Stumped on inverter selection!

16 Posts
Nov 19, 2015 09:45 am
Stumped on inverter selection!

Hello all,  I'm finally ready to replace my unreliable, modified sine wave inverter with a quality unit and my numbers have me perplexed! I'm hoping y'all can shed some light on me and share your knowledge and maybe even make some recommendations!
I'm currently using a "royal power" 1500w msw 24v inverter... It's installed in my off grid cabin that is supplied by 800w of panels, an mppt controller and 465 ah 24v agm battery bank.
My calculated loads are very small. in fact, my estimated wattage with everything in the cabin on I only about 400 watts! That includes my water pump, freezer, tv, laptop, and lights! That is not taking into consideration surges or the occasional use of a vacuum cleaner or circular saw. (Which both act really weird with my current inverter)
My dilemma: I really like the idea of getting an inverter charger! I have a generator I can utilize for back up charging in case of sun issues. The idle consumption of the inverter chargers has me worried as well as the lack of smaller units available. I was looking at the aims 2000w pure sine inverter charger and it's idle consumption is roughly 60 watts! That's 1400ish watts in a 24 hour period!!!! My system is only designed to use roughly 13-1400 watts per day! I also looked at the magnum 1800 watt inverter charger and yes the idle consumption is lower but it is modified sine wave. I understand my wattage requirement are small but I do like the idea of having a big enough inverter to handle occasional tool and vacuum use. Can anyone shed some light on this subject? I would like to make a purchase before the end of the year to take advantage of the tax incentives.

16 Posts
Nov 19, 2015 09:54 am
Re: Stumped on inverter selection!

I forgot an important factor... I have a budget of around 600-800 dollars. Also, would it be feasible to buy a seperate compatable charger and a smaller, more effecient inverter?

47 Posts
Nov 19, 2015 11:04 am

You are fairly limited in that price range for the features you want. Samlex just came out with an incredible new pure sinewave inverter/charger, EVO. The 2200W 24V model is $1300. https://www.altestore.com/store/Inverters/Off-Grid-Inverters/2000-to-2999-Watts/Samlex-EVO-2200W-24V-Pure-Sine-Wave-InverterCharger/p11913/

To stay within your budget, and because you don't have high wattage needs, the idea of having a separate inverter and AC charger may be the way to go. The Samlex SA-1500-24 would give you plenty of room for the surge of your tools, and is over $500. https://www.altestore.com/store/Inverters/Off-Grid-Inverters/1000-to-1999-Watts/Samlex-1500-Watt-24V-Heavy-Duty-Inverter/p9791/.It has a low power mode to save energy at under 1.5W.

Then an Iota AC Charger at around $200 would keep you in budget, https://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/AC-Battery-Chargers/Samlex-SEC-2415UL-24-Volt-15-Amp-Battery-Charger-UL/p10217/
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2015 12:07 pm by Amy Beaudet »

16 Posts
Nov 19, 2015 11:52 am

Hi Amy!! Thanx for the reply! That new samlex inverter charger is a monster!!! I like it! But the link says it's 1300 not 900? I could swing 900 for that bad boy but 1300 is a lil too far out.  The idle consumption looks great on it as well!

16 Posts
Nov 19, 2015 11:55 am

Am I looking at the wrong price guide? The samlex 1500. Sells for 519 an the iota sells for 257?

47 Posts
Nov 19, 2015 12:05 pm

Sorry, my PC was messed up, I was looking at the wrong prices. You are right. I updated my reply with the right prices, and swapped to a different charger to get you back on budget.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2015 12:08 pm by Amy Beaudet »

16 Posts
Nov 19, 2015 12:17 pm

Darn! I had an itchy debit card for that big boy! Is it a fair assumption when I'm looking at idle consumption  that if the rating is say, 60 watts, will that equate into 60wh therefore equaling 1440 wh per day? I understand most inverters go into a power save mode that use considerably less current. But am I looking at the numbers correctly?

47 Posts
Nov 19, 2015 01:00 pm

Right, 60W is the instantaneous draw. Over 1 hour, it is (60 Watts x 1 hour = 60 Watt hours). Over 24 hours it is (60W x 24h = 1440Wh).

16 Posts
Nov 19, 2015 01:08 pm

Thanx Amy!! Your knowledge and insight is most valued!!!!!!

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!