systems for civilians are in the works.(The military already has them)Your local phone co. may be able to get an REA grant to pay for the extension of the wireline phone. That is what happened here on my remote mountaintop in Vermont. All I had to pay was the regular installation fee of $18. Good luck. Steve

2 Posts
Jan 31, 2001 12:29 pm

I believe some companies are now offering satellite based internet service.  That might work, depending on the position of the satellite.

3 Posts
Mar 8, 2001 10:47 am

>modem??

George go to Radio Shack,they have satellite hookup for computes and also TV hookup for areas that don`t have cable or good reception.I think it runs about 39.00 a month for the internet and 39.00 for the TV.don`t quote me on price.

GCHandy

1 Posts
Apr 22, 2001 09:14 pm

>>We are moving to a remote area.
>>I will miss internet. Is there
>>such a thing as a remote
>>modem??

Hi, I work for Globalstar.  We provide Satellite phones and data transfer services.  Not as expensive as you might think.  Give them a call 1-877-satphone

Good Luck

2 Posts
Apr 30, 2001 11:19 pm

I recently moved to a remote area (no phone lines/no power lines).  I've just recently got online using Starband's satellite technology.  Even on a portable generator I get fast, stable broadband internet access....I couldn't be happier!  Good luck.......Prospector.

1 Posts
Mar 18, 2002 09:30 am

You can get cellular modems that do the same thing as a cell phone, or you can get a modem for a cable satellite.

1 Posts
Jun 15, 2003 09:42 pm

Directpc will work. In the con us.

1 Posts
Sep 5, 2003 05:24 pm

>modem??

try satellite it works well and is not very expensive

1 Posts
Oct 20, 2003 05:18 am

>modem??

in italy I am using a flat month tariff of 25$ with GPRS using my Philips fisio 825 cellular phone and moden ( price about 150$)
get speed 35K
pretty good
i am using it to write to you
adri

5 Posts
Dec 27, 2003 09:15 pm

check with direcway about 2 way satelite.Thats what I have and it's not bad.A little pricey.Equipment was 480 and install was 100 and 60 a month when I bought a year ago.If I could get phone or cable high speed  I would but I'd never go back to dial up again.Got mine thru best buy.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!