Mounting panels to the roof

1 Posts
Nov 10, 2015 10:10 pm
Mounting panels to the roof

I have purchased an IronRidge solar panel mounting system to mount 33 280 watt panels to a metal roof. The plan is to use Iron Ridge slotted L foot to go between the rails and the roof and use  lag screws to fasten the L foot to the roof. With all of this in mind I have three questions:

1. What is the optimal spacing between the panel and the roof. Currently with the height of the L-Foot and the height of the rail the bottom of the panel frame will be approximately 4 inches off of the surface.

2. How long and what size should the Lag screws be? They will be driven into 2" X 6" purlins.

3. Should I use stainless steel lag screws?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give.

Bob

47 Posts
Nov 19, 2015 10:46 am
Re: Mounting panels to the roof

Sorry for the delay in answering.
1. Depending on where you are, and how hot the roof gets, the standard space of the L-foot plus the width of the rail is generally enough air space between the roof and the panels. If you are in extreme heat, additional standoffs or a longer L-foot may be helpful to increase air flow and keep the panels cooler. For metal roofs, I like the EcoFasten L-foot with the EPDM bushing to help seal the hole. They are available in 3" or 6" lengths, for a higher mount, https://www.altestore.com/store/Solar-Panel-Mounts-Trackers/Roof-Mounts-for-Solar-Panels/Flashing-for-Roof-Mounts/EcoFasten-Solar-SIM-L-102-6-Tall-L-Foot-with-Simple-Seal-Bushing/p11108/ .
2. It depends. There are calculations to determine the length of the lag bolt needed that include wind loading for your area and type of wood for the rafters. Let's assume 10.6 sqft per panel and 4' spacing between L-feet (3 rows of 11), that would require 60 roof connections. Assuming the array needs to withstand 50psf wind uplift force the equation is 50 psi x 10.6 sqft = 530 lbs per panel x 33 panels = 17,490 lbs for the array / 60 L-feet = 291.5 lbs per L-foot. There is a chart in the Wood Engineering and Construction Handbook for what length Lag bolt is needed based on if the rafters are Southern Yellow Pine, White Spruce, or Douglas Fir. For example, a 5/16" bolt in White Spruce can handle 227 lbs per inch. 291.5 lbs / 227 lbs = 1.3" of the lag bolt must be in the rafter. Add an inch for going through the L-foot, roof, underlayment, etc, and you need at least a 2.5" stainless steel lag bolt. I'd use 3" for good luck ; )
3. Yes, use stainless steel lag bolts.

Amy Beaudet
Solar Queen
altE Store

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!